1.16pre: Mini-EPG displays start-time in front of programs (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Explanations how to customize please.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    are you serious? You want me to recompile to remove something that should have been optional? I don't consider this an improvement.

Regarding the next, there are numerous references in the German section who were all very grateful when I explained what to change in the language strings to get rid of it. I removed it years ago already for my clients.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For the "now"/"next" text (which is what I was referring to), change the relevant strings translation file.
    Sorry, but I can´t agree with that ;)
    What translation goes into the German language file is only relevant for German users and done by German speaking people knowing what the German habitus of speaking is the correct one, and if they don´t want the Now/Next, the string is and will stay empty. I really hope you won´t order what should be the proper translations in the German language file?!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    are you serious? You want me to recompile to remove something that should have been optional? I don't consider this an improvement.
    What do you want me to say?
    Fine, so you don't consider it an improvement. Not everything is going to be to your liking. That's life. I can only repeat what I said in my earlier reply: either customise your installation (which in this case will require recompiling - again, that's life), or propose a change.

If you're going to propose a change, please be constructive. By "constructive" I mean: please don't just say that you think the change should be optional and stop there. This doesn't really help anybody, and some people will even consider it to be moaning/complaining (=> ignore). Go further. Start a thread and/or polls to find out what other people actually think. Propose how the change could be made optional. If via a setting:
    • What should the setting be called?
    • Where should the setting be?
    • What should the default value be?
    etc.
    Make your case.

Regarding the next, there are numerous references in the German section who were all very grateful when I explained what to change in the language strings to get rid of it. I removed it years ago already for my clients.
    I'm happy to take your word that there were indeed numerous references. However "numerous references" is not the same as "99,9%" that catavolt mentioned. Also, who's to say that those references were actually representative of the majority?

I don't have any strong personal feelings about whether the "now"/"next" text should or should not be displayed in the mini-guide. I'm simply arguing that the translation files should contain accurate translations. That's it.

Why?
    It's easy to understand if you consider an example.

An English-speaking developer who is unaware of this "exception" in the translation files develops some new window.
    This developer decides they need to have "now" or "next" in the window.
    Obviously it makes sense to reuse existing strings where possible, so they check the English string files.
    They find the existing strings and think it's fine to use them.
    When German users come to use the new window:
    • the layout may be messed up
    • the window usage/meaning may be incomprehensible
    • etc.
    This is why I'm so opposed to what has been done.

Can you not understand where I'm coming from?
    Again, I'm not opposed to the removal of the "now"/"next" text from the dialog. I just don't like how it has been done.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, burt I can´t agree with that ;)
    Please read the example in my previous reply. If you still don't understand what I'm saying then probably nothing I can say will help you to understand.

What translation goes into the German language file is only relevant for German users and done by German speaking people knowing what the German habitus of speaking is the correct one and if they don´t want the Now/Next, the string is and will stay empty.
    Did you modify the language file because having "Jetzt:" and "Anschließend:" is syntactically or grammatically incorrect, or did you modify it because you think the text is an unnecessary waste of space and you simply don't like having it?

I really hope you won´t order what should be the proper translations in the German language file?!
    I can't order anything, but if the correct German translations for the English terms "Now:" and "Next:" are "Jetzt:" and "Anschließend:" then that's what I'd expect to see in the German language file. The language files should be about correct language translation (words, grammar, syntax etc.), not about what you do or do not like to see.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I think @catavolt removed the now/next because the TVE was/is in code freeze state and he couldn't wait for a dev who brakes the freeze like me.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think @catavolt removed the now/next because the TVE was/is in code freeze state and he couldn't wait for a dev who brakes the freeze like me.
    Do you mean that you allowed/committed/supported the change because you thought this?
    ...or are you saying this is what catavolt thinks?
    Please note catavolt hasn't said anything about the code freeze in this thread, and didn't seem to mention it in the original thread either.
    What he said in this thread is that the reason for the change is that it is correct German. I can't understand how that is possible.

@catavolt
    Please answer:
    Did you modify the language file because having "Jetzt:" and "Anschließend:" is syntactically or grammatically incorrect, or did you modify it because you think the text is an unnecessary waste of space and you simply don't like having it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom