MP2 - V2.4 Alexa Voice-Control for MP2 (2 Viewers)

offbyone

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 26, 2008
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For now I went ahead and implemented the MP2 Plugin ;) (Attached Zip)
    You need to go into Settings in MP2 and log in to the Amazon Account (as you did from MP1 Config.)
    Currently there is only 1 active/linked device per user supported. So the login from MP2 will invalidate the one from MP1.

The PLAY command is not working really good, I know. This is because Alexa is working a bit contextual - meaning once you PAUSED playback, Alexa knows that it can resume on MediaPortal. So now you can use very short commands. A simple: "Alexa, Play" should work after having paused. You can also ask her to PAUSE while paused, and it will resume playback, because I simple toggle in the code ;)

I also implemented Seek and Skip forward/backward and Volume Up/Down and Mute.
    While watching TV, you should also be able to change channel by name. "Alexa change the TV channel to ZDF on MediaPortal". (Not sure I did it correct on MP2 - could not test).

There are more features we could implement. Like Navigation Control, as you can see in the Kodi Video posted by Lehmden. (Up,Down,Back, Enter or so).

Amazon just published my skill:

Official download area of the Alexa plugin with configuration instructions:
    Alexa

Attachments

• Alexa.zip
      23 KB
    Last edited by a moderator:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It works great so far (y)
    There were just a few issues during set-up:
    • I had to manually remove the previously added "MediaPortal" device at first, otherwise the new device can not be found
    • The login window for linking the amazon profile is always opening behind the MediaPortal 2 client, in full screen and windowed mode
    • While typing my password, MediaPortal 2 always toggles to Fullscreen and hindes the dialog again :rolleyes: The reason is, that my password contains a "f" (not so secret, because it has 16 signs anyway ;)). This is a MediaPortal 2 issue fixed in WIP2.4 already I think, for testing I used by regular MP2.3 installation.
    Voice control works well:
    • As you mentioned "play" while paused works only with "Alexa, play" (no "on MediaPortal" allowed)
    • TV channels can be surprisingly even changed with "Alexa, change channel to ARD" (no "on MediaPortal" needed)
    • Volume control works well. It would be just nice, if the volume bar can shortly pop up, when volume is changed by voice to see the current volume status. But this is a MediaPortal 2 issue and not related to the skill
    Navigation Control would be of course perfect, at least the basics:
    • Back
    • Home
    • OK/Enter
    • Up/Down/Right/Left
    Nice to have, but probably more difficult are Direct Navigation Controls
    • Alexa, go to movies
    • Alexa, go to series
    • Alexa, go to TV

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It would be just nice, if the volume bar can shortly pop up, when volume is changed by voice to see the current volume status. But this is a MediaPortal 2 issue and not related to the skill
    Hmm, I've no idea why the superlayer doesn't pop up. It might be, that the alexa plugin "inserts" commands differently, but normaly with any volume change the volume superlayer should pop up from my understanding.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    +1 interest for Alexa support with MP2. Happily will follow this thread :D
    Me and my family have also no interest in MP1 because of too many usability and concept issues.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Will you add the plug-in also to the download section? I didn't find it there, so I guess the version attached here is something like a test or beta version. I could make it work, but sometimes Alexa needs quite specific instructions I could only find out with try and error :) I think it would be good to summarize all possible German and English commands here. I can also support with it.
    Additionally the amazon page talks only about MP1. For those who didn't see this thread it might be a bit confusing. Would be good also to mention MP2.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Will you add the plug-in also to the download section?
    @offbyone might have planned that, but with his permission I could also arrange it, so he won't have to deal with the formal stuff :)

I think it would be good to summarize all possible German and English commands here. I can also support with it.
    I started to summarize commands, for "mute" I could not find the german command yet. I might post my summary here later and others can help filling the gaps or extending the list.

Additionally the amazon page talks only about MP1. For those who didn't see this thread it might be a bit confusing. Would be good also to mention MP2.
    There is one review if the skill on the amazon page asking same, guess who wrote it it ;) I think it's just a first shot of the plugin and not the final version, so also the skill description might be updated later.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @offbyone no replies from your side? I see same in other threads and I'm little puzzled, because you are part of the development team :confused:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Attached my first draft version for speach commands. Please feel free to extend :)

1635680080020.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom