WOL (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Can anyone recommend a very reliable WOL method or a motherboard (preferably socket 1155) and cpu combo that is very good at handling network waking events?

I have an existing server with Gigabyte 430 microATX mobo and AMD X2 that doesnt really offer a decent solution as its a bit flaky at waking when requested by clients on the network, or TV server recordings etc.

Are there any boards that are a bit more geared towards WOL?

TIA

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Thanks, but id rather not have to pay for 3rd party software when WOL is available out of the box with most motherboards. Its just a case of getting a recommendation of one that works well.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Why do you think that if the wol is not supported by your device? How did you tested it?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    My current server does support WOL, but it is very temperamental, hence my question about finding a reliable setup. My current build seems to either not wake up for network events, or wakes up when it shouldn't.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I think any motherboard supports wol which is not older more than 5 years.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Can anyone recommend a very reliable WOL method or a motherboard (preferably socket 1155) and cpu combo that is very good at handling network waking events?
    Based entirely on hearsay... I was under the impression that Intel networking chips are regarded as amongst the best available, either integrated on the motherboard, or as a separate PCI or PCI-Express network card.

I have an integrated Intel network adapter on my Dell motherboard, and I recently installed an Intel PCI card to give me a second network socket. Both support the following WOL options:

(1) Wake on Directed Packet
    (2) Wake on Magic Packet
    (3) Wake on Magic Packet from power off state
    (4) Wake on Link

I was a bit surprised at "wake on magic packet from power off state", so that might depend on appropriate support being available on the motherboard. I use "wake on link" for the PCI card, and "no WOL" for the motherboard adapter.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom