A/V Sync Picture before audio (1 Viewer)

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Okay here goes...
    I have A/V sync somewhat off when playing some HD videofiles. Everything is fine when playing SD files or watching live-tv, sd or hd.
    Sound is a bit after the picture, lice half a second or maybe a bit more. It's not much but annoying.
    There are settings for audio delay at many places, my amp and in MPAR and so on, but I need the opposite.. what to do?

Here is the longer story of things I already have tested how things are connected and configured.

I have two Nucs, one in Bedroom and one in Living room. It was time to upgrade to Win8.1 and upgrade MePo so I did that, full wipe and clean install. no additional codec packs and stuff, clean system.
    I reinstalled the first client when it was in the bedroom, simple setup and directly attached to the tv using hdmi.
    Everything was just fine and all movies and videos played as they should.
    Codecs are configured according to the 5 min "perfect playback guide" and the only diversion from this is hardware acceleration is set to DXVA (Native) and not Intel Quicksync as the guide suggest. The reason for that is online videos problem with SVT Play. Switching back to Intel quicksync does not change anything exept breaking playback of SVT Play. So anyway, everything was fine and all tested a-ok so my thinking was to move this from the bedroom to the livingroom and that's what I did, things where still fine until I wanted to watch an epoisode of GOT, a/v sync off. Oh yeah, my amp does handle dolby digital and dts and blah blah so I ticked those boxes and figured things now would be in sync, but no, still off.
    So, as soon as connecting the computer directly to the tv using hdmi a/v sync is fine, and as soon as connecting it MePo --> amp --> tv a/v sync is off.

First I tested different codec settings and audio renderers and no matter what I did i could not make it any better, playing with audio delay only made it worse. The tv also have some settings for a/v sync but these make no difference at all since audio never ends up in the tv. The amp have a/v sync and it can also only delay audio.

I reset the tv to factory defaults, no difference.
    I reset the amp to factory defaults, no difference.

Logs are attached and what I did are exactly this:
    Reboot PC so things are "fresh".
    (skipping forward in the logs is me searching for speaking scenes to make shure things are as I claim)
    AMP Says part is me pressing a button on the amp and it display what type of input is coming to the amp.
    Start live-tv SVT1 (in sync)
    AMP says: MCH 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/50
    Switch to SVT1HD (in sync)
    AMP says: MCH 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/50
    Start Fargo S01E01 (in sync)
    AMP says: PCM 2.0, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24
    Start GOT S01E01 (out of sync)
    AMP says: Dolby D 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24
    Start The Hobbit The Desolation Of Smaug (out of sync)
    AMP says: DTS 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24
    Start Arrested Development S01E01 (in sync)
    AMP says: PCM 2.0, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24
    If rating the different in or out of sync I would say "The Hobbit The Desolation Of Smaug" is the most out of sync of them all.

Hardware used:"Livingroom Client"
    NUC model is Intel DC3217IYE
    Amp is Teac AG-D500
    TV is LG55LM620T
    Connection is NUC --> AMP --> TV
    LAV-Audio.JPG
    MePoConfig-Movies.JPG
    MePoConfig-TV.JPG
    MPAR.JPG

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Oh yeah, my amp does handle dolby digital and dts and blah blah so I ticked those boxes and figured things now would be in sync, but no, still off.
    As the perfect playback guide says:
    It doesn't matter if you use HD-Audio / HDMI audio / Digital Co-axial / Optical SPDIF / RCA - you must disable bitstreaming so we can decode everything for MPAR. Trust me you will not lose out on quality we are using the all powerful mediaportal audio renderer!!!!! MPAR can output HD audio via PCM. We also don't want A/V Sync correction in LAV!!!

So, as soon as connecting the computer directly to the tv using hdmi a/v sync is fine, and as soon as connecting it MePo --> amp --> tv a/v sync is off.
    Doesn't that tell you that the issue might be the AMP/receiver?
    Is it possible to try PC -> TV -> AMP?

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ticked the boxes with dts and stuff makes no difference, audio is still off, that's why I ticked them in the forst place - will untick as soon as I get home and post back.

PC->TV->AMP work BUT the amp have dual hdmi output, one for my tv and one for my projector - so that's not an option for me :/

You might be right that it is something with the amp, but playing a movie using chromcast or on ps3 a/v is in sync.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Try disabling the 'timestretch' option in MPAR and test your videos again to see if that changes things.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Unticked dts and that stuff in LAV and played The hobbit, still a/v sync is bad.
    AMP says: MCH PCM 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24

Disabled time strech and that did nothing, at least nothing noticeable.

Tried playing it in VLC (used portable edition since I do not want other stuff besides MePo installed) and played The hobbit, a/v sync was fine!
    Ehh... WTF?
    Tried GOT - again fine.
    Opened MePo config, disabled dynamic refreshrate, tested and played - BOTH in sync.
    Okay... so now what?
    Now we probably know what's causing it... but how to configure?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    AMP says: MCH PCM 5.1, fs 48 kHz, 1080p/24
    Log [MediaInfo] says 23.976 fps (same for GoT, Fargo, Arrested Development).
    Which is correct - 23.976 or 24?
    [edit: ...and does your TV really support 23.976 fps?]

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I only write what the amp say on the digital display when I press the display button... and that is all it says. Anyway to check on the TV what really shows up there?
    The tv is a LG55LM620T, how to check if it support 23.976? And what to do if not?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I only write what the amp say on the digital display when I press the display button.
    24 fps is much more common especially for movie content like The Hobbit and Fargo. So, what I'm saying is that I'm not convinced that the files are really 23.976 fps.
    What does VLC say in tools -> codec information?

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    arresteded.JPG
    fargo.JPG
    smaug.JPG
    [DOUBLEPOST=1405352299][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry about everything in post god doubled...

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    24 fps is much more common especially for movie content
    Have to disagree here. 23.976 is much more common then 24 FPS. I've seen tons of BD's and only a handful had a real 24 FPS bitrate, were >98% uses 23.976

The tv is a LG55LM620T, how to check if it support 23.976? And what to do if not?
    Page 46 of the manual (which looks perfect for all refresh rates):
    RefreshRates.JPG

Opened MePo config, disabled dynamic refreshrate, tested and played - BOTH in sync.
    Okay... so now what?
    Now we probably know what's causing it... but how to configure?
    I don't think it's the RefreshRate Changer, based on this:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom