34 Clients .. Need some ideas (1 Viewer)

megacrypto

Portal Pro
October 20, 2006
lol, I stay in a lot of big chain hotels for work, and I can tell you that most of the big hotel type set ups may be stable, but they are painful to use for long periods. Lot's of slow response times and not as intuitive as you'd like.
They are fine for just watching a movie on demand but use them for a week or so and you're pulling your hair out ;-)

I've also had to call concierge every so often to get either my room's system or the hotel system itself reobboted when strange things happen.

Im not that familiar with these systems, but i was told to look at triax hotel solutions. i haven't yet.

Have a look at MythTV as well if you are still looking at different PVR setups.

Obviously networks clients are a lote more expensive than hotel type infrastructures, but the increase in functionality is massive, and in my opinion worth the additional costs :)

if this was my house i would put a htpc in the main rooms but not in all points. as for MythTV, i tried a long time ago to set it up, it was between VDR and MythTV, and i could never get MythTV to work at all, but VDR worked very nicely for almost a year or so until my hard drive crashed :) and then i didn't have the energy to set it up again.

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Lipwhizkit said:
    that can be done with floppydtv.. you can link them 1 to another..you only need a big case for it..
    and if you would tune 1 card to 1 transponder and set cam limit to the number of channels on that transponder you can go a long way with say 8 tuners.. considering that a transponder contains from 4 to 10 channels ..which can be decoded at the same time..
    could someone explain how this works? And... would I need only 1 (one!) Cam in the setup to decode scrambled channels?

cheers

joystick

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Lipwhizkit said:
    that can be done with floppydtv.. you can link them 1 to another..you only need a big case for it..
    and if you would tune 1 card to 1 transponder and set cam limit to the number of channels on that transponder you can go a long way with say 8 tuners.. considering that a transponder contains from 4 to 10 channels ..which can be decoded at the same time..
    could someone explain how this works? And... would I need only 1 (one!) Cam in the setup to decode scrambled channels?

cheers

joystick

you need a CAM for every floppydtv.. sorry..

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ... as in my area (almost) all the channels are scrambled, there is no option for me to share several deviced, without having several subscriptions....:(
    I am wondering when someone will invent a solution for this issue...

thx anyway

cheers
    joystick

RobertinoM

Portal Pro
    March 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    SmartWi?? Is it legal ???

I don't think so ... as the contract usually says that the card is bound to the receiver... and you wont get the box without card ;-)

And e.g. it won't work with Sky as they are updating every 3-6 weeks the key ... and check if it is in the correct box ...

limpwhizkid

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2008
    on your IPC$
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't think so ... as the contract usually says that the card is bound to the receiver... and you wont get the box without card ;-)

And e.g. it won't work with Sky as they are updating every 3-6 weeks the key ... and check if it is in the correct box ...

The card is bound to the receiver ? maybe in your country..
    But we are free as a bird to buy any receiver we want.. or.. only get a smartcard to watch digital tv..

It works with every provider.. you must read the information more carefully..
    up to 15 meters in any direction it will update the clients wirelessly..
    if you would connect 3 different decoders even the updates for the boxes work perfectly..
    you get 3 clients to go with the smartwi ... (had to update my cams to 3.14 but ok)..

with irdeto you can use up to max 4 wireless clients (uses more memory)..
    with other encryption stuff up to 6 wireless clients (sold seperatly)..

I do think its legal.. since there are also twintuner hd recorders with build in card splitter.. (humax 9200 something I think)..

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    as the contract usually says that the card is bound to the receiver... and you wont get the box without card ;-)

...no the card is not bound to the box in Germany, the providers however want to have a reciever #, though, but you can use your card in any receiver you like, with no problems.

All I know is: I'll give SmartWi a try....

cheers

joystick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom