Zotac AD10 - in case anyone is interested (1 Viewer)

nyhardcore

Portal Member
May 2, 2011
Yup.

I bought an external fan, then had to cut the wires on the existing fan (as the connector is non standard). Then connect the wires to the new fan.
I then drilled a hole in the side of the case and bolted the fan on.

Not 100% silent, but the fan is so quiet that it may as well be.

I wouldnt recomend the mod - was a right pain! If you want more detailed info, let me know!

Thank you for your time..

did you remove the old fan? or did you only cut the wires and bolted the new fan to the outside plate and placed it above the old one?
What fan did you use? Do you have a link to a webshop?

Is it possible to get a more detailed picture of the placement and 'cut out' ?
My windbox is at MSI at the moment for RMA because of the noise, but my hopes are not high regarding MSI fixing the problem.
I'm considering making the same modification you did once i get my windbox back from MSI.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    I removed the old fan.

I then chopped the wires (as I cannot find an adapter, or what the current fan connector MSI use is - its not a standard connector)

I used a 'Arctic Cooling Arctic F9 Pro TC' fan. This has its own thermometer to control the fan speed. Its only 3 wires, the original fan has 4, so you just dont connect the wire that send the signal back to the machine - this means on bootup the machine will complain as it thinks the fan is broken.

The other option is to buy a PWM fan (Arctic Cooling make many) - as these will have all 4 fan cables, and the computer can then regulate fan speed.

As for placement - I just started drilling lots of holes, it took a long time to drill through the metal, and kept drilling until the hole was about fan sized.

I then drilled holes for the fan's screws

I passed the fan cables out through one of the unused holes at the back of the machine. Do this before attaching the fan to the original fan cables that you snilled earlier - or they wont fit through the holes.

To be honest - I'd suggest that if possible you get a refund then look at a different machine. Not sure why i didnt!

nyhardcore

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    I removed the old fan.

I then chopped the wires (as I cannot find an adapter, or what the current fan connector MSI use is - its not a standard connector)

I used a 'Arctic Cooling Arctic F9 Pro TC' fan. This has its own thermometer to control the fan speed. Its only 3 wires, the original fan has 4, so you just dont connect the wire that send the signal back to the machine - this means on bootup the machine will complain as it thinks the fan is broken.

The other option is to buy a PWM fan (Arctic Cooling make many) - as these will have all 4 fan cables, and the computer can then regulate fan speed.

As for placement - I just started drilling lots of holes, it took a long time to drill through the metal, and kept drilling until the hole was about fan sized.

I then drilled holes for the fan's screws

I passed the fan cables out through one of the unused holes at the back of the machine. Do this before attaching the fan to the original fan cables that you snilled earlier - or they wont fit through the holes.

To be honest - I'd suggest that if possible you get a refund then look at a different machine. Not sure why i didnt!

Thank you very much for you information, very helpfull.
    one last thing; Can you give an indication about the CPU temperature using your solution?
    My windbox dc100 reached near 90C when under load (exp. when compiling something from source in linux).
    and avg. 60C while idling running OpenElec

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    90C - thats hot! near the limit for the CPU. I only hit that when I took the fan off to see what happened with no fan at all.

Mine is around 45-55C if I recall correctly

nyhardcore

Portal Member
    May 2, 2011
    90C - thats hot! near the limit for the CPU. I only hit that when I took the fan off to see what happened with no fan at all.

Mine is around 45-55C if I recall correctly
    Thank you very much for your detailed explaination.

I got my windbox back from RMA, but the problem persists..
    I'm trying to get my windbox replaced by a zotac zbox ad04, but if this fails will try your solution,
    but can you confirm the temperature that your windbox reaches while under load?

Interactive

March 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I use a PWM fan (Arctic Cooling)

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/case-fans/73/arctic-f-pwm.html?c=2183

How do i connect the wires (the colors are not the same) red-black -green- yelow for the Arctic and Yelow - black - green- Blue for the Windbox..

Please help me out...
    24-03-12%2B-%2B2

guiguirouen

April 26, 2012
    Home Country
    France France
    Code:
        Hi
        1 yes. I only use the hdmi.
        2 yes it does. It has an internal ir on the front too but I have that turned off as you have to be directly in front of it for it to work.
        I have got USB ir working for power off and on for both the supplied remote and another one that I bought. You have to choose the usb2 port you want to use it with and disable the power out from that port in the bios for wake from s3 to work.
        Ben

foxbenw, Jan 16, 2012 Report
    Share #48

Hi,

I also have a Zbox AD10, and i installed openelec on it.

unfortunately i can't make it work the way it seems you have:

I installed the box behing my tv => i cant use the internal IR, just the USB dongle.
    And despite a lot of tries in the bios, I can't power on the zbox with my remote... I always have to reach behinf the tv and powen on manualy.

So is it possible to power on the zbox with the usb IR ?
    If yes, can someone please detail de bios configuration that i have to set?

Thank you very very much,

Guillaume

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I believe only certain USB ports support the wake request. Have you tried the other USB ports?

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom