1.16pre: Mini-EPG displays start-time in front of programs (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @daWooky
    I'd suggest that because these would not be skin-specific settings, they should go somewhere in the TV/radio -> TV sub-section instead of the skin settings dialog. In fact there are already settings ("show channel state icons...", "show episode info" and "show channel numbers") on the general tab that affect what is shown in the mini-guide. Any new setting(s) could perhaps be grouped (or even combined - since they'll all be "show..." or "hide...") with those existing settings.

@HTPCSourcer
    How often do you use the mini-guide and what do you primarily use it for?
    If you don't think the current program start time would be useful to you, what about the current program progress percentage?

(For me the current program start time - in addition to the progress percentage - helps me make decisions about whether I'll bother to watch a program.)

Can't this be left at the discretion of the skin designer?
    My understanding is this wouldn't be possible without significant skin engine and/or list control changes. In order for the displayed text to be at the discretion of the skin designer, each of the ~10 details would need their own list item property (...or if not one property per detail, at least the more than three properties that are currently available).

Do we really need a setting for such thing?
    From the responses in this thread it seems that there are a variety of preferences about what should be shown.
    The German translation file hack seems to show that the community aren't willing to settle for customising their own installations (a little disappointing for an open source community!) and team members aren't willing to resist them even if it requires unpleasant hacks.

When you combine these two factors, adding setting(s) is the only solution I can think of. Of course we could say "stop complaining and get used to it"... but somehow I don't think that would go down well. ;)

It seems the sole purpose of the Mini EPG is for the user to see what's showing now and next.
    Mmmm, I'd say primary instead of sole. In addition to now + next program info there are also the [unique] channel states and program progress (%). Personally I find those really useful.

Then again I'm hardly ever using Mini EPG.
    I suppose you don't watch a lot of live TV then?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer
    How often do you use the mini-guide and what do you primarily use it for?
    Constantly. We mostly use the mini guide for zapping rather than the full guide.

If you don't think the current program start time would be useful to you, what about the current program progress percentage?
    The first info that I want is what is playing now. Then only could I look at the percentage , which should be (and currently is) after the title. For sample Sky movies are followed by can 10-15 min of internal ads, hence a percentage of 82-84% indicates that it is alraedy over.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Constantly. We mostly use the mini guide for zapping rather than the full guide.
    Me also. :)

For sample Sky movies are followed by can 10-15 min of internal ads, hence a percentage of 82-84% indicates that it is alraedy over.
    Interesting that you should mention this. I don't bother to watch a program if I think I've missed a crucial part at the start. The problem with using the existing percentages to make that decision is that X% is not the same for short and long programs. For example, 10 - 15% for a 30 minute program is just the first of three segments. I could probably still watch the last two segments. However, 10 - 15% of a movie is probably the most important part (here in NZ they put few ads at the start to hook you, then more and more ads towards the end), and it's pointless to watch the rest. That's why I think the start time of the current program will prove useful. Just my opinion... :)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I suppose you don't watch a lot of live TV then?
    Not that much no, mostly series and movies and often after recording them.
    Though I often watch live sports, mostly soccer and tennis.
    I simply use the full EPG, even when browsing through live TV.
    I guess what's holding me back from using Mini-EPG is the fact that I would need to learn and get used to another workflow and another interface for doing something that's already doable with the full EPG.

Though there is one thing I really liked in Mini-EPG, that's the ability to switch between groups using right and left buttons. I've actually incorporated that feature in the full EPG by adding group switch actions to blue and yellow buttons through our default HID remote mapping.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That was the reason why I added the start time to minitvguide. ;)
    Gentlemen, we seem to be turning in circles here.

I opened this thread because an announced change had taken place that is changing the user experience. mm expressed his dissatisfaction with the way this was handled, including some discussions about language-specific particularities.

And now you are telling me that the change was introduced because you wanted something different, citing somebody who shares your opinion but not considering people like myself and Stéphane Lenclud?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    mm expressed his dissatisfaction with the way this was handled, including some discussions about language-specific particularities.
    Just to be clear: I have no dissatisfaction with the way the start time change was added. The dissatisfaction I've expressed is entirely directed at the "now"/"next" hack (committed in ~2014?) which I was unaware of until catavolt's post on the first page.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And now you are telling me that the change was introduced because you wanted something different, citing somebody who shares your opinion but not considering people like myself and Stéphane Lenclud?
    First of all a Happy New Year to all of you and your beloved ones ;)
    regeszter asked me why I didn´t show the start times in the DWHD skin, so I answered that this is hardcoded in text3 of the relevant listcontrol, and he changed it to the state we have it now ;)
    You complained with "your" thread here, so we are in discussion what to do next to fulfill the preferences of you, Stephane and maybe other users - so no need to sharpen the tone here ;)
    [joking]BTW: At the moment it´s 3:2 (regeszter, mm, and me against Stephane and you) ;) :D :ROFLMAO:[/joking]

EDITED by regeszter, removed real names.

Last edited by a moderator:

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    reminds me a bit on that ^^
    escher_stairs.jpg

pls @regeszter any switch or sth.else to hide them will do - my audience annoys me steady because of this.
    and happy new year to y'all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom