[WTA] How to disable VMR9 on Media Portal (1 Viewer)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    NEI said:
    Now this all sounds reasonable, but then tell me why the heck i can play the same videos on the same machine with WMP10 without a problem!

WMP 10 is probably not using VMR9 and FSE? That's all I can think of. Maybe WMP is using a different and more efficient codec than MP?

NEI said:
    Why not stay with VMR7 if VMR9 uses so more resources?
    I think there are several reasons that range from GUI transparency to the Stream Buffer Engine using VMR9, but I really am not qualified to speak on this subject.

yumcimil

Portal Member
    December 18, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm having a similar issue with playback of the BBC Planet Earth series. It's a 20mbps h264 .ts stream w/MBAFF interlacing.

The hardware is a PCI Express 6600GT w/256MB RAM outputting 1280x720 over component video (91.31 beta drivers, have tried others with no changes), and an AMD 64 3800 X2 processor, with 1GB of RAM. I'm running CoreAVC Pro 1.1, and Media Player Classic copes fine in overlay mode, but Mediaportal stutters, and stutters badly. Also note that I've tried the cyberlink h264 decoding, and it's quite a lot worse.

My question is, do I need to upgrade my video card to a 7600GT, or something similar? I'm happy to do so, just need some guidance. :)

NEI

Portal Member
    April 25, 2006
    I made some tests with VLC and saw, that deinterlacing is the biggest factor! I can only use "Mean" ("Mittelwert") mode. With every other it stutters! (CPU is at 35% only!)
    Then i tried to change deinterlacing in the NVidia Decoder settings, which i use for MP. But somehow those are ignored? Could this be possible? Where can i change the deinterlacing MP uses for movies?

Thanks

mogi_dk

Portal Member
    March 24, 2006
    Vildbjerg
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    OK, that explains a lot - then all of this is useless and HDTV viewing should be removed from MP :p

Then this post is closed :)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    mogi_dk said:
    I think what the MS link stated is that HDTV needs 10Gb/s as in giga-bits and not giga-bytes.

I just found a quick Intel link - http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/pciexpress.htm - which seems to state that the pci express x16 is capable of 4GB/s (in each direction) as in giga-bytes (so if I am right not even pci express x16 can support 10GB/s :)

Just a quick note...

No you misunderstand. It's not AGP or PCIe bus bandwidth, it's memory bandwidth between the GPU and memory on the video card. You guys seem to be missing the point...VMR9 means more stuff is done IN THE VIDEO CARD.

This is hilarious. You folks are in complete denial...I give up. Have fun with your stutters.

NEI

Portal Member
    April 25, 2006
    Ok, you're right Commodore, but then nobody is telling me why it is working with VLC? Why the heck use stuff that needs VMR9 if performance is so terrible!

petteram

Portal Pro
    November 4, 2005
    Norway
    I have done the same thing as Commodore 64.
    Didnt get stutterfree HD before I bought the Gigabyte 6600GT.
    Went trough 5200, 5700 and 6200.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    NEI said:
    Ok, you're right Commodore, but then nobody is telling me why it is working with VLC? Why the heck use stuff that needs VMR9 if performance is so terrible!

Using VMR9 has many pros:
    - DXVA can be used in hardware if codec & HW supports it
    - Better image quality
    - Drawing GUI on top of the video doesn't flicker
    - Better scaling quality
    - VMR9 has improved timing code

at least those...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom