1.2.2 upgrade (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Right now, we seem to have two different issues.

1. Some release builds of MediaPortal are triggering an error in the logs that a GIT build is installed.

2. Some MediaPortal files are not correctly updated by the installer.

What we do not know is whether the two issues are in any way related.

The way things work, the main installer (DeployTool) runs two different (NSIS) installers (the ones I mentioned in the post above).

The NSIS installers will always try to upgrade. The DeployTool installer is responsible for checking the installed version to see if an update is allowed.

Therefore, you would think that if it actually gets to trying to install, then everything would be okay.

Clearly we need to do more digging into this problem. Maybe some people have tried different versions of binary files to fix bugs. Maybe people are posting bugfix binaries in the forum.

Maybe for some reason a file has become locked. I don't think the NSIS installer checks that the files have been correctly replaced in every instance.

Prior to release, we were aware that if someone had installed a GIT build, the installer detected this but did not prevent installation. Since in our testing, the updates were correctly handled anyway, we felt that it was safe enough to release. In effect, this is a separate problem from issue 1, although the cause may well be related.

Basically, until we have more information, we are blundering around in the dark on this one.

Also, we have very little real information about how many people are updating to 1.2.2 without problems. If the problems are 1% then it may be something unusual on your systems. If the problems are 25%, then it is definitely a more serious issue.

Please help by reporting the problems, providing installer logs and information on which version you were updating from, and if you have installed any other fixes.

Thanks,

Mark

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    My installation was affected by 2. and it's a good idea to ask to provide information but I guess that there should be a better/more clear way to get the attention to do so.
    In one of the previous releases, there was a call and I have the impression that it was more obvious then this.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    My installation was affected by 2. and it's a good idea to ask to provide information but I guess that there should be a better/more clear way to get the attention to do so.
    In one of the previous releases, there was a call and I have the impression that it was more obvious then this.

Well, you noticed it, so it can't be all that bad.

However, you haven't provided the information, which is not good.

Sorry if I sound annoyed, but for me MediaPortal is working fine, so why should I spend my free time trying to help people who complain and don't help themselves?

Mark

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Mark, my issue has been solved so I did not have to look at this thread but did so just out of curiosity.
    I even have reported exactly what happened and added logs.

The reason that I suggested this is because I noticed that even the 1.2.2 announcement thread is polluted with bug reports and maybe, by creating a thread to this specific issue, those users find their way to it.
    I was just trying to help.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi Mark, my issue has been solved so I did not have to look at this thread but did so just out of curiosity.
    I even have reported exactly what happened and added logs.

The reason that I suggested this is because I noticed that even the 1.2.2 announcement thread is polluted with bug reports and maybe, by creating a thread to this specific issue, those users find their way to it.
    I was just trying to help.

I have now located your logs, but unfortunately the mediaportal install log is missing. Perhaps we are not collecting that one correctly. Could you please check your logs folder and see if it is still there, so we can debug the problem?

I realise that you found a solution to the problem, but that isn't the same as us finding out what caused the problem in the first place so that we can ensure that it doesn't happen for the next release.

Mark

RockJock

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    However, if you look in your user folder, AppData (for me the full path is

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaPortal Installation\deploy

obviously your username will be different, and it may be different for other operating systems)

You will see two files

package-mediaportal.exe
    package-tvengine.exe

these are the relevant parts of the installer. Run them in turn, and follow the (fairly obvious) instructions to run the update again.

AppData is a system folder, so you may have to make it visible using 'Folder and Search Option' (view tab).

Mark

I am happy to report that running the MP package fixed the problem for me. Thank you for your assistance.

jm_wsb

Portal Member
    April 14, 2009
    Hello,

same problem, for over 2 weeks after upgrade MP crashes conitinuely on resume form sleep mode (S3)

It get in the logs fe:
    PluginManager: InfoService, Version=1.5.0.65, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null is tagged as incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded!

install log attached .

Can you tell me how to solve this without un/reinstalling MP, because there are a lot of confiçguration chanes in it.

Thanks,
    Jeroen.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    It get in the logs fe:
    PluginManager: InfoService, Version=1.5.0.65, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null is tagged as incompatible with the current MediaPortal version and won't be loaded!

For this one, run the MediaPortal Extension Installer, and use it to update InfoService to the latest one.

This error message is correct since this version is indeed incompatible and there is a newer version.

I haven't looked at your logs right now, as I don't have time. Sorry.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom