Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Xvid sound not working in MP

What about disabling MP3 in ffdshow audio codec settings?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Xvid sound not working in MP

If you disable MP3 in ffdshow is the ffdshow audio decoder still in use? It shouldnt...

GaryF

Portal Member
    October 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Re: AW: Xvid sound not working in MP

If you disable MP3 in ffdshow is the ffdshow audio decoder still in use? It shouldnt...

It's not, but neither is AC3 Filter. I can post a graph of it.

EDIT: Here's the graph when playing xvid (with MP3) having ffdshow mp3 decoding disabled:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Did filmerit find any errors, strange that DMO filters are not being used.

What I would do is remove both ffdshow + AC3, remove any saved setting by reverting to default before doing this, then check with filmerit, then run ccleaner on the registry.

Without installing any codecs do mp3's play in MP, if so install ffdshow and check again, if ok, then install AC3 and check yet again.

GaryF

Portal Member
    October 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

What I would do is remove both ffdshow + AC3, remove any saved setting by reverting to default before doing this, then check with filmerit, then run ccleaner on the registry.

Without installing any codecs do mp3's play in MP, if so install ffdshow and check again, if ok, then install AC3 and check yet again.

Filmerit found one error regarding ffdshow and fixed that. I ran the check after the uninstall of AC3 Filter and ffdshow, but before reinstall. I will try what you're suggesting once I get home today.

GaryF

Portal Member
    October 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

So I'm at the point where I've uninstalled AC3 and ffdshow (did not find a way to revert settings before). I then fixed the errors in filmerit that came up after uninstall (saying the codecs are not found. I had no errors prior to uninstall). I also ran CCleaner.

Then I tested the sound in MP without any codecs and I have no sound in menus or when playing music, like before. MP3 does play in Windows Media Player (or TV).

From this I draw the conclusion that something is wrong with my MP install or settings, but I can't find what...

EDIT: Added a log from trying to play mp3 in MP without AC3 or ffdshow.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you had not stated that mkv's work I would say, you have accidently muted MP in volume mixer, can you just check to be sure.

Start MP, then use alt-enter to get to windowed mode and play music, then mouse over to volume icon in systray, click on this and then go up to mixer, you will see Mediaportal listed, does it show anything different to master volume, ie muted.

Logs show no problems.

GaryF

Portal Member
    October 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If you had not stated that mkv's work I would say, you have accidently muted MP in volume mixer, can you just check to be sure.

Start MP, then use alt-enter to get to windowed mode and play music, then mouse over to volume icon in systray, click on this and then go up to mixer, you will see Mediaportal listed, does it show anything different to master volume, ie muted.

Logs show no problems.

OMG! That was it! This is something I never would have guessed due to mkv:s playing sound. But it tends to ignore stuff like that when running through S/PDIF.

I feel bad as it was such a trivial problem though. Thank you so much for your patience and help. You've saved me from more sleepless nights :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom