4:3 skin ::: aMPed 2.0 final (4 Viewers)

Latvian3Dman

Portal Member
May 11, 2009
Riga
Home Country
Hehe, you absolutely right Joz, why not just try. I asked just because it might be definetely wasted time, to try that combination? As for me, i also create backup image of system partition before funny experiments ;) I am kinda conservative, i guess, cause i am using good ol' Norton Ghost.

P.S.: i was curious about Macrium Reflect and visited their page. Thing is, download link is not working right now otver there (CNet).

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm not totally clear about the changes between MP 1.1.0 Alpha and the new Beta. However, Migue told me he has used aMPed without problems on MP 1.1.0 Alpha, although as Joz said you don't get the new skin features of 1.1.0, but I have not implemented any in aMPed yet!

I am just finishing testing aMPed 2.1 beta. I have incorporated all the feedback/suggestions and fixed all the problems you have all reported to me so far. So this next SVN release should be pretty much the beta release.

I'm sorry it is taking so long, but for every change I have to check/test in 3 fonts, 3 themes and 2 screen sizes (so I can test overscan on my TV). That makes 18 tests for every change! SIGH! So Joz is totally right, I need all the help testing I can get!

EDIT: Chris just updated the Skin Changes page to show the changes between 1.1.0 Alpha and 1.1.0 Beta.

@ Migue - are you using the latest SVN with aMPed 2.1 (from SVN)?

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    aMPed 2.1 Beta

aMPed 2.1 Beta is now in SVN. Lots of fixes and improvements based on all your feedback. Thanks!

I even got all the Titles and text fields to auto adjust in different font sizes. I removed a lot of obsolete files, resized and compressed all media files with pnggauntlet. So be sure to RECACHE after updating.

I am still finishing an alternate BasicHome. A sample (incomplete) is in the Layouts folder. But it is easy enough to check out and give me feedback if you like (the first three items are working and the basic layout is done.)

I still have to test new versions of plugins as there have been a number of new releases lately. I also need to test aMPed 2.1 in MP 1.0.0 (for users sticking to TVE2!).

So, you have a few days to test this beta, report any problems and/or make final suggestions before I release the new version.

I do have a couple of design issues I would like feeback on:
    1. ICONS views - how much do you like the fanart/backdrops to show behind the icons/thumbnails?
    2. LISTS - How wide do you like the lists? Short, to show more of the fanart, or long to show more of the text?

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks darkside, it will be good to know how it works with the new Beta!

Does anyone have any experience creating a simple install program like XFace uses? All it needs to do is allow users to select their font, theme, TVGuide layout (8 or 10 lines), and Video Shares Layout. If you're interested, just PM me!

Latvian3Dman

Portal Member
    May 11, 2009
    Riga
    Home Country
    Thanks again Dadeo for your hard work! I updated SVN, also exported another copy for "Monochrome" version testing. I still use Media Portal 1.0.2. Some first quick notes here from me :)
    For some reason after SVN update I lost weather information on top of Home page. In MediaPortal configuration I have RSS-Ticker with weather enabled. How did I lost it, any ideas?
    About icons view in My Video, i guess matter of taste, but for me background art seems distracting, it kinda mixes with actual pictures of icons and result is, well, less defined icons to see (sorry my clumsy english). I would rather see some bigger picture pop-up of current highlighted icon.
    About lines lenght in list view: yeah, thats a good question. Especially when using bigger font, lines seems too short. But background art in list view is cool, it shouldnt be too much sacrified. So, i dont know really. I guess it is difficult to make it customizable in a user friendly way (not editing XML-s)?
    And semi-personal question :) Remember in our PM conversation you asked how i live with scrolling long date (day, month) line? Yeah I dont like it scrolls. Last month I edited xml a bit to make its place longer and it was okay, it didnt scroll anymore. In august. But "september" is longer word :) And I think giving it more place will interfere in other views. Your suggestions how to right approach this small problem maybe?
    And a little off-topic, about plugins, i would like to point that now there is new version of Online Videos (if somebody missed that fact), and it mostly works okay. Also Apple movie trailers works. I dont know about all you guys, but for me plugin My Trailers is still broken, famous "Audio codec" error. So I disabled it and now I use Online Videos instead.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    1. Weather etc. - RSSTicker has been replaced by Infoservice as announced in my post on previous page a few days ago. InfoService is much better, try it you'll like it! :) (I sound like a commercial!)
    2. Icons Layouts - Thanks for the feedback on Icons. If many users agree, I can easily make the backdrops less visible. Icons view does have a bigger picture/cover display at the bottom, except in Video views where it doesn't fit. In those cases, the only option is to have less icons and a big cover/poster (like aMPed 2.0). In Music and Pictures the backgrounds are currently more visible. In Videos they are more covered so that text is readable. See which you like better.
    3. List Layouts - I did put longer lines in Music lists since the album/artist names are often longer. So check it out there and see what you think. If everyone likes them longer I can easily change it. One idea I had was to not use the blue bar for the focussed item, just have the text highlighted + with an arrow. That way the longer text does not cover the backdrops as much. But when I tried it I was concerned it was not as easy to see where you are in the list. I guess I need a flashing arrow! ;)
    4. Dates - Easy , it takes 2 minutes to edit the strings xml for your language to use abbreviations for Months and Days which is what I do and I like it much better than the long ones. Or you can use a numeric date and time. Just see the Readme for instructions on either.
    5. Plugins - I did notice the new version of OnlineVideos. It's on my list to test along with the new version of Showtimes, MyLyrics, Youtube.fm, Infoservice, MusicVideos.... it never ends! OnlineVideos has a new version every week! But it is good to know it is working for you. I cannot play mp4 (HD) streams on my setup.
    6. My Trailers - works perfectly for me. You need the right codecs. Joz fixed me up so now everything plays for me (except mp4s). Yes you can get trailers in OnlineVideos though Showtimes also shows trailers and is a much more advanced plugin imho! Let me know if you want codec instructions and I'll PM you.
    EDIT: Oops it's MyTrailers that shows other clips not Showtimes, but it does show trailers and supports fanart!

@Eyepop - I just saw this post MP Skin Converter You might want to give it a try to see if it adjusts 720x576 to 800x600

Eyep0p

Portal Pro
    June 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Eyepop - I just saw this post MP Skin Converter You might want to give it a try to see if it adjusts 720x576 to 800x600

Hey Dadeo!
    maybe i try it. But the normal aMPed looks very okay for me now. Sorry that i did't go on with the testing. Had no time for that...

Latvian3Dman

Portal Member
    May 11, 2009
    Riga
    Home Country
    I set InfoService plugin now and all is fine with weather in "Home" now, thanks. Sorry I missed that point in earlier post, about Ticker being replaced with InfoService.
    I fixed scrolling date by editing strings... xml, thanks for tip, and yes, its in "Readme", but you know Murphy's Law - "(Only) if nothing else helps - read the manual." :D
    Some small wish I have: in "Home", please allow line lenghts a little longer. When using font 18, entry name "My Moving Pictures" won't fit.
    About MyTrailers: when particular trailer is entered, that vertical scrolling information area at bottom half of screen, it is kinda small in height, isnt it?
    About Online Videos: when browsing all categories there is a square icon at the right bottom, and its fine. When entering AppleTrailers and browsing movies there, that picture stays square, but shows movie poster, and its distorted in proportions of course. I am not sure is that question about skin or about plugin itself.

Off topic: about Codecs, thats the only thing i kinda hate about MediaPortal. I've tried by MP Codec Guide pdf, tried by some forum users suggestions, tried SAF, tried some typical codec packs like K-Lite, but i never got ideal or close-to-ideal situation. Right now I would have no complaints if not MyTrailers. I got that "Audio codec" error no matter what (GameTrailers works, MovieTrailers dont).

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just did a short test with the latest SVN and 18pt. Fonts on my 55cm CRT.
    Till now no problems here, but i am only using My TV Series, Moving Pictures and Online Videos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom