[News] 1.2.0 rc released! (1 Viewer)

blubserl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: 1.2.0 rc released!

1.2.0 beta was already a very smooth experience and a fantastic step forward from earlier releases regarding speed and stability. I'm sitting on nails here at work and can't wait to come home and try the rc out!

Big thanks to the whole Mediaportal Team - you're doing a fantastic job! :)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: 1.2.0 rc released!

1.2.0 beta was already a very smooth experience and a fantastic step forward from earlier releases regarding speed and stability. I'm sitting on nails here at work and can't wait to come home and try the rc out!

Big thanks to the whole Mediaportal Team - you're doing a fantastic job! :)

Same here....time to go home earlier :)

@blubserl: Dit you see the line about small donation? ;)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Is there any benefit from doing a clean install instead of just using the upgrade option?
    If your setup is running nicely, then you can go ahead with an update - but please check that all your extensions are available in 1.2.0 RC compatible versions before you start with the upgrade! :)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I've been running 1.2.0 beta with no issues, so I plan to update to 1.2.0 RC today. In fact while I've been out and about this summer, MediaPortal has been recording TV shows and doing it's thing for three weeks without me having to remotely log in :) . I've not had this level of stability since 1.0.2.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    upgrades:
    • MP 1.1.x or 1.2.0 ALPHA -> 1.2.0 (RC)
      • MediaPortal and TV-Server will be upgraded
      • Extensions (skins and plugins) are not compatible, you must updated those after the upgrade to 1.2.0 (RC)
    • MP 1.2.0 BETA -> 1.2.0 (RC)
      • MediaPortal and TV-Server will be upgraded
      • Extensions (skins and plugins) which were working with 1.2.0 BETA, will continue to work with 1.2.0 RC and 1.2.0 final.
        If your skin show a deformed volume bar, then you need to get an updated version of the skin. This is because we fixed the <width> property so that it finally works.

I think it's best if you make this clear in the article itself, i myself had to read the part about mpei and upgrades multiple times to understand it and i'm not a "regular" user :D

It's hard to make it easily understandable ;)
    Updated release news. :)

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    montecristo,
    next time try to read full announcement
    If you are running MediaPortal 1.2.0 Beta, then all your installed extensions (plugins and skins) will continue to work in 1.2.0 RC! You only need the new installer for upgrades/new releases of an extension.

I can see where there is some confusion regarding the plugins compatibility.

From the full announcement, there are two statements, and one of them must be wrong:

Due to this required change, unfortunately we could not avoid that MPEI files for 1.2.0 Beta will not work with 1.2.0 RC and vice versa. This means you must wait for extension authors to provide new installers for 1.2.0 RC.

If you are running MediaPortal 1.2.0 Beta, then all your installed extensions (plugins and skins) will continue to work in 1.2.0 RC! You only need the new installer for upgrades/new releases of an extension.

These two statements contradict themselves. Can the MP News announcement be update to make this clearer?:confused:

EDIT: Having re-read these statements for a 3rd time, I think you are saying that if you are already running beta and have installed the 1.2 beta compatible plugins then they will continue to work, but if you are doing a completely fresh install then it is the mpei files which won't run. Like I say, this could be clearer.

alpinestars

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 28, 2007
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: 1.2.0 rc released!

Perfect! Thanks a lot for all your efforts!
    Can't wait until evening, no bank holiday in Germany :mad:

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Due to this required change, unfortunately we could not avoid that MPEI files for 1.2.0 Beta will not work with 1.2.0 RC and vice versa. This means you must wait for extension authors to provide new installers for 1.2.0 RC.

These two statements contradict themselves. Can the MP News announcement be update to make this clearer?:confused:
    They do not contradict themselves. ;)

There are 2 different things goinig on.

1. *.MPE files
    Extensions use the *.mpe file format.
    And because we introduced the plugin version check into mpe file in 1.2.0 RC, you can no longer install an mpe file which was created with 1.2.0 Beta.

1.2.0 RC will tell you that the mpe file is not compatible, because the compatibility info is missing in that mpe file.

So the plugin author has to update to 1.2.0 RC, open his extension project, save the *.mpe file again, and upload this to the repository.

Now you can install the extension using the mpe file he provided.​

2. already installed extensions
    If you have a 1.2.0 beta install up and running, you can upgrade to 1.2.0 RC and all will continue to work.
    If you have an older version of MP, none of the plugins nor skins will continue to work. You must get compatible versions.​

I hope I could clear that up. :)

I have already updated the news a bit to make it clear what will work and what won't after upgrading from 1.2.0 Beta or an earlier version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom