Advice Required: Building a new Freeview PC-PVR | Page 4

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by groovybaby, December 3, 2017.

1. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +960 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Very interesting -- thank you for that info. Methinks I must investigate "TvWishList" and see how it works with Schedules Direct. I believe that Schedules Direct offer a free one-week trial, so worth experimenting.

Recently there has been much anguish in the "Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards" thread, because changes to Sky TV mean that DJBlu's special version of MP (which extracts the series ids contained in the Sky EPG) no longer works. Schedules Direct might be a solution for them too (albeit at a small annual cost).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited: February 14, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wjw

wjw Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Home Country:
    @CyberSimian

Yes, Schedules Direct have a week free trial - give it go. You will need to spend time setting up both that and Wishlist - it is more time consuming initially than the Sky Series link ever was. But it's only once. Again, I have to offer that there are other EPG sources and grabbers.

TVWishlist isn't perfect, or course, few things are. You occasionally get duplicates - but I'd rather just delete something I don't want than miss it completely. For example (but this is rare) the series I set up years ago is called Last Man Standing and there is film with exactly that name that sometimes appears on Film 4 which gets recorded. Not really a major problem though since it - obviously - doesn't have either series of episode numbers associated with it so it doesn't prevent recordings of the "real" target of the wish.

I have posted in the other thread too

PS I remembered a problem I had when first going to Schedules Direct and got help from mm1352000. If you try this I strongly recommend you read this thread XMLTV Idiot's guide please....hoping there is one!!

Last edited: February 14, 2018
  4. groovybaby

groovybaby Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    The: TBS 6205 DVB-T2 DVB-C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card
    ...apparently doesn't come with a remote or directly support a remote, so...

How does a remote work with Mediaportal ?
    What hardware is required ?
    And does it need the Tuner Card's support ?

Thanks.

5. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +960 / 3
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    MediaPortal uses the same remote control as Windows Media Center (WMC). This is usually called an "MCE" remote, because WMC was originally sold as "Windows Media Center Edition" (a version of Windows XP). MCE remotes come in at least two variants:

(1) The variant that is easiest to use is one that is described as "MCE compatible" and "RC6". The "RC6" part is very important. Microsoft's own remote control (no longer available) was of this type.

(2) Variants that are more awkward to use are described as "MCE compatible", but are not "RC6". The Ortek VRC-1100 (also sold as the Hama 00052451) is of this type.

The remote control must be used with its own IR (infrared) receiver or RF (radio frequency) receiver. This is a small device that plugs into a USB socket (usually via a cable). To avoid mismatches, it is a good idea to buy a remote and receiver in a single package, then you can be sure that they will work with each other.

Also available are universal remote controls, such as the Logitech "Harmony" range, and the "One for All" range. These can be setup to transmit MCE signals, but they are not sold with an IR receiver, so that has to be purchased separately.

In the UK, Maplin used to sell several MCE remote controls, but I have just had a look on their web site and they no longer sell any MCE remotes. :eek:

The remote that I use is the Ortek/Hama, which can still be purchased new. There is an MP1 support pack that can be used to overcome some of the quirks of the Ortek/Hama. Note that this remote does not work with MP2. I actually use a Harmony 650 universal remote with the Ortek/Hama receiver, as the Harmony can be setup to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals. It is also possible to setup a One-for-All universal remote to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals, but it is more difficult -- you have to use some open-source freeware and (depending on model) a special cable. Both Harmony and One-for-All remotes can be setup easily to transmit MCE signals (but you still need to purchase the IR receiver).

Amazon seems quite sparse on MCE remotes, so I will suggest the Inteset remote, for which there is a separate Inteset IR receiver (so you need to purchase both).

It may be worthwhile looking on Ebay for an MCE/RC6 remote+receiver combination, depending on your willingness to accept "pre-loved" units. The Hewlett-Packard remotes and receivers are MCE/RC6, so they would be a good purchase if you can find them new.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited: February 16, 2018
  6. joecrow
    • Team MediaPortal

joecrow Test Group

Ratings:
    +1,183 / 2
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    I just wanted to add to CyberSimian's previous post that thanks to his work with an AutoHotkey script the Ortek/Hama remote functions superbly with MP 1.:)(y)(y)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!