A decoder for the new track could not be found. track type: SRT/UTF8 (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I still think it's weird that a subtitle codec breaks the hw. acc. of the video codec...Aren't they 2 completely different things? Is the subtitle codec supposed to influence the video (processing/quality)? Isn't that something that should be added later, after the processing of the video or something? That sounds more logical to me...
    But than, I don't know how this works...

Depends how the subtitles are drawn / rendered on the screen. There are few possible ways to handle that. First two are allowing HW acceleration to be used when decoding the video stream.

1) Subtitle is drawn by MP code, by using DirectX surface. This is how DVB subtitles are done.
    2) DVD subtitles are drawn / decoded by the MPEG2 codec (subpicture input pin). This is also hw DVD menus are drawn
    3) Adding a vobsub or other subtitle filter to the directshow graph. This filter gets inserted after the video decoder and this will disable the hardware acceleration as there cannot be anything between video decoder and video renderer if the HW acceleration is used. (adding ffdshow as postprocessing filter will also disable the HW acceleration).

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I still think it's weird that a subtitle codec breaks the hw. acc. of the video codec...Aren't they 2 completely different things? Is the subtitle codec supposed to influence the video (processing/quality)? Isn't that something that should be added later, after the processing of the video or something? That sounds more logical to me...
    But than, I don't know how this works...

Depends how the subtitles are drawn / rendered on the screen. There are few possible ways to handle that. First two are allowing HW acceleration to be used when decoding the video stream.

1) Subtitle is drawn by MP code, by using DirectX surface. This is how DVB subtitles are done.
    2) DVD subtitles are drawn / decoded by the MPEG2 codec (subpicture input pin). This is also hw DVD menus are drawn
    3) Adding a vobsub or other subtitle filter to the directshow graph. This filter gets inserted after the video decoder and this will disable the hardware acceleration as there cannot be anything between video decoder and video renderer if the HW acceleration is used. (adding ffdshow as postprocessing filter will also disable the HW acceleration).

Ah, thanks for the insight!
    So DVD (MPEG2) and TV/DVB (MPEG2 and X264 in DVB streams) are able to show subtitles with hw. acc. because there is nothing between the video decoder and the video renderer, and the files with divx in an avi container or x264 in a mkv container have to use a subtitle filter in the directshow graph and by doing so, disabling hw. acc., do I understand correctly?
    And what about the use of x264 on BR discs...how are subtitles handled there?

For me personally, I don't need subs, unless it's a film in languages other than Dutch, English or German. I do need hw. acc. though, so point 3 is not really an option for me. I just need MP to always work without a subtitle filter enabled/installed so I can use hw. acc..

Is it not possible to bypass the DVS filter when it is not needed, so hw acc will stay enabled in all of those cases where DVS filter is not needed and the options 1 and 2 can be used (or when there are no subtitles)?

EDIT: Bottom line is I don't want to use DVS filter (because that breaks hw acc) and still be able to play moviefiles that need DVS for subtitles.

Again, :D for all your insight!

chimbochoc

Portal Member
    July 11, 2008
    tourettes: thanks for the insight! Is it currently possible to use MP code to draw subtitles on top of HW accellerated x264/VC-1 HD content, as you suggested in 1)? How would we have to configure MP then?

Also: Is there currently a possibility of getting rid of the popup error message? I have tried to uninstall DVS, but when there is x264/VC-1 HD content containing subtitles I always get the error message (using PDVD 8 h264 decoder).

thanks and best regrads,
    chimbo

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Is there currently a possibility of getting rid of the popup error message? I have tried to uninstall DVS, but when there is x264/VC-1 HD content containing subtitles I always get the error message (using PDVD 8 h264 decoder).

This is exactly the problem people are reporting here. :D
    As I understand it it should be fixed in RC2, so you can watch x264/VC-1 HD content containing subtitles without DVS installed.
    Can't wait to try it out :p

chimbochoc

Portal Member
    July 11, 2008
    yes, you are right :)

I would even try to fix it by myself if I only knew which file to change. It should not be more than commenting out one line I would assume.

Anybody knows where to fix?

best regards,
    chimbo

chimbochoc

Portal Member
    July 11, 2008
    Hi all,

I have just checked out MP sources from Subversion (rev. 19376, which still contained this bug). However, I have searched through all of the files but could not find any string similar to "decoder for the" :(

Isn't it an error message created by MP?

Thanks and regards,
    chimbo

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Anyone tried if it is fixed in the RC2 release?

Nope, unfortunately MP still can't handle mkv with embedded subtitles in an mkv container with hw acc on.
    Without subtitles embedded, MP works perfect with MKV h264 files, with hw. acc. supported codecs like the PowerDVD codecs.
    After some searching, I found that in fact there is NO player or anything available to do this, this is just not possible yet...

So atm, in MP:
    - It IS possible to show h264 mkv files without subtitles embedded with hw acc.
    - It IS possible to show h264 mkv files without subtitles embedded without hw acc.
    - It IS possible to show h264 mkv files with subtitles embedded without hw acc. (with VSfilter)
    - It IS NOT possible to show h264 mkv files with subtitles embedded with hw acc.

BUT...I found a workaround that for people like me is a perfect solution.
    Use MKVToolnix to delete the subtitles in the mkv file, and voila...your mkv file that first wouldnt play with hw acc in MP, now does!
    The only drawback is that you don't have the subs anymore (who cares?! :D )

I hope this will help out more people struggling with this.

LttlScamp

Portal Member
    August 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I could be wrong (it's been a while since I looked at this) but I believe based on looking at the graphedit graph that even though the MKV has subtitles it still DOES use HW acceleration. You just get that annoying pop-up message that you have to clear. However, once it's cleared playback does occur with acceleration.

kkendal, does your MKVToolnix workaround break non-English subtitles in English language movies? i.e. if there is dialogue in another language other than English will they be displayed if you remove subs with MKVToolnix?

chimbochoc

Portal Member
    July 11, 2008
    kkendall: thanks for the information! As you obviously have RC2 installed, can you tell us if the popup message still pops up?

I can live with the fact that HW accelleration does not work if the movie has subs, but then when it falls back to non-HW accelleration mode, I don't want to have that popup message appear everytime.

thanks and regards,
    chimbo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom