[Pending] - Add hyperlink parameter to TvPlugin to enhance menu options | Page 2

Discussion in 'Submit: code patches (MediaPortal/TV-Server/etc.)' started by mbuzina, February 28, 2012.

1. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    I completely sympathise with you for doing it this way around. At least this way we get some action!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. mbuzina
    • Premium Supporter

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Thanks offbyone. I almost thought nobody was interested ;-)

As this is my first patch since a very long time I was not sure if everything was OK acc. to protocol.

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

Only just seen this. I do like the idea, but I'm unlikely to see such threads unless I get a PM.

@mbuzina: is there a reason for using the channel name rather than ID as the parameter for identifying a channel? Two channels may have the same name, in which case the commands are ambiguous.

mm

5. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also, no support for radio?

6. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    I think both of these issues should be addressed.

7. offbyone
    • Team MediaPortal

offbyone Development Group

Ratings:
    +3,303 / 3
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Do tv channels have globally unique Ids? If not the skin would not be re-distributable then with channel IDs but with a Channel Name you can give the XML to your friend and it will work fine (If there are channels with the same name the user can and should remove those problems in the TV config I'd say).

• Like Like x 1
  8. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

Ratings:
    +8,205 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For DVB channels, the combination of original network ID (ONID) + service ID (SID) is meant to be unique. In practice we find this is not the case. It requires name + ONID + SID to get a unique combination if you don't want to use the channel ID.
    Analog, ATSC and DVB-IP/IP-TV channels are different again.

This is a good point. For my part I was not and am not asking for the channel ID to be used instead of the name. I just think it is important to provide some way to unambiguously specify the channel that the link is pointing to.
    As you say, the name is more suitable for a skin designer or somebody who wants to share a customisation with a friend. However the channel ID might be necessary for somebody who wants to customise their own installation without restriction on how they name their channels.

9. mbuzina
    • Premium Supporter

mbuzina Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +723 / 4
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    channel ids: I could have a look to provide the same functionality also for IDs, but I would not remove the name version, since I see 2 use cases:
    1. Hypderlink from a plugin to directly go to a given channel. Yes here we could use the unique ids as a parameter (I have to find the correct function to call, though).
    2. Hyperlink from a basic home menu, manually edited (or via menu editor). This would probably use the name parameter, as it is the user entering this (most often by hand).

Radio: You are right, this should be 1:1, I will see if I can have a look at it (probably not before next week).

• Like Like x 2
  10. Frank-NL
    • Premium Supporter

Frank-NL MP Donator

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Would it be possible to directly link to the Planner as well?

Currently, I created hyperlinks to Recordings and Guide in submenus, and directly open TV fullscreen so when I stop TV, I get the TVHome page which I do not like, but to get to the Planner I still need the TVHome page - using this new option would not make it possible to navigate to the Planner anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  11. elliottmc
    • Premium Supporter

elliottmc Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +5,503 / 13
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Based on the comments about missing stuff, I think that the correct thing to do is bump this from 1.3.0beta until the patch is complete.

This is no reflection on the feature or the patch, but it would be a shame to rush this into a release (yes, it should have been looked at sooner, so then we wouldn't be talking about rushing!).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!