AC3/DTS through spdif possible w/ analog through line-out? (1 Viewer)

hansdegit

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Schagen, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi All,

I've built a vga->SCART cable which also has the audio pins connected to the line-out of my HTPC. I wonder whether it is possible to output the sound of an AC3 or DTS stream to line-out (in stereo, of course) and simultaniously output this stream digitally to my receiver. Just like any ordinary DVD player is capable of.

My guess is that I need an extra tee-codec for this purpose, because -for example- AC3filter bypasses line-out when "spdif passthru" is checked.

Any suggestions?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah - don't use AC3Filter.
    Search the tips & tricks on how to do it with the Intervideo Audio decoder.

DMAN

hansdegit

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Schagen, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    DMAN,

Thx. Of course, I searched in this forum for a solution to this problem.

Ac3/DTS/DD through SPDIF is not the challenge. The magic word in my fisrt post was "simultaniously". That is: simultaniously output DTS/DD via spdif to receiver and stereo through line-out to TV.

It is not clear that the posts pertain to this issue. At least, not to me.

I a Dutch forum (got.tweakers.net) someone told me this was not possible due to a limitation in hardware. But I figured: why would an ordinary product like a standalone DVD player be capable of doing this while a sophisticated product like an HTPC can not?

I find this hard to believe.

denybear

Portal Member
    April 10, 2005
    Actually, I have exactly the same request. My PS2 outputs sound simultaneously through both SPDIF and Scart, and I don't understand why this is not possible with a HTPC...

Reason : use standard TV sound output for kiddies' Disneys, and use SPDIF and home cinema for when I watch "serious" movies... without having to tweak around through hundreds of menus and setups.

Does someone know how to do this (if possible) ?

kamrat

Portal Pro
    May 24, 2005
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have the same problem. When I watch a channel with AC3-audio I don't get any sound from my tv-set, only the reciever.

If hardware is limiting this possibility maybe the switching could be made easier in the software.

Maybe it could be possible to have the option to enable/disable SPDIF-out in the audio channel menu that appears when you right-click on the television image?
    It would also be nice if you could have a hotkey to do this. Let´s say the "A"-key toggles between SPDIF on/off.

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    hansdegit said:
    DMAN,

Thx. Of course, I searched in this forum for a solution to this problem.

Ac3/DTS/DD through SPDIF is not the challenge. The magic word in my fisrt post was "simultaniously". That is: simultaniously output DTS/DD via spdif to receiver and stereo through line-out to TV.

It is not clear that the posts pertain to this issue. At least, not to me.

I a Dutch forum (got.tweakers.net) someone told me this was not possible due to a limitation in hardware. But I figured: why would an ordinary product like a standalone DVD player be capable of doing this while a sophisticated product like an HTPC can not?

I find this hard to believe.

Yes I know what you meant and yes it works just fine here using the Intervideo codec.

DMAN

denybear

Portal Member
    April 10, 2005
    Thanks DMAN,
    But can you please be more precise ?

I've spent a couple of hours trying to configure the Intervideo codec, but I couldn't find out how you actually specify AC3 SPDIF + stereo.

What are your exact settings ?
    Thanks.

hansdegit

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Schagen, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just checkin' to see whether I understand all this.

We use the intervideo codec to send a stereo signal to line out, by means of a registry tweak.
    We use ffdshow to send the DTS to spdif.

right?

dman_lfc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 28, 2004
    UK
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No no no - use Intervideo Audio and SPDIF registry settings.
    Use Inetrvideo Audio codec for TV, DVD & Video's which have AC3.
    Throw FFDshow in the bin.

By default it will push sound via SPIF & Stereo jack.

i.e. On your external receiver choose the SPDIF input and you'll have DD sound - choose your Stereo input and you'll have stereo sound.

DMAN

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom