1.16pre: Mini-EPG displays start-time in front of programs (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What he said in this thread is that the reason for the change is that it is correct German. I can't understand how that is possible.
    I don't think that this is what he said. He explained that language - and I did say this before too - should not be 1:1 translated but depends on the cultural context, which varies from country to country.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Whether I mentioned the code freeze or not is irrelevant because it´s well known since a long time ;)
    Please answer:
    Yes, Sir:
    the Now and Next in German (and tbh in all other languages, too) are superfluid, because the two lines in miniguide are self-explaining (first line = running program, second line = upcoming program), and this text is also a waste of space (especially in German where words are mostly longer than e.g. in English).
    And it´s not because I don´t like it, but a lot of users demand it in many posts in different German threads.
    First it was only the wording "Anschließend" which I changed in the shorter "Danach", then more and more users wanted this deleted completely.
    So finally we left the two responsible fields in German language file empty.
    Unfortunately this text is coupled to text3 of the miniguide listcontrol and can´t be removed with means of skinning.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, here's the thing guys (cutting a potentially long rant short ;) ): I understand why you wanted to achieve the effect (ie. remove the "now"/"next" text for the benefit of other Germans and perhaps yourselves), but I hate the way you've done it.

I agree with catavolt's comment that "the now and next are superfluous" in all languages. Therefore in my opinion it would have been more appropriate to either:
    • modify the code to remove the text for everybody, OR
    • add a setting to make it possible for people who really didn't want the text to not see it, OR
    • answer complaints by explaining how the text can be hacked out (by customising their personal translation file)
    In my opinion modifying the official German translation file would never be an appropriate solution because it's not a German-specific cultural quirk/context. I don't have to be German to know this.

I'm very frustrated because I care about the quality of the TV code. It's like "my baby", and so I never want to see it hacked like this. What's worse is that it seems like you didn't consider any of the possibilities above, and you [still!] consider this "solution" to be appropriate.

If I had my way I'd like to immediately revert the change and instead use one of the 3 alternative options given above.

catavolt

Design Group Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 13, 2007
    Königstein (Taunus)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    and instead use one of the 3 alternative options given above.
    GREAT! Now we are on the point (y)
    How can it be done that any user may have a setting to show either now/next, starttimes or nothing? That would be the only proper solution satisfiying everyone ;)
    Afaik in miniguide listcontrol there is no means (for a skinner) to devide the text3 from the coupled now/next or starttime (as it is now). And listcontrol only allows 3 texts (text1 - text3).
    Maybe you have an idea?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Maybe you have an idea?
    A TV plugin setting would seem the easiest. It's the TV plugin code that populates text1, text2 and text3. That code could simply be modified to include/exclude certain parts of the text depending on the setting value. HTPCSourcer mentioned he didn't like the times to be shown. That could be incorporated into the design. For example: each component of the text could be shown/hidden by checkbox settings.

daWooky

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi guys. as ya may know i do not like the new times but i am also of the opinion it would be better to enter the correct translations.
    at the beginning i found it absolutely senseless but after i use it for some time, i can imagine something useful with the new next time function.

22-00-41.jpg miniguide-options.jpg
    i suggest the optionportal^^ needs some additional miniguide options and happy feasting to you all.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I believe the options should be:
    1. Show starttimes instead of Now/Next text
    2. Show nothing
    AS this is originally my thread, I take the liberty to also express my opinion.;)
    The "next" time makes sense, the "now" time is not of interest to me. That's why the options as suggested by daWooky would address everybody's likes and dislikes.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can't this be left at the discretion of the skin designer? Do we really need a setting for such thing?

I agree the German fix is a bit hackish but I'm not the least surprised by it and don't think it's worth getting angry over it.
    I'd say it's a valid hack :) Though it feels like this should be the same for every languages indeed.

It seems the sole purpose of the Mini EPG is for the user to see what's showing now and next.
    I find this is well communicated through the character fonts, though the first time you open it you might not understand what you are looking at and it could take some effort to work it out. I'd say "Now" is not needed and ideally we should be able to show when is the next program starting by showing something like "in 32mn" but maybe as a suffix. Then again I'm hardly ever using Mini EPG.

@HTPCSourcer Definitely a case of TMI for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom