Operating System WXP or Vista or Windows 7 (x86 or x64) (1 Viewer)

jman06

Portal Member
June 8, 2009
everyone is saying, Win7 86? If have the hardware, why not 64? I mean, that way you would have more RAM available to apps/games/etc. Or am i wrong?

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    My personal take on it would be that for a dedicated HTPC running MP, most of the time you are using well under a Gig of RAM, and there's no 64-bit version of MP so no practical performance benefit.

On a machine thats doing more than just HTPC duties, yes there are advantages if you can get 64-bit apps and hardware drivers, etc are not a problem to obtain. These days its not that difficult in most cases and so no big stretch. Personally I still find there's a PITA factor in setting up 64-bit systems compared to x86 because there's always at least one hiccup caused by the platform and some compatibility issue. I cant be bothered with this because the apps I run dont show any real benefit in 64-bit. Again this is a personal opinion based on my own experience.

If you're up for it and can see situations where 64-bit will give you performance advantages, then absolutely its worth doing. Im sure you're not as lazy as I am! :)

There was a thread on this topic recently in AVS forums. It was surprising what a heated debate occurred over such a seemingly unassuming question.

The thread is HERE if you'd like to have a look.

jman06

Portal Member
    June 8, 2009
    Thanks for the informative reply.

So, as a student, you can buy Windows 7 (legal copy) for $27. So I did and installed it and decided to test MediaPortal on it and compare it to 7MC.

After a good couple of solid hours of testing and examing, and comparing, I think I'll have to stick it out with WinXP Sp3 for my dedicated HTPC (although I use it for gaming, internet, etc) too. My reason for right now, WinXp just seems more stable and DEFINITELY more customizable than Win7. Heck, I can even change the bootscreens very easily within Xp and make it bootup a totally Mediaportal machine, with no hint of Windows OS anywhere, except when I close mediaportal obviously.

Although, mediaportal played just fine on Windows7 *with Vista compatibility*, the only thing that took a long time to figure out was the extensions of video files. IE .mkv. WinXP just gives you 1000% more function and customization to it. Although, Windows 7 is smoother and better looking than XP, but I have to say, as a dedicated HTPC where it boots up and automatically starts into Mediaportal - there is no need for that stuff.

So, with my dedicated machine, WinXP it is.

Oh, and 7MC, the plugins community has made some good progress, but IMO, its very seamless with mediaportal. IE, to access my PC games and emulators is right there on the main screen. And to scroll between different games or systems is cake, and I can change the view very easily. 7MC on the other hand is a hassle...I have to scroll up to the top to Extra Library, and choose EmuCenter, have it load, choose my system, choose my rom, wait for a sec for 7MC to minimize and load the emulator. It's just not as easy, plus, the layout or the views is too much eye-candy and no simplistic in mind.

Now, I can see why so many people choose other frontends such as XBMC and Mediaportal (my fav) for their dedicated HTPC machines. Media Center, although it looks good and is very smooth - it lacks in functionality, EXCEPT when it comes to TV. That's there ONLY strong point in HTPC audience.

Anywho, this is my opinion and my testing of HTPC with Win7 and WinXP, when it comes to functionality and customization.

WinXP + Mediaportal > Windows7.

But my laptop will stay with Windows7. It's the future anyways and I need to force myself to like it and learn of its ways....

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Curious why all the devs are saying to go with Win7 x86. Why not x64 if my hardware is 64-bit and I have more than 3GB or RAM? Are there performance issues with running MP on 7 x64? Is it possible for me to build MP as a 64-bit application (of course that would mean building all the plugins as x64 as well)?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MP1 & Plugins, are 32bit applications that use 32bit drivers / filters. No advantage in 64 bits. Also 2gb ram is more than enough for mediaportal.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    MP1 & Plugins, are 32bit applications that use 32bit drivers / filters. No advantage in 64 bits. Also 2gb ram is more than enough for mediaportal.

True, and understandable. However, 32-bit applications run great on 7 x64. I have 7 x64 on my other machines and all my 32-bit applications run great. In fact, I'm writing this reply in a 32-bit version of Firefox on 7 x64.

My question was: does MP run better on a 32-bit OS or does it run just as good on a 64-bit OS? If the latter, then I'd rather go with a 64-bit OS. If the former, then I would re-consider my options and perhaps stick with a 32-bit OS.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't know the answer to your question, but some plugins/external MP applications (more so the older ones) assume mediaportal lies /program files (x86)/ so they need to be customized or have problems on 64bit. This is probably not really an isssue for the newer well written plugins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom