Youtube not working when username and password are filled in (1 Viewer)

Drimincus

Portal Member
March 8, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I've tried 2 accounts, whenever I fill out username and password I get "error getting (dynamic) category videos".
If I remove the account it works just fine, but I can't get my subscriptions (obviously.)
I've asked on IRC and Diebagger reproduced this. He was so kind to place the exception on pastebin.

I did try to reinstall onlinevideos, to no effect.
It might have started after google gave youtube an update, but I can't be sure.

FTR: I use Mp 1.2.3 on win xp pro sp3.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have the same thing happening, thought it was me doing something wrong.

Drimincus

Portal Member
    March 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorry to bump this thread. Do I need to post any additional information? Am I missing something?

I would really like to see this bug fixed.

Last edited:

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It works fine with my youtube account.
    Maybe you have entered an invalid account name.
    Your credentials (login/password) are the ones you use to login to youtube. You have to set an Account Name-you can get your when logged into youtube by checking your "channel" it should have your account name on top - note: this is not your login!

Drimincus

Portal Member
    March 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think I see the problem: I never created an actual channel, since I never upload any video's, so I had no account name.
    After making a channel and setting an account name for that, youtube is working again. Thanks for your help!

[edit]
    I still, however, can't get to my subscriptions.
    I'm really sure I used the right login and password (*myname*@gmail.com) because I put it in notepad, copy pasted in youtube in the browser, allowing me to log in, and copy pasting the same into onlinevideos settings.

I can view all channels and I can access my watch history, but not subscriptions, which shows: "exception message unavailable."

Last edited:

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hm can you attach Onlinevideos.log and if there is one error.log after trying to access youtube subscriptions in MP?
    I can view mine just fine.
    I do remember something about making them public, but can't find any setting about that in my youtube account.

Drimincus

Portal Member
    March 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sure, attached. The errors are partly dutch (silly dutch windows version).

I've looked around in youtube settings; the only thing resembling what I might want is "application specific passwords" but I don't have two step authentication. (which is a requirement for application specific passwords.) Could that be it?

[edit]going to bed now, will check again tomorrow evening, thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• error.bak
      3.4 KB
    Last edited:

Drimincus

Portal Member
    March 8, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Should anyone be interested in this: yesterday I finally took the time to try and fix it. What I've found is that you need to enable your channel on youtube for this to work (should you not have one) and use the channel name as 'account name.'

Here's where my problem was: Google, by default, uses your name from google+ as the channel name, and this will include a space bar (first name [space] last name). If you use that in the account name field, the subscriptions will not work (watch history will work, however.)

What I did was make a new youtube account and created a channel for that account (note that I have not found a way to remove or rename a channel that was already created) using, in my case, the same username, not containing a whitespace. I used these credentials in onlinevideos and now everything works as expected.

For my other (non-working) account I noticed that, though it uses the google+ name as the account name, going to youtube.com/user/firstname lastname does not work (nor does youtube.com/user/firstname%20lastname), and going to my channel gives youtube.com/channel/randomgeneratedstringhere. Maybe it will work if I fill in the random generated string, but I have not tested this.

Thanks for the help, I'm glad it's working now.

Last edited:

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Also note that the youtube plugin fails to work when 2 factor authentication is enabled for google accounts and valid credentials are filled in into the plugin.
    I figured out yesterday and explained how to fix it in this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom