3D video support for MP2 (2 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Both MP1 (via 3rd party plugin) & MP2 are having non-optimal 3D quality for the video playback. In both cases 50% of the pixels get lost as the image is scaled. To overcome this limitation we should do a proper 3D support. This can be done with Windows 8 natively with OS API (requires DX11.1 based renderer) or with olders OSes with GPU manufacturer specific APIs. It is propably only worth to go with the Windows 8 route.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tourettes, can you explain more? I believe that's just how SBS-HALF 3D videos are distributed, horizontal resolution is split in half (960x1080). Only bluray videos are 1920x1080 full resolution. Both Auto3D(MP1) and 3D video support are more targeted at SBS videos

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I don't think you can get around the 50% pixel loss, until we start using something other than bluray.

Intially I thought framepacking meant that you got full 1920x1080 3d bluray, but when I looked into it framepacking was just a transient format for the video as it went from the bluray player to the tv. The bluray spec can not store 2x1920x1080x24fps. I'm not sure, but I think the max is 720p60 which would be 2x1280x720x30fps ??

and if you calculate 1280x720 is actually less than 0.5x1920x1080. Although it probably looks sharper because you have square pixels instead of oblong pixels.

I'm sure you can explain in more details / point out if I'm wrong :)

Damn, I read another explanation which stated the video is stored on the bluray disc as 2 1080P frames on top of each other, but one of the frames is just a 'difference' frame, which explains how you can fit the the bandwidth needed on the bluray disc. This is probably the correct explanation.

@wouter1971 - side by side 3d is just 960x1080 resolution (or 1920x540 if over+under), whereas having alternate frames of full hd would be 1920x1080 resolution.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I don't think you can get around the 50% pixel loss, until we start using something other than bluray.

Intially I thought framepacking meant that you got all the pixels, but when I looked into it framepacking was just a transient format for the video as it went from the bluray player to the tv. The bluray spec can not store 2x1920x1080x24fps. I'm not sure, but I think the max is 720p60 which would be 2x1280x720x30fps ??

I'm sure you can explain in more details / point out if I'm wrong :)

Blu-ray's 3D support is full 1080p frames. It is done by having two separate streams on the disk and it will be compatible with the non-3D players because of that (they will render only the one "channel" present in the main M2TS files).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Tourettes, can you explain more? I believe that's just how SBS-HALF 3D videos are distributed, horizontal resolution is split in half (960x1080). Only bluray videos are 1920x1080 full resolution. Both Auto3D(MP1) and 3D video support are more targeted at SBS videos

You shouldn't be watching pirated content :p

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

You shouldn't be watching pirated content :p

That´s why i said videos instead of movies :censored:

spenca

Portal Pro
    December 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi all!

Great news!! There are several formats which 3D monitors understand, most of them are explained here. The format 3D Blu-ray player send to TV is "frame packing". This format is understand by the TV and it's switching automatically to 3D Mode. The kind the data is stored on a Blu-ray is a totally different thing and has nothing to do with the data send by HDMI over the TV. Theoretically everyone is able to recode a movie to a container or send it to graphics card directly in this format. All you have to do is to get the video specs.

All other integrated formats (Sidebyside, Top-Botton) are not understand by TV automatically, because for the TV it looks like a "normal" (2D) video frame. What I know there is no possibility to automatically switch the TV to a 3D mode, but it would be nice if there would be some possibility.

Greeting!

Mario

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom