XFace freeze problem - HELP (1 Viewer)

ChiChi

Portal Member
October 26, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, I am new to MP and will appreciate any help from the veterans.

I really like the look of XFace, but I seemed to have problem getting it to work properly for some reasons. I uninstalled MP V0.2.2.0 and installed V0.2.3.0 RC3 and XFace. The MP will start up fine and I was able to navigate through various functions (e.g., MyMusic, MyVideo, etc.). However, once I am in a specific function, the GUI will freeze up and would not respond to keystrokes. I could "unfreeze" it by toggle the Alt-Enter key. I do not have any problem with the standard Blue Two Wide skin.

I assume my problem is a result of incorrect installation procedure since I did not see others complain about a similar issue.

I installed the XFace by downloading the package and extract the zip package directly under the C:\programfiles\teammediaportal\mediaportal\skin directory. Is this the proper way to do it?

Is there any other settings that I need to change to install XFace properly?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    ChiChi - Please provide details about your system, especially details on your video card and driver version.
    Can you repeat the problem on the same screen?

ChiChi

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I am using the on-board video capability on the GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard. I can repeat the problem on the same screen. In fact, I have the same problem with myMusic and myWeather, where active information was displayed and eventually freeze up.

Here is my basic system information:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 4800+
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 800
    Video: Integrated GPU and ATI Radeon X1300XT
    Video Driver: ATI Catalyst 7.3

I don't have any PCI card installed at this time. I just use the on-board video and audio feature. Let me know if additional information is needed. Thanks for helping.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Try using ati video drivers 7.2. This definitely fixes freezing problem.

Some say 7.10 also fixes it but have not tried it.

ChiChi

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will give it a try and report back. Thanks.

ChiChi

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I tried the Catalyst 7.02 and indeed it fixed the freeze up problem. I tried the latest Catalyst 7.10, and it too has the freeze up problem. Something must have be introduced after version 7.2 that caused the Xface to freeze up. Does it mean, for those who want to use xface must stay with version 7.02?

Just FYI, the Catalyst 7.10 seems to work fine with my on-board ATI graph device.

BTW, thank for helping me out.

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Does it mean, for those who want to use xface must stay with version 7.02?

Ypu will also find that this is required for all skins now. I had problems with "BLUETWO WIDE" and also "Spinsafe Relvolve" freezing when the verison was higher than 7.2.

I also found that when I rolled back to 7.2 I could turn on DXVA and not get a black screen with video. Still, I don't know if I am actually getting hardware accel though. CPU utilisation is still the same.-

ChiChi

Portal Member
    October 26, 2007
    Home Country
    I did not have any problem with Blue Wide 2 skin with Catalyst 7.07. I was able to use myVideo, myDVD, myMusic, myWeather without any issue with Catalyst 7.07 verion.

Originally, I thought I had Catalyst 7.03 installed based on the information provided by the motherboard manufacturer web site. I then determined I had Catalyst 7.07 installed on my system. I followed the instructions at TweakGuides (http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_3.html) to uninstall my old driver and installed the new Catalyst 7.02 driver.

I too found that other skins such as SpinSafe Revolve 0.2.3.0 v0.8.7 and Razor 0.2.1.0 suffer the same freeze up problem with Catalyst 7.07 version.

I do not know much about skin development. I wonder if those custom skins use some APIs that no longer supported by later Catalyst versions.

dudil

Portal Member
    October 27, 2007
    Hi,
    I have same problem with same MOBO, where can I get Catalyst 7.02? it seems that from ATI site there is only 7.1 to 7.9 on the old drivers and the new one is 7.10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom