1.20 issues still exists in 1.21 pre-release (1 Viewer)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I reported issues with .wtv and .dvr-ms in 1.20 that still exist in 1.21 pre-release; as follows:

1) .dvr-ms and .ts files have icons, that display a frame in the video, in file lists while .wtv files do not;
    2) .wtv and .ts videos record the last used position when a video is closed part way through (in the resume table), but dvr-ms files do not.

I think that all video files should be treated the same way when they in the video extensions list, (see below):

upload_2019-1-1_19-2-42.png

Are these going to be fixed in the 1.21 full release?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    (1) .dvr-ms and .ts files have icons, that display a frame in the video, in file lists while .wtv files do not;
    (2) .wtv and .ts videos record the last used position when a video is closed part way through (in the resume table), but dvr-ms files do not.
    I can confirm that these two problems exist in MP 1.21p (although I am using the internal build prior to the public pre-release build).

I have two "small" test files that I can provide if desired (where "small" means 26MB and 10MB for DVR-MS and WTV respectively).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

Thank you for getting back to me.

I would be happy to test anything you have that might resolve these issues. Are you talking about video files or executables; because, of course, I have loads of video files of all types?

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I would be happy to test anything you have that might resolve these issues.
    Apologies; I did not intend to imply that I have a fix. I was offering a DVR-MS file and a WTV file to any of the developers who want to try to fix this (not everyone has leftovers from WMC). I don't have the skills needed to fix the problems that you found. :(

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

No problem. Let's hope someone picks this up because it's a bit of an irritation for me and doesn't seem to me to be a big issue to fix.

Thanks again.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    That's great, Owlsroost.

Bye the way, here's another little issue that might be worth fixing:

upload_2018-9-15_8-0-1-png.198546

The label needs shifting up. Not vital in the scheme of things but a nice to fix I think.

It's just been bugging me for quite a while.

Thanks again.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    1) .dvr-ms and .ts files have icons, that display a frame in the video, in file lists while .wtv files do not;
    2) .wtv and .ts videos record the last used position when a video is closed part way through (in the resume table), but dvr-ms files do not.
    I think that there may be another inconsistency:

(3) WTV and TS files show the programme synopsis on the info OSD (if XML files exist for them), but DVR-MS files do not (even if XML files exist for them). Note that all three filetypes show the programme synopsis on the list form of the "Videos" panel when the file has the focus.

I noticed this with my "ClassicWide" skin, but "DefaultWideHD" exhibits the same quirk.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

I have installed the full release of 1.21 and can confirm, sadly, that both of the issues above have not been fixed. Furthermore, when I play a dvr-ms file, the resume process doesn't work at all. The file always plays from the beginning again.

I'm a little bit disappointed.

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    both of the issues above have not been fixed ... and when I play a dvr-ms file, the resume process doesn't work at all.
    The problem is that there are very few active developers working on MP1 now, and I think that MP2 is in the same situation. :( We all have things to do with our lives other than working on MP, and we must accept that some bugs will go unfixed, and some suggested improvements will go unimplemented. :(

I used Vista WMC for five years, during which I accumulated a large number of DVR-MS recordings. When I moved to MP in 2014, I too was disappointed to find that support for DVR-MS was worse than the support for TS (particularly not remembering the resume point). In the end I decided to convert all of my DVR-MS files to TS.

I happened to have a licensed copy of "VideoReDo", which can convert video DVR-MS to TS (but not audio-only DVR-MS to TS), so I used that to convert the TV recordings (but not the radio recordings). I wrote a bespoke tool to extract the metadata from the DVR-MS file and create the XML file that MP uses (so all of the converted files have the relevant info displayed in MP).

I never used Win7 WMC other than for testing, so I had no WTV files to convert. This was just as well, as I believe that it is only the "premium" version of "VideoReDo" that can convert WTV (not the version that I have), and my bespoke tool cannot extract the metadata from WTV files.

If you want to go the conversion route for a solution to this problem, you will need a tool to convert the files that you have (DVR-MS, WTV, audio-only), plus a tool to extract the metadata. There may now be freeware programs that will do this conversion (VLC would be the first one to investigate, although I found its conversion syntax to be incredibly obscure and difficult to understand). For the metadata, there is a tool by Stephen Toub that can display metadata (and I think that it works with WTV too), but I don't know whether it can be used in batch mode:
    Edit DVR-MS Metadata

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom