MP 1.8, MyFilms 6.1, aMPed 3.6.2: movies preview thumbs not always shown (1 Viewer)

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
December 31, 2011
In the Description view of each movie, preview thumbs are not shown for some movies. It doesn't seem to be related with the movie format or size, nor with the skin I'm using (I'm using aMPed now, but I had the same problem with Default Wide).
In the log I could find this entry about several movies:

"Error executing C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MovieThumbnailer\mtn.exe:

Then an explanation follows, which I translate from the OS language (italian):

"It is possible to determine the required informations only upon process completion" (or something like that).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi tano_grasa, to my expreience, it IS dependant on the movie format - the MTN thumbnailer uses relatively old libraries and lacks support for some of the newer high resolution codec formats.
    Sidenote: As MP isn't using MTN.exe anylonger, I probably should move the logging / output into MyFilms log ...
    You can test this manually on the command line by executing the command against your movie/media file; the command line used should be in MyFilms log.
    More details about optionsfor mtn.exe you find here.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    I just checked code, the logging for MF thumbnailing should already go into MyFilms log - please post full debug log files - this also tells what versions you're running (MP, MyFilms) - as there were changes over time ...

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi Guzzi, thanks for the quick reply. Please find all log files attached. Anyway, the thing with the movie formats puzzles me: for some AVC movies I do get thumbnails, for others I don't...

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Hi Guzzi, thanks for the quick reply. Please find all log files attached. Anyway, the thing with the movie formats puzzles me: for some AVC movies I do get thumbnails, for others I don't...
    Hi, thanks for the logs. You find the thumb creation details - including the used params - in MyFilmsGrabber.log. Could you try to create thumbs manually with one of the movies where you think you should get a thumbnail and tell, if this works? You can use the params as you find them in the log - e.g.:
    Code:
    mtn.exe  -D 8 -B 0 -E 0 -c 4 -r 4 -b 0,60 -t -i -I -w 0 -n -O "C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MyFilms\MovieThumbs\{calvary}\" -P "H:\Irlanda\Calvary\Calvary [John Michael McDonagh, 2014].mkv"
    That might help to find the reason why thub creation is failing for some movies.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi Guzzi, I'm not quite sure what do you mean with creating thums manually. Sorry, I'm not a computer expert. Do you mean from the command line?
    Anyway, I've seen in the log "MyFilmsGrabber.old" that at movies without thumbnail it reads "image too big". Unfortunately I cannot attach this log because it has been overwritten by my latest actions. The actual MyFilmsGrabber.old says nothing about it, but I still have no thumbs for those movies :(

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Yes, I was talking about using that at the command line. Problem is, that I do not have your media files here for reproduction. What we could do is that we add some more logging and hope that tells us a bit more...

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    I used a different approach. In the movie thumbs folder there are presently 34 movie subfolders. All of them have thums inside. In 16 of them, the last thumb shows as 0 Kb and its name's format is as follows: [movie name]_s.jpg. These are the movies for which no thumbnails are shown in MP. I give up.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What happens if you delete the 0 kb [movie name]_s.jpg images? Does MTN recreate them again?
    @Guzzi IIRC MP has/had an option to blacklist movie thumbs when MTN failed. Does that work with MyFilms too?

Like Guzzi I can't reproduce the issue :( I have 320 movie thumbs subfolders and about 3500 images and no problem with any of them. I'm not trying to torture you LOL, just hard to solve when we can't reproduce :(

Can you see anything similar about the movies/media files where it fails, e.g. are the all the same video format/ or similar video resolutions?

Last edited:

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Nothing happens when I delete the 0 kb images, that was my first try :) And there is no recognizable pattern in terms of video format or resolution. I could tell you where to get one of those files, in order for you to be able to reproduce the issue. Or we can drop the whole issue. I guess there are too many variables at stake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom