Completed Added my setup to the wiki showroom (3 Viewers)

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sounds like exactly the system I am looking to build. Thanks for the detailed writeup!
How do you like that Zotac ZBox ID41?

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    @kiwijunglist - Cheers kiwi! ;) (Will do)

@CodeMonkey - The ID41. I like it. It is quiet and boots up quickly, although the time to load MP is around 40 seconds, after that it is fine. It has never crashed in the time I have had it. I do suspect that it is really on its limit with HD tv. I can received both terrestrial (DVB-T2) and satellite (DVB-S2) as HD channels at 1920x1080 - I don't know if it is progressive or interlaced, but it runs them fine with very few dropped frames. I have heard people say they are noisy, but the only time I have heard the fan is when it kicks in booting up; and the GF would be first to complain about noise as it would seem she can hear a mouse fart :rolleyes:

I would have thought that Zotac have brought out faster units now with more suitable graphics chips on board, but for me they work great. I use the MS DVD Codec that is included with Win7. I did try LAV, but just get a black screen with audio when using that codec. The audio is run from the TV via HDMI and again works great.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Have you ever tried the using the wireless N instead of the wired Ethernet, particularly HD content?
    Like you, running Ethernet in my house would be a VERY unpleasant job that I would like to avoid if possible :)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    I disabled the wireless as it seriously affected performance, so I haven't tried to overcome this. Wired Ethernet was quite an easy install. I built the house about 18 years ago so know how everything fits together.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    I disabled the wireless as it seriously affected performance, so I haven't tried to overcome this. Wired Ethernet was quite an easy install. I built the house about 18 years ago so know how everything fits together.
    I was afraid you were going to say that :). But thanks!

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was afraid you were going to say that :). But thanks!

Possible - Ethernet over Mains? - works well in my house and it's lower cost than a wiring job if, unlike CodeMonkey, you don't have the detailed knowledge of where everything goes - or the skill to build a house in 1st place (guess what I don't have the skill to do :sneaky: - it IS subject to exactly how you house is wired, location of sockets and electrical noise sources however:unsure:

Cheers - JCMP

Users who are viewing this thread