Xvid Video's freeze when resuming. (1 Viewer)

Fantoman

Portal Member
October 6, 2006
Gosford
Home Country
I am experiencing a bit of a problem with some videos at the moment... It appears to be a random issue that affects Xvid videos.

Sometimes when I open an Xvid video that I have previously started watching, and I select that I do wish to resume the video, the audio plays, however the video freezes at the start of the resume point. Then if I try to stop the video, MediaPortal freezes with CPU Utilization of 100% and I either have to use Task Manager to force quit or restart the PC if Task Manager will not start.

This has happened with multiple versions, including 0.2.2.0 as well as 0.2.3.0 RC1 with numerous SVN's up to todays (15280).

I have tried disabling FFDshow and uninstalling FFDshow, and the problem still occurs with the Xvid codec, and i've also tried disabling and uninstalling Xvid and only using FFDshow and it still occurs.

I have attached the MediaPortal.log and VMR9.log files from an instance of when this happened. It is strange as it appears to be random as the same video may resume fine the next time it is played.

Hope someone can help! :D

LiquidSky

Portal Member
December 22, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
This has been bothering me too... Not especially with the resume, it seems more like stopping a video is the problem. Sometimes when I stop an episode during the end credits and move on to the next episode I get a black screen with audio playing or even just a black screen.

I don't use ffdshow (just Xvid, Divx3, vobsub and haali splitter), so that isn't the problem.

Some Xvid files also manage to bluescreen my htpc (very rare, happens at a specific file position) although they play fine in other players

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Some Xvid files also manage to bluescreen my htpc

If that happens i would say you have some serious XP issues, no codecs should cause that kind of problem, may be either video or sound drivers corrupted.

funkychicken

Portal Member
    November 10, 2006
    Wish I had seen this thread.

I too was experiencing this problem. i.e. resume and xvid/divx caused MP to hang.

I needed to rebuild my PC anyway so I restored a ghost baseline image, reinstalled all of the updates. The only thing I did differently was to NOT install WMP 11. The codec versions etc were all the same and now I do not have the problem.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    When i pause movies and resume the movie freezes , although sound is fine.

IF i press escape the the movie in the small box at the bottom is running fine , then i go down and enter on it , and then all is fine again.

currently if i pause i have to escape and enter on little movie box to resume play

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here. Sound keeps running and the image freezes. The only way to het out of it is a hard reset on my HTPC.

This has been so since a long time. Maybe 4 to 5 months.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the same problem also, and I know what I'm doing with directshow! There is nothing obvious in the MP logs. I've been busy with work, so I haven't been able to look into it.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Had this too some weeks ago and for me it was definitely codecs-related. Checked it with graphedit and it was really messed up (ffdshow mixed with purevideo and something else i cannot remember). Try to spot if the right codec is used.

tangmonster

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2007
    cape town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    I currently have only klite codecpack 2.88 installed , and everything has worked fine , until now , so i am going to uninstall it , and do a fresh ffdshow install to see what happens.

Ons other thing i did with the svn install is that i updated to WMP 11 also

So it seems that i have to agree with funkychicken's find that that might also be the problem.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Could be that WMP11 changes merits of codecs and so problems result. Only guessing here. Maybe lower the merits of codecs you dont want to use with Radlight Filter Manger? But keep in mind that this can mess up your system massively. So make a backup before playing around with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom