Zotac Zbox HD-ID11 (1 Viewer)

ptr727

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I did some 1080p MKV H264 playback performance testing.
While some codecs use more CPU power than others, any player that supports DXVA works just fine.
I tested MediaPortal with the Microsoft and ffdshow DXVA codecs, no problems.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for ur work ptr727, much appreciated!!

Well I have not succeded yet with mp :( Works perfect under wmp.
    Tried number of decoders (not ffdshow though). Litle confused right now regardin codec setting within mp when playing videos like the ones on http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx

Could u guys give mee some advice here? Specially to get it running with Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder!

regards,
    /tompa

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    just set up my zotac zbox yesterday with a SSD and windows 7. works perfectly fine...
    first i was worried about the fan noise as it resembled the fan noise f my xbox 360. it was really annoying. then i just visited zotac's support site and found an BIOS update which solved the problem for me: fan noise has been almost eliminated. everything is perfect now.

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i just tried the smallest wmv file and it worked flawlessly. however, i could only run it with vlc. i already had the saf400 codec pack installed though, but wmp couldn't run it. i didnt try running it from mediaportal though. i have to admit that i recently switched to xbmc :oops:

i don't know really which driver i am using but it's the default driver provided by zotac on their driver disc for my zbox.

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    according to zotac's information hdmi ist capable of Dolby Digital True HD. DTS i don't know. Unfortunately, i am not able to test it yet as i am still missing a good AV-R. but i plan to get a denon 3311 by the end of the year and would be able to report on this matter ;)

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Zotac Zbox HD-ID11

hmm maybe i didn't read it clearly -

does that tiny little box play 1080i ?

1080p is also on an "old" ION no problem ...
    but the 1080i would be important for me (sky HD transmit in 1080i)
    and the old ION just breaks always in ...

Kian

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i do not know about 1080i as i do not have this content. maybe me decoding it into 1080p would work? or do you speak of streaming sky directly through the ZBOX? please note that the zbos does not have any slot for a tv tuner card. so the only way would be to connect a tv tuner card externally via USB.

also, the zbox presented here (id-11) has a ION2 as compared to the predecessor zotac. the better CPU does not help much as processing HD content is done via ION's GPU (hardware acceleration). And i doubt that the ION2 is much better than the ION1

Wrangler

April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    This little box sounds almost too good :)
    Still got a few questions before I hit the order button.

First opening my scenario a bit. I would be using this in bedroom, so I need to be sure, it won't prevent my wife sleeping while I'm having fun ;)
    Planning to attach it behind the bedroom telly with the VESA-mount. Usually watching movies/tv together, but sometimes I just use my headphones while the "better-half" is sleeping or at least trying to :p

Planning to set up something like this:
    Zotac Zbox HD-ID11
    2Gb ram
    small SDD or 80Gb 5400rpm drive that happens to be lying around
    Win7 + MediaPortal tv-client (got a dedicated tv-server+media storage already)
    XBOX360 remote (backlit+possibility to control TV)
    Telly is Samsung 2333HD

1) WAF in this box is pretty high, but will the fan sound+other possible noise be hearable from behind the telly and some 3 metres away? Or atleast will the sound annoy one in an otherwise silent room?
    2) Will it still be silent enough after a second half of a 2 hour 1080p movie watching? Does that kind of cpu+gpu load make it warmer and the fan go faster?
    3) Any ideas for a good receiver to Xbox360 remote? (yep, offtopic)
    4) Any other bedroom experiences would be greatly appreciated. Concerning the zotec of course... sheezz, what were you thinkin' ;)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom