Accelerate playlist viewing (2 Viewers)

horned_reaper

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 7, 2011
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Would it be bad if those songs would be added to the database? At least subsequent opening of the playlist would be fast...
    Could however result in a very large database...
    Although all my music files are listed in the MP DB, the playlist viewing takes very long.

I'd suggest to generate and cache the view of the current playlist in the background for later viewing.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I'd suggest to generate and cache the view of the current playlist in the background for later viewing.
    It's complicated, let's say I have 10 playlists, plus I can create a dynamic one at any time and add or delete files from it, or recreate it at any time. Well, on startup the playlist is empty by default. And playlists are created in the background. The biggest problem here is Façade, it takes a long time to load long lists, it is noticeable in all plugins on long lists.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    To my knowledge the Facadeview doesn't support this.
    I don't think that Database queries or Tag reading is the issue. it is the renedering of this rather large data.

Maybe we would need a logic in handling the playlist, where we keep track of the position inisde the playlist and show only e.g. 100 songs at most.
    i just returned back home for a day and will be off another week, but i could have a look if this would be possible.
    Knowing the code, that grew historically, it might not be possible tough.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    o my knowledge te Facadeview doesn't support this.
    Well, how can I say, it works with the data that he gave the plugin. If the plugin will support pages, then the facade will support them, but give it the list, and that it outputs it paginated, then there is no such a thing. But on the other hand, if the list is already in the facade, it works with it very quickly. The longest operation is the generation of the list in the facade.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    A first check showed that it should be possible to dynamically load playlist data.
    So i could

1. load all the items in a playlist into the new playlist.
    2. Shuffle the playlist
    3. Feed the first 1000 items into the playlist player (with that most users would not even notice that there was a change)
    4. Whenever a song ends, i will feed the next song to the playlist player

with that the displayed playlist grows, but:

• you will not be able to search for a song, which is currently not displayed in the facade view
    • you will not be able to scroll / page down on tzhe last page to add other songs
    • ... other limitations may apply, which i will find out during changing the code

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom