[Pending] Add hyperlink parameter to TvPlugin to enhance menu options (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was hoping for the approval when setting 1.3 beta as target ;)
    Code changes are minimal and can be reviewed quick. I'll set it to another version when it gets postphoned - but by keeping it in line for 1.3 we won't forget about it.

I completely sympathise with you for doing it this way around. At least this way we get some action!

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks offbyone. I almost thought nobody was interested ;-)

As this is my first patch since a very long time I was not sure if everything was OK acc. to protocol.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

Only just seen this. I do like the idea, but I'm unlikely to see such threads unless I get a PM.

@mbuzina: is there a reason for using the channel name rather than ID as the parameter for identifying a channel? Two channels may have the same name, in which case the commands are ambiguous.

mm

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do tv channels have globally unique Ids? If not the skin would not be re-distributable then with channel IDs but with a Channel Name you can give the XML to your friend and it will work fine (If there are channels with the same name the user can and should remove those problems in the TV config I'd say).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do tv channels have globally unique Ids?
    For DVB channels, the combination of original network ID (ONID) + service ID (SID) is meant to be unique. In practice we find this is not the case. It requires name + ONID + SID to get a unique combination if you don't want to use the channel ID.
    Analog, ATSC and DVB-IP/IP-TV channels are different again.

If not the skin would not be re-distributable then with channel IDs but with a Channel Name you can give the XML to your friend and it will work fine (If there are channels with the same name the user can and should remove those problems in the TV config I'd say).
    This is a good point. For my part I was not and am not asking for the channel ID to be used instead of the name. I just think it is important to provide some way to unambiguously specify the channel that the link is pointing to.
    As you say, the name is more suitable for a skin designer or somebody who wants to share a customisation with a friend. However the channel ID might be necessary for somebody who wants to customise their own installation without restriction on how they name their channels.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    channel ids: I could have a look to provide the same functionality also for IDs, but I would not remove the name version, since I see 2 use cases:
    1. Hypderlink from a plugin to directly go to a given channel. Yes here we could use the unique ids as a parameter (I have to find the correct function to call, though).
    2. Hyperlink from a basic home menu, manually edited (or via menu editor). This would probably use the name parameter, as it is the user entering this (most often by hand).

Radio: You are right, this should be 1:1, I will see if I can have a look at it (probably not before next week).

Frank-NL

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 23, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would it be possible to directly link to the Planner as well?

Currently, I created hyperlinks to Recordings and Guide in submenus, and directly open TV fullscreen so when I stop TV, I get the TVHome page which I do not like, but to get to the Planner I still need the TVHome page - using this new option would not make it possible to navigate to the Planner anymore.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Based on the comments about missing stuff, I think that the correct thing to do is bump this from 1.3.0beta until the patch is complete.

This is no reflection on the feature or the patch, but it would be a shame to rush this into a release (yes, it should have been looked at sooner, so then we wouldn't be talking about rushing!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom