WorldWeather plugin v1.10.0 for MediaPortal 1.3.0 and higher (7 Viewers)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Do you have proper city code and postal code in your weather profile? I'm not 100% sure which one wetter.com uses as I always have both set to correct values.
    GB0KF0976 seems to be the right city code for Nottingham. On website there is forecast for Nottingham available, so I think this should be working in WorldWeather plugin also.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi. I actually went on wetter.com, found my town and took that GB code out of the URL and it still didn't like it. Just says it can't get any weather :-(

dennsy

August 31, 2012
    Home Country
    Aruba Aruba
    Now google weather API is down. But you can find other weather data providers.​
    I have a weather / forecast service. All data and API is free. If you want to get more infofmation about free weather and forecast mapping service, and API, welcome to http://openweathermap.org/wiki/Main_Pag
    Main page with map and real weather is here http://openweathermap.org
    To connect the weather service to your MP you can use API. About API http://openweathermap.org/wiki/API
    We are ready to provide you any kind of support. If you have any questions please email denn@openweathermap.org

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear community,
    yesterday I had the first chance to read posts about this and other plugins of mine and I feel tired and confused about supposed "bugs", "malfunctions" and other problems. Also I must wondering about insults about my work. For that reason, my motiviation to provide free extensions for MediaPortal has lost completely. I can't understand, why some users to grumble about non-working functions, although solutions, hints and configuration examples are documented and repeatedly discuss in the plugin thread.

If I had some wishes, please read the following bullets:
    1. Please read the documentation carefully and search the plugin thread, if you feel, there is a plugin problem. I don't have wrote the manual for your recycle bin, it costs me relatively time as writing code.
    2. If you have a problem to display weather information, please try the troubleshooting steps before and do not post presumptions. These posts helps nobody, also problem/issue posts without your weather configuration, log files and other information doesn't assists me to find the root cause. I hope, in the future the users takes time for this, otherwise it will be ignored.
    3. If you have a special problem, which is not replicable, please try to annotate "steps to reproduce". This is the only way to support a developer with the required information to find a solution. I do not have thousands of machines to adjust any MediaPortal installation.
    4. Sometimes it is useful, to think more forward. Means, the plugin use internet and requests provider information, not all problems must come from the frontend. In the last time there are a lot of questions, where the root cause was a bad internet connection or a provider problem. Please remember, that this can also be the problem.
    5. There are a lot of steps in my release cycle (nightly builds, release candidates) to test the plugin before the next release becomes official. Often I have said "please test it ...". Please help me to find problems earlier and not with a official release.
    Now, some answers to the last posts:

Looks like Google doesn't like automated queries to it's weather API...
    Correct, a lot of Google user groups has reported this issue. Some users said, the service is completely down, other means, it is a domain or CDN server problem. Please stay tuned, hopefully the service is back and stable in the next few days.

How about Weather Underground for a replacement?
    At the beginning of this year, we had a discussion about the inclusion of this provider. I'll give a clear statement for this and most of my users has support this. If this weather provider want to have too much personal information like name, street, city and birthday for a personal key, I must say NO for this. There was a intiiative from a user, who has send a mail to this company to get sponsorship prices and accounts. Unfortunately, there was no feedback. Maybe you want help here?

Got Yahoo working finally, after spotting the comment on putting a * before the WOEID. Not too intuitive!
    See my first bullet, if you have a better solution please post it, "not too intuitive" is ridiculous.

I think we need a longer term solution...
    Why we need a long term solution? This plugin support WorldWeatherOnline, wetter.com, Yahoo and Yr.No (and with the newest nightly build AccuWeather). Is this not enough for a cost free plugin?

... Have everyone from Germany a worldweather.xml with 4 or 5 Dayse Weather foracst for me ???
    A weather profile doesn't help anything. The settings are saved in the MediaPortal.xml and can be easily changed inside the configuration dialog.

... that I can no longer view TV channels. ... Has anyone had the same issue or any idea what the "bug" is? ...
    What's your intention to declare this as a bug? This plugin doesn't use any TV related routines or codecs and cannot be the root cause for this. The only possible problem can occur, if a notification dialog of WorldWeather cames up. These can be disabled in the configuration dialog.
    ... I've solved the problem by following Holzi's advice and changing weather provider away from Google. This solved the problem... although I'm still confused as to why.
    Does it works now as expected?

... With the worldweather.xml from my post I can not Show Live TV.. Error "*.ts cannot be played".
    The weather profile works as expected, please provide steps to reproduce.

... In the Worldweather.xml not saved the Provider in Settings. Is this a Issues or save the World Weather this Information in a another location.
    Configuration related settings are saved in the MediaPortal.xml, the weather profile in WorldWeather.xml.

Last but not least you can find the newest nightly build of WorldWeather v0.6.1 in the fist post of this thread. The following changes/enhancements are included:
    • Support of the new provider "AccuWeather" with current and 5-day weather forecast (longitude/latitude required)
    • Support of Google was not removed, but limited. Maybe the full functionality will be reactivated, if Google decide to support the weather API again. If I cannot see any progress here, it will be removed in the next official version.
    To install the nightly build, please follow the installation steps, which are documented in the appropriate manual. Important:Please don't forget to copy the new provider logo to the skin folder and WorldWeatherIconMapping.xml to the correct folder.

These was my 2 cents for today, for the next weeks I'm not at home and does not have any chance to solve/check problems and/or issues. Please understand this and respect my statements, maybe my frustration has gone after my trip to the sunny south.

Thanks to @Holzi, @Lehmden and all other moderators for your support in the last days.

Cheers, Micropolis

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi, your probably going to hate me! But whilst I was trying to fix my issue I looked on the original post and it says the manual is below but I couldn't find the link! Just links to image groups. Where can I find it?

jmvaughn

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 7, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Micropolis,

Please don't be discouraged by a few negative people. There are many more of us out here quietly grateful for all your hard work on this essential plugin.

Thanks,
    John

Last edited:

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi, your probably going to hate me! But whilst I was trying to fix my issue I looked on the original post and it says the manual is below but I couldn't find the link! Just links to image groups. Where can I find it?
    There is a PDF file farther down, under "Attached files".

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Found it! Thanks, my ignorance not looking very well.

I think its a fantastic plugin, one of only a handful that is ever on my setup. I'd be gutted if it went away :( I do personally think these massive threads are more difficult to navigate and source information though, this plugin must be 'big' enough for its own forum? Or do you choose not to?

Thanks!

EDIT: OK, having read the manual! I wasn't putting the city code in the postcode field (as required by wetter), now I've done that weather is working very nicely again :) thanks!!

Last edited:

Micropolis

Portal Pro
    July 22, 2009
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dear dennsy,

Now google weather API is down. But you can find other weather data providers. I have a weather / forecast service. All data and API is free. If you want to get more infofmation about free weather and forecast mapping service, and API, welcome ... We are ready to provide you any kind of support.

thank you very much for your offer and a warm welcome to the WorldWeather thread.
    As I posted before, I'm "out of office" for the next 2 weeks, after this I'll take a deeper look the the API and contact you personally. I'm happy to have such support like yours.

Best regards, Micropolis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom