Aeon Menu Generator (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I see a lot of posts from people tripping up on the absolute path vs. relative path problem when specifying where the images are. It might be a good idea to either:
    - put some text immediately below the field explaining it, something like "must be a directory below c:\program files\team media portal\media portal\blah blah...." OR
    - validate the path entered and display an error if it's not right

It would save repeated explanations here and in other threads, as well as those confused people!

JockeGbg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Have a wierd problem with the menu generator.

I messed up my Aeon menus so I decided to start from scratch.

1. Completely deleted the Aeon Wide folder in MP

2. Deleted my Cache-folder

3. Downloaded and installed a fresh Aeon Wide 1.3 skin.

But when I start up MP my old menu created with the menu generator still shows up! Why??? Where does it came from???

If I load basichome.xml in the menu generator it shows the "original" unedited menu. But when starting MP my modified menu shows.

How can I get rid of my modified menu? Why is it still there when I completely deleted the Aeon wide folder???

JockeGbg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I deleted C:\Program Files\Team mediaportal\Skins\Aeon wide

I´ve now tried to delete it several times and also the cache-folder. After that a fresh install of the Aeon skin. Loading the basichome in the generator and deleted everything but music (for testing), generated a new basichome without doing a backup.

Started MP and there it is............my old basichome menu! :-(

I've also ran CCleaner to clean my system and registry from any leftovers, temp-files etc.

Something really wierd is going on here......

Spooky!!

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    1) Check in configuration.exe what skin you are starting.
    2) Make sure you only have ONE version of MP installed..

There is just no way your old menu can be loaded if you have replaced the basichome.xml with a new one. The only sollution I can think of is that you are starting another version of MP, or another skin then the one you deleted/replaced.

3) And of course the obvious one, you aren't clearing the cache properly.. But thats to obvious? Download a fresh version of aeon wide, name the folder "aeon wide123" (or something unique), enter configuration and change the skin to "aeon wide123". If it doesnt show up in the list you probably have 2 different MP installations, if it shows up, select it and start MP. Now there is NO way your old basichome is there.

Good luck^^

JockeGbg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    There is something with my program location. It sometimes looks like I have installed MP to both

C:\Program Files (English location)
    C:\Program (Swedish location)

But when I open C:\ I can only see C:\Program. There is no folder called "Program Files"

I even did a complete uninstall of MP and after that did a search för "Mediaportal" in the windows registry. There I found many things, sometimes with the location "Program Files" and sometimes only "Program".

I deleted everything I could find about "Mediaportal" in the windows registry and rebooted my Pc. After that did a clean install of both Mediaportal RC3 and Aeon Wide 1.3.

Started MP and STILL....there is my very old basichome-menu!

I have now uninstalled MP 2 times and tried to reinstall first to C:\Program Files and then to C:\Program. Even if I install to C:\Program Files there is no such folder in C:\. There I can only see C:\Program

The result is the same. I can only get my old basichome to show up when I start MP.

This is crazy. Desperately thinking of doing a format on C:, but I wouldn't be suprised if my menu is still there after a format....

Maybe my Vista installation is messed up in any way? I have an English version of Vista but I have installed all my programs to the default Swedish location C:\Program. Vista seems to be a little confused about that.

But after all there is nothing wrong with the menu generator so maybe this discussion should be in another forum.....

[EDIT]I tried your suggestion to rename Aeon skin-folder to "Aeon Wide123" and that was working! No more old basichome. But if I rename that same folder back to "Aeon Wide" the old menu is back!

MP must get the "Aeon Wide" folder from some other location in my pc? I will do a search for Aeon on my system and see what I find.

Yabba

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I'm not using Vista currently but I think "Program files" is a kind of "alias" to whatever your localised folder is called. I mean, in Spanish it's called "Archivos de programa", but you can refer to it as both "Archivos de programa" OR "Program files". So you don't have MP installed to 2 different locations, it's the same location with interchangeable names. No need to reformat as it's a normal behaviour in that OS, I think...

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you fixed it by renaming the folder, then its the cache thats not cleared correctly.
    Out of curiousity; whats the location of cache folder you are deleting? I think it should be "c:\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\cache" in vista.

Oh, and btw you are suppose to delete the "cache\aeon wide" folder, not the cache folder itself. No need to clear out all the cached skins just to reset one skin.

JockeGbg

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 28, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yes the cache i deleted is located in C:\programdata\team mediaportal\mediaportal\cache

I have never seen a Aeon Wide-folder in the cache but I deleted the whole team-mediaportal-folder under C:\programdata before I reinstalled MP so it should be gone?

Now with the skin named to "Aeon Wide123" everything works and I can load it in the menu generator and modify it. But as soon as I rename the same folder to "Aeon Wide" MP shows a different menu. MP must be loading another basichome.xml than the one in the Aeon Wide folder. Very strange.....

Could the Aeon Wide cache folder somehow be located in a different place????

I will do a search för basichome.xml and see how many there is in my pc.

[EDIT] Yes finally I found something!

I found a "secret" Aeon Wide folder that messed up my configuration. :)

C:\Users\Jocke\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\Aeon wide

In this folder my old basichome was "hiding".......

What is this??? There were several folders in that Mediaportal-location. So if I use "Aeon Wide" skin in the configuration it picks the basichome.xml from this location instead of C:\Program Files\Team mediaportal\Skins\Aeon wide

If I only knew why??

There were also many other programs in my system using this "VirtualStore"-location.

C:\Users\Jocke\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files

Never seen this before. :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom