Advice Required: Building a new Freeview PC-PVR (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I use Schedules Direct and this has comprehensive Series and Episode numbers
    Very interesting -- thank you for that info. Methinks I must investigate "TvWishList" and see how it works with Schedules Direct. I believe that Schedules Direct offer a free one-week trial, so worth experimenting.

Recently there has been much anguish in the "Custom Data Grabber with Sky EPG Grabber for 1.16 onwards" thread, because changes to Sky TV mean that DJBlu's special version of MP (which extracts the series ids contained in the Sky EPG) no longer works. Schedules Direct might be a solution for them too (albeit at a small annual cost).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian

Yes, Schedules Direct have a week free trial - give it go. You will need to spend time setting up both that and Wishlist - it is more time consuming initially than the Sky Series link ever was. But it's only once. Again, I have to offer that there are other EPG sources and grabbers.

TVWishlist isn't perfect, or course, few things are. You occasionally get duplicates - but I'd rather just delete something I don't want than miss it completely. For example (but this is rare) the series I set up years ago is called Last Man Standing and there is film with exactly that name that sometimes appears on Film 4 which gets recorded. Not really a major problem though since it - obviously - doesn't have either series of episode numbers associated with it so it doesn't prevent recordings of the "real" target of the wish.

I have posted in the other thread too

PS I remembered a problem I had when first going to Schedules Direct and got help from mm1352000. If you try this I strongly recommend you read this thread XMLTV Idiot's guide please....hoping there is one!!

Last edited:

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    The: TBS 6205 DVB-T2 DVB-C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card
    ...apparently doesn't come with a remote or directly support a remote, so...

How does a remote work with Mediaportal ?
    What hardware is required ?
    And does it need the Tuner Card's support ?

Thanks.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    How does a remote work with Mediaportal ?
    MediaPortal uses the same remote control as Windows Media Center (WMC). This is usually called an "MCE" remote, because WMC was originally sold as "Windows Media Center Edition" (a version of Windows XP). MCE remotes come in at least two variants:

(1) The variant that is easiest to use is one that is described as "MCE compatible" and "RC6". The "RC6" part is very important. Microsoft's own remote control (no longer available) was of this type.

(2) Variants that are more awkward to use are described as "MCE compatible", but are not "RC6". The Ortek VRC-1100 (also sold as the Hama 00052451) is of this type.

The remote control must be used with its own IR (infrared) receiver or RF (radio frequency) receiver. This is a small device that plugs into a USB socket (usually via a cable). To avoid mismatches, it is a good idea to buy a remote and receiver in a single package, then you can be sure that they will work with each other.

Also available are universal remote controls, such as the Logitech "Harmony" range, and the "One for All" range. These can be setup to transmit MCE signals, but they are not sold with an IR receiver, so that has to be purchased separately.

In the UK, Maplin used to sell several MCE remote controls, but I have just had a look on their web site and they no longer sell any MCE remotes. :eek:

The remote that I use is the Ortek/Hama, which can still be purchased new. There is an MP1 support pack that can be used to overcome some of the quirks of the Ortek/Hama. Note that this remote does not work with MP2. I actually use a Harmony 650 universal remote with the Ortek/Hama receiver, as the Harmony can be setup to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals. It is also possible to setup a One-for-All universal remote to transmit the Ortek/Hama signals, but it is more difficult -- you have to use some open-source freeware and (depending on model) a special cable. Both Harmony and One-for-All remotes can be setup easily to transmit MCE signals (but you still need to purchase the IR receiver).

Amazon seems quite sparse on MCE remotes, so I will suggest the Inteset remote, for which there is a separate Inteset IR receiver (so you need to purchase both).

It may be worthwhile looking on Ebay for an MCE/RC6 remote+receiver combination, depending on your willingness to accept "pre-loved" units. The Hewlett-Packard remotes and receivers are MCE/RC6, so they would be a good purchase if you can find them new.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just wanted to add to CyberSimian's previous post that thanks to his work with an AutoHotkey script the Ortek/Hama remote functions superbly with MP 1.:)(y)(y)

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Hi
    First: I'd like to thank everyone for their much earlier input.

It's been sometime since I started this post,
    but I've been trying to plan a decent system to replace my two proprietary PVR's,
    but life just keeps getting in the way.

But now one of my PVR's has gone faulty and may not be worth repairing,
    and I fear that the other may shortly go the same way.
    So I need to create a new HTPC to replace them, ASAP.

But as a very temporary measure, for just a few weeks:
    I was thinking of using my regular PC, and was wondering if anyone could foresee any major pitfalls?

My current PC should be more than adequate as it has the:
    Intel Core i5 8600K Unlocked Coffee Lake Desktop Processor

And the tuner card (that I bought ages ago) is the:
    TBS 6205 DVB-T2 DVB-C Quad TV Tuner PCIe Card

Also, can you point me to any info that will enable me to install everything as painlessly as possible.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Hi

OS & version - assume W10 and recent, so you MAY have to install .Net 3.5 [even tough you will also have newer version] for MePo 1.25, not sure if it's a fixed requirement for 2.2.3.

Platform - sounds more than capable BUT consider what else you have running on it at same time.

Drives - recommend solid state for TV tuner time shift and probably recording, rest, depends on what you have really, spinning rust is perfectly acceptable:cool:

Tuners - outside of my knowledge but MePo support in Tuner space is excellent.

MePo version - 1.25 or 2..2.3 - down to need and taste. Personally - MePo Version 1 with MP-TV Series and MovingPictures plugins [sorry, but MP2 just lacks fine control & tailoring of content at present], but if need/want Multi-client, value picture-in-picture [which as you have a lot of tuner options may well be critical], then MP2 is for you.

You can install both but not sure if any risk of clash [on install] from the TV-Server side - you cannot USE both at the same time, as the TV_Server engines cannot both run at same time [quite rightly so], but it would allow you to try both.

Would suggest IF you have a large media only allow MePo [either version] to catalogue a subsection to start with as that can take a long time to complete, so if you decided not to use a given version it's not so great a loss.

Finally - either version, forum support to help is excellent.

Hope that's of some value.

TTFN - JCMP

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    I would just comment that to "..... install everything as painlessly as possible." just stick with the standard installed skin included in the install kit (it's called Default Wide). I've never seen the need to use anything else, but my use of MP1 is pretty much exclusively for live/recorded TV plus home videos.

I would just get everything installed and working as you want before exploring alternative skins.

groovybaby

Portal Pro
    December 3, 2017
    Home Country
    Install Help Please: RSVP

OK: I've finally repaired my previous mobo, and I've now got a working W10 64bit PC, dedicated for my new HTPC.

Now I've read the pages that tell me what to do to prepare my PC, and those that keep telling me how easy it is to install, (eg: Installing MediaPortal + Installer - Deploy Tool etc)
    but they seem to go round & round incircles, without giving any exact install info.

So I've downloaded: MediaPortal 2 / 2.3 Release
    Not sure if this is the best but I have to start somewhere or I'll never start!

Then I unzipped the file I've just downloaded, eg: MediaPortal2_2.3.zip
    ...which contains these 2 files: MP2-Setup.exe / MP2-Setup-Logging.bat

Then I double clicked its .exe file: MP2-setup.exe
    This installed something, and resulted in these 5 icons on my desktop, eg:
    MediaPortal 2
    MediaPortal 2 (x64)
    MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration
    MediaPortal 2 ServiceMonitor
    MediaPortal 2 LogCollector

So what do I do now?
    During the above install, I was expecting to see the options mentioned on the above info page, eg: Installer - Deploy Tool

I wish to install a stand-alone system capable of everything. eg, TV etc, including remote.

Many thanks.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Install looks OK.
    First thing to do is open MediaPortal 2 TV Configuration and scan for TV channels on your tuner card (is it still the TBS quad) as shown here, note that assumes you clicked on the button Server/Client on the install! Then continue to follow the guide for setting up an EPG. Once you have got the TV channels scanned and EPG setup you should be able to run MP 2 (x64 in your case but both will work) and test the TV playback (navigate with KB), then you can go to settings, cog symbol at top of page (default Nereus skin), and set up everything else from there, including your remote ("Input Devices").

Update for the EPG assuming you will be receiving DVBT OTA broadcasts, I would recommend starting with the DVB.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom