A guide to stutter free playback with Reclock (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What position do you have the 'vsync correction' slider set to ?

I have it like this: -----------------------V----------- a little bit on the right from middle

I spotted this position with the temoprary use of ffdshow (without DXVA, file 23,976fps 720p mkv h264) and with the help of the on-screen indicators for vsync and tearing of Reclock (with DXVA they are not shown): deactivate vsync correction, play file, wait for stutterfree playback (vertical line running smooth without stutter), look for the vcync indicator position on the left (up is left, bottom is right in Reclock settings, it goes up and down, pause-play repositions it also), where it resides for the moment.

But you can simply experiment a bit with several positions too (try-and-error)

The same ffdshow vsync position could be used for powerDVD-DXVA setup too. But stutterfree playback takes 1-3 seconds sometimes after starting movie (vsync position takes its place).

Thanks for the info - from other forums, most people seem to have it set between 25% and 75% (from the left).

and remember... under Vista and Evr you have to activate Aero to allow reclock to set the vsynch in your own position.

I have Aero enabled - you need it to get tear-free playback.

Tony

knob2001

Portal Member
    December 9, 2007
    Hi...

I'm having the same stuttering problems with my setup.
    My plasma is not 24p.caplabe. I have an Ati 3200 (780g) and xp3 with latest ffdshow.
    The funny thing is that for the last year i used to have a perfect stutterfree setup. I don't know what the hell i've touched, but it's impossibe to Find a working setup again.
    Anyway, i have some questions about the config of Many of the different codecs installed.

From top to bottom:
    ati control panel. vsync status: which one? ON / OFF
    ffdshow: beta5 or beta6
    CoreCodec: Better for this porpouse? I mean, DVXA yes or no?
    Audio: as passthrough is not recommended, i'm using ffdshow with just 16bit
    Clicked.
    Reclock: vsync actived. Lock at auto (the wat it should be).

Like i said before, i can't find find a stutterfree setup... Do you have a working setup? I don't care if i have to reinstall everything from scratch again ;)
    So, if someone has an updated setup (new reclock) and ati drivers versión, could you drop it here?

Thank you
    knob2001

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Have you tried to setup the vsynch reclock target position? Probably the stuttering issue is related to vsynch signal.
    Also if you use CoreCodec such as my configuration with Panasonic 37PV60 I let you know that codec use NV12 colour space ad default so you have to set on the "use with dxva " check box.
    My plasma do not have any 24P compliant refresh rate so I use 50 HZ/Pal refresh one.

Hi...

I'm having the same stuttering problems with my setup.
    My plasma is not 24p.caplabe. I have an Ati 3200 (780g) and xp3 with latest ffdshow.
    The funny thing is that for the last year i used to have a perfect stutterfree setup. I don't know what the hell i've touched, but it's impossibe to Find a working setup again.
    Anyway, i have some questions about the config of Many of the different codecs installed.

From top to bottom:
    ati control panel. vsync status: which one? ON / OFF
    ffdshow: beta5 or beta6
    CoreCodec: Better for this porpouse? I mean, DVXA yes or no?
    Audio: as passthrough is not recommended, i'm using ffdshow with just 16bit
    Clicked.
    Reclock: vsync actived. Lock at auto (the wat it should be).

Like i said before, i can't find find a stutterfree setup... Do you have a working setup? I don't care if i have to reinstall everything from scratch again ;)
    So, if someone has an updated setup (new reclock) and ati drivers versión, could you drop it here?

Thank you
    knob2001

knob2001

Portal Member
    December 9, 2007
    Hi...

Thankyou for the advice about the nv12,i didn't know that. I think i don't understand very well the process to find the famous jerky spot of the vsync. As far as i know you have to play and pause the video without having the vsync option enabled. Once you notice where the cross is, move the bar to the opposite side. I'll try to do it again.
    Someone knows if the vsync of the ati control panel is usefull?

Thank you
    knob2001

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    knob2001

here is my setup, maybe this helps you, works for me very good:

- ATi CCC vSync "always on"
    - I use PDVD7 h264 codec with DXVA, PDVD7 MPG2 codec with DXVA, ffdshow as divX and xvid (of course without dxva)
    - Reclock Video settings "accept video speedup" up to 10% (24->25 means 4%), do not forget this!
    - Reclock advanced settings "enable vSync correction" for every renderer (upper 2 checkboxes), "allow vSync correction for DXVA" enabled
    - ReCloc vSync position like this: ------------------------v-------------

Setup Guide:
    - install ReClock, set it up like above
    - setup MePo video section: choose h.264 codec, and ReClock as audio renderer (use a non-dxva h.264 codec or disable dxva first)
    - in CCC vSYnc always on
    - start 24p video playback in MePo
    - ReClock icon should appear in tray, click on it -> Reclock window opens
    - activate "show vsync and tear test" at the buttom
    - with ctrl+shift+alt+F11orF12 you can move vSync desired position up and down, watch for the most jerky spot or the most smooth spot (they should be half a screen hight apart from each other)
    - close everything, open ReClock setup and set the vSync position to the smooth position on the last tab (left is up, right is bottom)
    - now you can activate DXVA or choose a DXVA-codec (if you try to setup this with DXVA, you will not see the tear test or the vSync indikator!!!)
    examples for vSync position (J is jerky S is smooth):
    --J----------------S--------------
    ----------J----------------S------
    and not:
    --J----------------------------S-- they are close to each other!

if you use CoreAVC, you do not need DVA enabled, it does not use it.

knob2001

Portal Member
    December 9, 2007
    Hi!...

Thank you for the setup!... This is what i was looking for, a detailed setup for newcomers with the reclock as the base. I've post a thread on reclock's forum too becouse although there's a lot of info available about reclock, there's no simple steps of already tested setups.

About your config... i've read you have to use the VRM9 on a fullscreen exclusive mode, otherwise reclock will not work as expected. Is that true?

I'm dealing with the Vsync slider, but to have it clearer:
    Pressing SHIFT-CTRL-ALT-F10 shows the Vsync on screen WITHOUT any correction, just the Vsync reclock sees.
    Then,
    watch for the most jerky spot or the most smooth spot (they should be half a screen hight apart from each other)
    So, when i see the dots (every dot is a frame rendered, as far as i know), jumping from top to bottom, or moving up and down, without adaptation checked, are you saying that moving the Vsync up and down will give me more or less stutter??? I can't imagine what "Jerky" means applied to image, sorry.

Then, once i know the position of the most stutter point, i have to close everything, move the slider away from it, and press play. Repeting the process until the stutter dissapear at all.

Thankyou about the DXVA tip... i was getting crazy when the Vsync bars disappeared from the screen.

UPDATE:
    I have a decent image and audio if i choose kernel streaming as a audio device at reclock, but only on some movies... tonight i will try the kszabo setup.

My specs:
    Lastest ATi catalyst drivers.
    Mp 1.1.0 beta
    CoreAVC 1.9
    Ffdshow beta6
    Latest realtek audio drivers using HD output

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    jerky = I meant stutter.

Stutter is hard to see, easy if there is a camera panning or (the best) is the scrolling text on the end of the movie. You can activate tear test (white horizontal line going from left to right), if this line runs constantly (without stutter) you have your smooth spot, if you have stutter, it stutters also (runs not smoothly with constant speed).

I use default settings of detecting hardware (under Reclock config -> video and audio), no kernel streaming etc...

so once more:
    0. make sure: video speedup (ca. 10%) enabled, vSync correction enabled for all renderers, DXVA in ReClock enabled if you want to use it, CCC vSync always on
    1. you start playback (without DXVA)
    2. hit ctrl+alt+shift and F9 and F10 -> you have vSync indicator on the left, horizontal bar running from left to right
    3. you move the vSync position up and down (ctrl+alt+shift and F11 or F12, it has a lag, follows slowly the desired position), and watch for the behaviour of the horizontal line
    4. remember the best position for smooth playback
    5. close everything, open Reclock config and set the vSync slider to this position (top is left, bottom is right)

knob2001

Portal Member
    December 9, 2007
    Hi...

Thank you for your patience, kszabo.

Unfortunately i've tried your setup, but the pdvd is not able to sync the image at all. The dots are not stable in any of the positions of the slider, even at the position where coreAVC or MC work.

Right know, the only way to have a stutterfree setup is:
    Mediaportal:
    H264->MC-HC standalone or CoreAVC. Ffdshow can't vsync or something is going really bad there becouse is not just the Stuttering but the complete stop of the image for several seconds.
    AUDIO: MC-HC again or in this case, ffdshow works too. Both are in 16bit multichannel output (not Spdif as everybody knows reclock doesn't like codec streams)
    I have to mention about the subtitles. With the DirectVosub i had a lot Tearing, after using the 1.1.0 buitin Mediaportal button, the tearing dissapeared.

On Reclock: (Things that i've changed from defaults)
    PCM and AC-3 / DTS -> Kernel Streaming
    Kernel stresming -> Realtek HD audio output
    Use AC-3 ecoding Checked with only with multichannel sources too

Hardware INterface: DirectDraw
    Assumed frame rate when not found: 23,976

On advanced: The three of them clicked, and the target of the Vsync on the right side (about 75% of the whole line)

I have included the: /NOEXECUTE=ALWAYSOFF /FASTDETECT /USEPMTIMER /NODEBUG /TIMERES=9766 to the boot.ini as it does a lot of magic about the internal clocks and how reclock manages them.

So... i can't remember what i had the last year when everything was so smooth. I'm sure it had nothing to be with the above setup... Maybe it's all about the audio drivers.

Regards.
    knob2001

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    knob2001: What plugins do you use?

I've just come to understand that the HTPC Info plugin causes lots of stutter for me. I turned it off today, and now both XViD and h264 video is very smooth (again). It's so easy to add a plugin (some even come with skin installations), then all of a sudden the video doesn't work as smooth as before, but you just never remember the plugin, but just focus on video/audio drivers.

Just a tip.
    Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom