A new Plugin for the Music-Part! Is it possible? (2 Viewers)

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    the "ancient art of tagging"

I completely disagree, tagging (meta-information in general) is definitely the way to go... With movie files being 10Gigs+, who cares if an mp3 file is 3 or 5 MB large? Why maintain a perferct order structur/naming scheme instead of using a widely accepted industry standard? I'm sure moving-pictures and mp-tvseries would work ALOT better if instead of file-parsing at least an id of the movie/episode would be stored within the file. :p

Same thing for images: the new picasa has an amazing face recognition but instead of storing the information in the files (xmp for example) it creates ".ini" files -> no chance to use the pictures with another program or even with picasa on another pc!

Not everyone uses .mp3 files. You have ID3-tags in your .wav files? If space isn't important, you can use .wav files. See where I'm going with this? :p Also, it's like I said in my previous post, only a different opinion.

Emph

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Not everyone uses .mp3 files. You have ID3-tags in your .wav files? If space isn't important, you can use .wav files. See where I'm going with this? :p Also, it's like I said in my previous post, only a different opinion.

Emph

Yes, i have my wav files tagged. MPTagThat can do that.
    Tell me of a music file format, that you have in your collection, which is not listed here and i'll implement support for it.

no excuses for not tagging. :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

If you want to have music stored in loseless format(s) I definately would recommend to use FLAC or any other similar media format, as they are usually able to compress the audio almost to 50% of the original size. And if you for some really odd reason want to still use WAVs just check hwahrmann's reply :)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you are a bit lazy and feeling lucky, then you might wanna have a look at MusicBrainz.

A bit time consuming, but not much action required before libarary has been scanned.
    Find much automagically - depending on threshold set.

RandyKC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't mind the "List" layout in "Shares" view, I just wish that it performed better. Selecting Music from the main menu can take up to 30 seconds to load the page.

I installed Boxee this morning to see how they handle their music section. Nice, fast interface that grabs artist info from Last.fm and searched mtv for music videos by the selected artist. Would be nice to add those features to MP Music.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Considering this has become some sort of "wish tread" - here is mine:
    - I don't see the need for a dedicated "No playing" and "Playlist" screen. I would think that a good designer could make one screen which covers both.

Looking forward to seeing some much-ups! ( ... up for the challenge, emphatic? :D).

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Despite the issues tourettes lined out I just realize that even some team members do not "know" that their wishes can be done with MP.
    This leads me to two conclusions:
    1. The music part could already have too many features as only few people invest the time to get the maximum out of it
    (Yeah - even backdrops are easily doable without any codechange. I myself however wouldn't like to watch the 500x500px images on a 100" screen).
    2. The USER documentation is certainly worse than poor. Of course the wiki explains the basic stuff. Of course some people here earn a lot of credits to explain the database views and how to configure them almost weekly. Of course I really like sophisticated feedback (e.g. sometimes from Helios61) pointing out what we can NOT do.

However I think that those people who complain the loudest wouldn't even read a perfect documentation if it means to read more than just one page. This is frustrating for the devs who try to investigate every feature request. This is frustrating for the supporters who do step by step guides. This is frustrating for the users trying to advertise their requests and why they would be useful.
    In the end there is no "win" situation for anyone. So please try to stay open minded and respect every other poster in this thread. Share your ideas but think before you post ;)

druid9

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 31, 2006
    If yags are not present, then MPTagThat can create tags from filename

I know this has moved on somewhat (great debate here obviously), but for sake of completeness, MPTagthat doesn't easily identify which files have or don't have tags, although it can create them from filenames

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Of course I really like sophisticated feedback (e.g. sometimes from Helios61) pointing out what we can NOT do.

rtv, i hope, i have correctly understood your post! Should it be so: rtv, i think, here is not the right place for arrogance and sarcasm! :( And please read the topic of this thread!

So please try to stay open minded and respect every other poster in this thread.
    Please!

Best regards

Helios

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    If yags are not present, then MPTagThat can create tags from filename

I know this has moved on somewhat (great debate here obviously), but for sake of completeness, MPTagthat doesn't easily identify which files have or don't have tags, although it can create them from filenames

if it reads in a folder and finds a file without tags, then the tags are simply displayed empty.
    And you can set filters, showing just files for example with no artist or no title.

Currently working on a "Find" function, which searches for all kind of tags. can also be used to search for missing tags.

I'm still waiting for a mockup for a functionality that Gixxer suggested in the MPTagThat forum, which allows automatic tagging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom