XMLTV importing channels "successfully" but NO PROGRAMS. Please help! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Connell

Portal Member
July 27, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi everyone,

I cannot tell you how much I would appreciate someone's help.

I have been trying to get XMLTV working for over 3 weeks now. I have tried everying that I am capable of and I can't get it to work. I have tried a number of forum directed 'work arounds' to no avail.

My attatched tvguide.xml has been compiled from THIS source as WebEPG doesn't offer all of the programs that I get here in Brisbane, Australia. This means that, when using WebEPG to create a tvguide.xml for XMLTV, I can't map very many channels.

Currently, when importing the tvguide.xml file, all of the channels "import successfully" (see attached "Image 1").

Image 1.jpg

The also seem to be mapped correctly (see attached "Image 2").
Image 2.jpg

However, no programs are importing and when I go into Mediaportal there is no guide data displayed (see attached "Image 3).

Image 3.jpg

For you information:
- Both the xmltv.dtd and tvguide.xml are in the same folder
- I have tried using the tvguide.xml that is generated from WebEPG to no avail
- I have tried using the standard DVB-T EPG grabber, but for some reason all of the program information is completely inaccurate (I think the programs that do appear in mediaportal are inaccurate because they seem to be delayed by several hours).

Please ask me for anything that you may need to help me.

I would greatly apprecite someone's help.

Kevin
(Australia, Queensland, Brisbane)

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi Kevin, did you also saved your mappings? See 2nd image, next to the export button. To provide you some help, it is necessary that you post your tv server logs. Zip the files in c:\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal tv server\logs. This is a hidden folder, so you need maybe to correct your settings in the file explorer.[DOUBLEPOST=1343448000][/DOUBLEPOST]I just looked in your tvguide.xml. Is this accurate because if you look into it, there are only data for programs from 2010 and 2011??? So here you have to check your source.
Another good source for Webepg is the https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/webgrab-plus-a-new-xmltv-grabber.88425/ . This works fine for me and you can provide different sources.

Kevin Connell

Portal Member
July 27, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Thank you so much for you help.

I'm sorry for not posting the log files. I have attached them to this reply.

Yes, that attached tvguide.xml is the one that I am using. I didn't realise that the programs were not current. This can't be helping the situation. I have tried so many ways of getting a compatible tvguide.xml file that has all of my channels.

Yes, I have been saving the mappings after refreshing them.

I have tried several methods of generating a suitable tvguide.xml file. I had some luck with "xmltvDownload-1.5.2r2" but again, I couldn't get several channels. They did come up in the EPG though.

Yes, I did try "WebGrab+PlusV1.1.0MSI" (this is the application that is linked to the forum you send me). I spent a few hours trying to get it to work this morning, actually. The YourTV wesite does have all of the channels that I need for Brisbane. However, I couln't get it to 'grab' Australian channels. The webgrab config file was saying that, under the Australian section within the config file, I had to insert parameters for the "yourtv.com.au.ini" file to access the YourTV wesite through a cookie file. In particular, the support documentation instructed me to import the cookie from the YourtTV website once I had selected my region. It then instructed me to tell the "yourtv.com.au.ini" file to find my imported "yourtv.com.au.cookie.text" file (this is what I named the file). I followed everything to the tee but I couldn't get it to work. I think this may be because I don't have the knowledge to contextualise much of what I'm doing. One thing that I do know is, even after doing a clean install of any mediaportal version and following the wiki step-by-step, I can't get WebTV to create an accurate tvguide.xml. So, I'm stuck with trying to find one that is accurate and functioning.

I'm assuming that if I could just get an accurate and functioning tvguide.xml file, things may work. However, there could be other problems that I'm not seeing.

If it helps, I can reinstall Mediaportal and follow your instrucitons and then send you a cleaner log.zip file. Please let me know what I can do to help you help me ;)

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi Kevin, no problem, I'm glad if I can provide you some help. And don't hesitate to ask for help. This is a great forum and the members are really ok!
First of all, please excuse my english... I have problems to really explain what I mean because of the missing vocabulary, but I try my best. ;)

I think it will not be necessary to install/uninstall anything, because your system seems to work and you did everything well. So lets try to fix your issue.
I'm just in progress to test the webgrab++ on your australian side. So I hope than I can provide you with some .ini files to try.
I have seen what you mean with the cookie file. First I made a test run without a cookie.txt file, and this seems to work. Now I'm just in progress to run with a cookie.txt file. Thats because I don't know if it is really necessary.
Did your channels change in the different regions? So is it necessary to provide a region information on the website?

So, will be back soon after my test runs.

Kevin Connell

Portal Member
July 27, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
That sounds great! Thank you.

Yes, I believe that there will be some differences between regions. The YourTV.com.au website that WebGrab++ grabs from doesn't require any login details to access my region (Brisbane). Here is the LINK to my region. However, this is only my interpretation. It could be that you don't need it and will still get the same results.

Yes, I think that a working ini file would be advantageous. This is great :)

Thank you!

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
So, after my first run I will provide you with my tvguide.xml. Please try to map the channels and see what happens.
I put also my yourtv.com.au.ini and yourtv.com.au.cookie.txt here, so that you can make your own tests. Maybe you have to change the directory of the output file, we will see.
I noticed that not all channels work correctly but this is a problem we could also solve. Can you provide me a listing of the channels you need, so I can adapt my ini file?

Attachments

• yourtv.com.au.rar
    56.1 KB

Kevin Connell

Portal Member
July 27, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
This is great. Thank you.

Okay, it looks like I can use these files to make the changes that I need. So far, everything (minus a few channels) is working perfectly :)

I will make some changes and see how they go. If this fails, I'll ask for you help again if that is okay.

I have one question for you. Now that the programs are accurate, will XMLTV automatically keep importing the new programs as they become available? I can't find, for example, a setting in MediaPortal that forces a new import when I open MediaPortal, or when the tvserver restarts.

I notice that, in the settings tab within the MediaPortal TVserver configuration, it states that "The server will check every minute if there is a new tvguide.xml/tvguide.lst. When it detects a new file, it will be imported to the EPG..." I was not sure if this means that I will need to keep manually renewing the tvguide.xml file. That would seem very unusual.

I can't thank you enough.

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi again. Yes you are absolute correct. Each time when you copy a new tvguide.xml into the directory, tvserver will recognize that and start the import process. So the only thing you have to do is, let webgrab++ run and put the new generated file in the xmltv directory, thats all. Please don't let webgrab++ generate the file directly into the xmltv directory, thats because he needs some time to generate, and the server could already try to import them. So you will get an collision.
You can create a batch file wich will start webgrab++ and then when it is finished, copy the tvguide.xml to the correct place. So the only plugins you need is the xmltv plugin (which imports the tvguide.xml) and the webgrab++ plugin. Thats all. The webepg is not needed and should be deactivated.

I just tried to get some info about p.ex. TV1. First it did not work, but after I change the preferences of the webguide from yourtv, it appeared in the tvguide.xml. So i think you have to create "your" tvguide on the webpage to be sure that all your needed channels are there. Then export the cookie and copy it to webgrab.

Don't hesitate to ask.... maybe we could also use some kind of chat programm.... this simplifies it... it is not so time consuming....

Last edited:

Kevin Connell

Portal Member
July 27, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Yes, if I run into some more problems a chat set up would be great. I'm glad that I asked you about the importing of the tvguide.xml file. I'll have to set up a process like you have described. This would be much better than having to insert the file manually every time. That is a good point about the collision. I probably wouldn't have thought of that. You are incredibly helpful.

Thanks again. Hopefully I will be okay from here on. We'll see ;)

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
October 22, 2009
Eupen
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Good to hear that it works now! I provide you here with my batch that I use. It is only to provide you with the parameter /wait that you should use. So the batchfile waits until the webgrab has finished.
First I tried the "find batches" provided with webgrab, but they did not work for me, so I put the real path into the batch.

Let me know if there is something else I can do.... Greetings from Belgium

Attachments

• start-webgrab.rar
    246 bytes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom