MP 1.8, MyFilms 6.1, aMPed 3.6.2: movies preview thumbs not always shown (1 Viewer)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    what does MP use now to generate video thumbs?
    MP had the same problem with MTN, as far as I know we now use ffmpeg.exe for thumbnail generation which didn't fail once on my recordings thumbs.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    what does MP use now to generate video thumbs?
    MP had the same problem with MTN, as far as I know we now use ffmpeg.exe for thumbnail generation which didn't fail once on my recordings thumbs.
    True, MP switched to ffmpeg. MP was using 2008 version of MTN, MF was using a little younger libraries (MTN is also using ffmpeg libraries, but adds some features). I just checked and there is an MTN version available using ffmpeg libraries from 2014, May - so this should support all latest codecs as well - at the cost of speed and size (codec lib was 3 MB with 2008 version, now is 19 MB).
    All we need is ppl willing to test against a set of media files - if everybody is happy, I am willing to update the library.
    Guzzi

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    ... which didn't fail once on my recordings thumbs.
    That is an "easy task", as the "only thing" it needs to do is supporpt the new HD TV codecs. Beside TV, there is many many other formats and combinations, which makes it so difficult for such libraries to handle them all.

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Beside TV, there is many many other formats and combinations, which makes it so difficult for such libraries to handle them all.

I tthink MP uses ffmpeg also for videos/pictures thumbs. :)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Beside TV, there is many many other formats and combinations, which makes it so difficult for such libraries to handle them all.

I tthink MP uses ffmpeg also for videos/pictures thumbs. :)
    Yes, I know - was just referring to the tv files. However, mtn offers some extended capabilities which did not allow MF to switch easily.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Updated mtn to 2014-05 and ffmpeg libs to 2014-07 - and inclreased the timeout (which probably was the bigger issue, as I didn't find movies that did not work with the older libs). As said above, whoever wants to do extensive testing can do.
    Testing is really easy:
    Check the MyFilmsGrabber.log - there is the command line options, that are used to call mtn.exe - those can simply be copied and used at the command line (mtn.exe <command line options>). Check the output directory about the thumbs being created - and/or change the command line to use other source media files. Interesting results are: Did it work/not work, how long did it take to create the thumbs.
    Example:
    mtn.exe -D 6 -B 5 -E 5 -c 4 -r 4 -b 0,60 -t -i -I -w 0 -n -O "C:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Thumbs/MyFilms/MovieThumbs/{test.movie}" -P "//server/movies/test movie/test.movie.mkv"
    To compare different versions, put each mtn and corresponding ffmpeg libs into ane directory and execute the command line in the respective directory.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Thank you very much Guzzi. Tested within MF. It works in some cases. In other cases it does not. I can't find a recognizable pattern. For example, some AVCHD movies get thumbnails, others don't. Same with MPEG2 movies, though in this case very few movies don't get thumbs.
    By the way, does MyFilms-V6.1.1.3131 include the solution to issue https://code.google.com/p/my-films/issues/detail?id=409 too?
    (Sorry, yes, I see that fanarts cycling has been extended now. Thank you).

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Thank you very much Guzzi. Tested within MF. It works in some cases. In other cases it does not. I can't find a recognizable pattern. For example, some AVCHD movies get thumbnails, others don't. Same with MPEG2 movies, though in this case very few movies don't get thumbs.
    .. check the logs about what they tell and try the command line, if it works with those mediafiles there - that is the only thing that can be done to verify. You could also crosscheck with ffmpeg.exe - but it should make no difference, as the ffmpeg libs are also updated - but it might of course be possible, that there is a bug in mtn.exe - if that can be revealed and is reproducable, it could be reported to the respective forum.

tano_grasa

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2011
    Hi, this is the latest grabber log:
    2014-07-27 09:50:54,198 Debug [ 42 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: Settings loaded - using 4 columns and 4 rows.
    2014-07-27 09:50:54,198 Debug [ 42 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: No thumb in share C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MyFilms\MovieThumbs\{calvary}\{calvary} [single].jpg - trying to create one with arguments: -D 6 -B 5 -E 5 -c 4 -r 4 -b 0,60 -t -i -I -w 0 -n -O "C:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Thumbs/MyFilms/MovieThumbs/{calvary}" -P "H:/Irlanda/Calvary/Calvary [John Michael McDonagh, 2014].mkv"
    2014-07-27 09:51:04,688 Debug [ 42 | ThumbCreator ]: First try successful !
    2014-07-27 09:51:05,038 Debug [ 8 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: Settings loaded - using 4 columns and 4 rows.
    2014-07-27 09:51:05,038 Debug [ 8 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: No thumb in share C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MyFilms\MovieThumbs\{calvary}\{calvary} [single].jpg - trying to create one with arguments: -D 6 -B 5 -E 5 -c 4 -r 4 -b 0,60 -t -i -I -w 0 -n -O "C:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Thumbs/MyFilms/MovieThumbs/{calvary}" -P "H:/Irlanda/Calvary/Calvary [John Michael McDonagh, 2014].mkv"
    2014-07-27 09:51:14,569 Debug [ 8 | ThumbCreator ]: First try successful !
    2014-07-27 09:51:36,511 Debug [ 57 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: Settings loaded - using 4 columns and 4 rows.
    2014-07-27 09:51:36,521 Debug [ 57 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: No thumb in share C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MyFilms\MovieThumbs\{dallas.buyers.club}\{dallas.buyers.club} [single].jpg - trying to create one with arguments: -D 6 -B 5 -E 5 -c 4 -r 4 -b 0,60 -t -i -I -w 0 -n -O "C:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal/Thumbs/MyFilms/MovieThumbs/{dallas.buyers.club}" -P "H:/Estados Unidos/Dallas Buyers Club/Dallas Buyers Club [Jean-Marc Vallée, 2013].mkv"
    2014-07-27 09:51:36,871 Debug [ 57 | ThumbCreator ]: First try successful !
    2014-07-27 09:51:37,121 Debug [ 57 | ThumbCreator ]: VideoThumbCreator: mtn.exe did not extract a thumbnail to: C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Thumbs\MyFilms\MovieThumbs\{dallas.buyers.club}\Dallas Buyers Club [Jean-Marc Vallée, 2013]_s.jpg

Please note the bold lines. For this movie I do not get thumbnails. I also tried the command line, to no avail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom