Working Free US EPG (1 Viewer)

Atreides

Portal Pro
June 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
O ok, I see. Sorry about that. I am about to go to sleep, but I will try that tomorrow. I am getting a code in the column you said, but the task runs fine when I tell it to run, so I thought that if there was an error, it would show up when I ran it. I cant recall the code either but I will check into all of it tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.

akajester

Portal Pro
October 13, 2008
Home Country
Just wanted to drop a line and say that this thread got my "no cost" epg working. I dropped SD last month so it was exciting to get this working again. Thanks!

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Is there a way - I'm sure there is - could someone help me understand what I would need to modify (the xmltv.dtd, or the TVGuide.xml file) to append the "Date" field to the end of the "Desc" field so I could tell when a tv show was new? I really like knowing this - it serves as my first data point when I read a description to know if it may be a repeat - and it doesn't seem from reading the database (using MySQL workbench) that the 'Date' field is being utilized by MediaPortal.

flamaest

July 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Questions;

1. Would any of these USB tuners come with an EPG software which supports TitanTV?

--DVICO Fusion HDTV5 GOLD USB

--PLEXTOR PX-TV402U

2. I noticed MythTV includes something called EIT downloading. Does this get the EPG from the cable company? Does this work well?

3. Is it just worth it to pay the $20 to get the MC2XML version for the enhanced MS service. And how long will this service be around?

Thanks all,
    Fabian.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I'm using ATSC tuners and tuning OTA - no cable, no QAM. Are you trying to use TitanTV or the tuners you mentioned? I can't say about TitanTV but I've had good luck gathering the guide via MC2XML using the legacy MS and terrestrial for my local OTA reception! I recruited a buddy to help me write a C# program to perform the 'adjustments' to the mc2xml-retreived file and write out a 'modified' TVGuide.xml that the XMLTV plug-in (MP 1.1.0.0 RC4) imports.

Maybe you should tell us what you need to tune - ATSC, NTSC, or QAM. What hardware do you have, can get, or plan to purchase? Are you leaving MythTV/Linux or just contrasting? Will you be capturing S-video from a satellite box, or something like that? I can use this method to get my guide from the legacy microsoft site, don't know how long it will work, do not know whether the 'enhanced' service will last any longer, or have any additional or 'enhanced' data or if it's just another site. Besides, I can always go to SchedulesDirect with $20/year and KNOW I can get the data!

flamaest

July 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply.

I am using two -- DVICO Fusion HDTV5 GOLD USB tuners, on Mythubuntu 10.04, connected to a Charter Cable line for QAM channels.

I have an old PLEXTOR PX-TV402U which I never installed the Windows CD for, so maybe that has an old 30-char TitanTV key I can sniff out to use with my DIVCO units via MC2XML... ?

Does this help..?

Thanks again,
    Fabian.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I don't have experience with those tuners. Please fill in your My System (in your User CP) so we don't have to ask your OS, etc. I'd try them both on a MP installation and see if their drivers are picked up by MP... that's about all I can tell you. Other than that see the tuners I'm using. You keep poking at the TitanTV 30-digit key - why? In my case I'm getting everything I need and not from TitanTV. It's an easy task, follow this guys post as well...

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I had PM'ed a couple of you asking whether your guide was still coming in. I tried reinitializing mc2xml by deleting the .dat file and selecting legacy microsoft/terrestrial... when I did I got a full load of data! So it is still an active site! What I had in my bat file was the -d 336 option to ask for 336 hours of data, or 14 days. I can't say whether this is the issue but how do you ask for 2 weeks worth of data?

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    Am I the only one here not getting Season and Episode Numbers?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I think some of the new shows have this issue. I'm guessing the loop hasn't been closed and while it takes Season and Episode to integrate w/My-TV-Series to obtain show details, this isn't flowing to the databases we're pulling from thus we aren't getting it. OR are you saying ALL Season/Episode data is absent?

BTW, In my previous post I was lost about 2-weeks worth of data... I was using mc2xml with a filename option which somehow was screwing this up. I modified the batch file to use only the mc2xml (which returns a xmltv.xml file) and then having the batch file rename TVGuide.xml as another file which I was using a C++ app to modify the contents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom