[fixed] [4378] Issues accessing network share using the service (1 Viewer)

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Just started the MP2 Server Service as "NT AUTHORITY\LocalService" instead of the NetworkService account.
    Nothing different. Exactly the same behaviour as described above...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks to both of you for deep testing!

My Service runs as "NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService" (Information is shown as "SERVICE_START_NAME")

This could be the issue: I think "Network Service" has no permission to impersonate, so please try "SYSTEM" account!

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks Morph! This explains a lot...

First of all, when running the MP2 Server Service with the LocalSystem account, it works as it should - I can check either one of the Network Credential Options or both of them, and it still works.
    It also explains, why "stealing" the credentials from the Explorer works: LocalSystem has (local) admin rights and is therefore allowed to do this.

The only question I have is: Does our installer Register the MP2 Server Service with LocalSystem credentials? Sorry, I usually don't use our installer - I just compile the branch, copy the files and then Register the Service usind the SC command - which seems to Default to the "NetworkService" account (I didn't specify an account when registering at first).

Finally, I'll try to find some time to note this in the wiki for those who don't use the installer like me...

Thanks again - so if someone can confirm that the installer uses the LocalSystem account by Default, we can mark this as "solved" and merge the branch!

Michael

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I'm always using the installer and for me the Server is running as "LocalSystem" and it's called "MP2-Server"...

MP2 Sever.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Installed the new MP2 Alpha 2 to try out, but I can't add any shares because MP2 doesn't find any.

Works great in Windows and MP1. I installed Alpha2 client and server on my HTPC, all media files are on a different machine in the network (same login and password on all of my Machines).

In MP2 settings i tried the three different combinations under Server Settings/Network credentials, but it finds nothing.

rkooten

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Hi guys,

Just gave MP2 alpha2 a quick run... incredibly impressive how smooth it all is! Just dropping a line confirming the above on Windows7, Windows 2008 R2 based Active Directory enabled network. Single-seat installation. I currently use network shares successfully with MediaPortal 1, haven't been able to get them to show up in MP2 alpha2.

Keep up the great work! :)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

eRJe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2009
    Den Helder
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

I'm facing(almost) the same issue. I'm giving MP2 for the first time a spin but getting stuck at configuring the network shares.

I'm using a single seat (client/server) setup on a Windows 7 pro PC connected to a network switch. There is a samba server with several shares that have been mapped in Windows. With Windows File Explorer I can browse the shares. MP1 is able to play music and movies on these shares.

From what I understand is I should be able to add shares as local file system resource by doing the following steps:

settings-->shares-->shares configuration: add share
    Then I choose local filesystem source provider
    And then I'm lost... Shouldn't I now see my network drives?

I read the forum and tried several options with setting the credentials.

Would be great if the guide could be written to set this up. If I can figure out the setup I'm willing to put in some effort to update the wiki.

Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi eRJe,

there is still some misunderstanding with the shares configuration, which is mainly caused by the Wiki not being up to date. Sorry for that. I'll try to find some time tomorrow and update the wiki pages chefkoch has prepared above.
    In short:
    The LocalFileSystemResourceProvider is only for shares, which are directly connected to your server. This is why windows mapped drives are not shown with this provider - they are not local file systems, they are remote file systems (in your case located on your samba server)
    For accessing remote file systems, in particular SMB and CIFS shares (in your case samba shares, but of course also windows drive shares on other computers) you need to use the NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider.
    However to use the latter one and be able to browse the network, you need to tell the MP2 server the credentials of a user which has
    a) the rights to browse the network on your MP2 server computer (in case of global shares) or your MP2 client computer (in case of local shares) and
    b) the right to at least read access on the network share you are connecting to (in your case the samba server)
    You can enter the credentials in Settings->Server Settings->Network Credentials
    Check both checkboxes there (I'll explain those in the wiki) and enter username and password of a user with the described rights.
    After that add your share with the NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider.
    Enjoy :)
    Michael

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Ok, I've spent some hours today filling the MP2 wiki with content. I've always appreciated the work of our @Docs Team, but now I really know how hard your job is... :D
    I'd be grateful if some of you could read what I have added here http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/2_Setup_Guides/Media_Shares and here http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/2_MEDIAPORTAL_2/2_Setup_Guides/Media_Shares/1_Shares_on_Server and "beautify" it as necessary.
    If there is something you don't understand, please let me know.
    @chefkoch @morpheus_xx if one of you guys could also read though it, I would feel better because I tried to describe also scenarios, which I personally never use - so if there's something wrong, please feel free to correct.
    Now we still need the two missing tutorials, but I won't be able to do that today. If there are other volunteers, I won't stop them :D
    Michael

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom