All files on one server (1 Viewer)

bcj

March 9, 2006
Norway
Hello, I'm new on MediaPortal.

I want to setup a fileserver to take care of all my files.
And I want to have several MediaPortal computers around in my house.

I want to use all the files on the server on the "clients"
and I want all the MediaPortal "clients" to recording all TV programs
directly to the fileserver.

Is that possible?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    bcj said:
    Hello, I'm new on MediaPortal.

I want to setup a fileserver to take care of all my files.
    And I want to have several MediaPortal computers around in my house.
    Yes, absolutely! Just use windows folder shares and it will work just fine.

bcj said:
    I want to use all the files on the server on the "clients"
    and I want all the MediaPortal "clients" to recording all TV programs
    directly to the fileserver.

Is that possible?
    Yes, it is possible. However, only the client that originally recorded the program will have the relevant Database entries. All other clients would have to watch the file directly, eg. launch the recording from within myVideos. That is, unless someone writes a little program that would handle central database storage.

Hope this helps
    Inker

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Technically it would be possible but you would need a TV card for each Client computer, and then save the recordings on your "Server". The only problem is each computer would have it's own database.

MP is not setup in a Server/Client manner as of yet.

bcj

March 9, 2006
    Norway
    OK.

I will make all the clients 100% with video-card, keyborads etc.
    So it's a complete "MultimediaCenter".

I think lots of people are interesting in this system.
    If someone are going to make a project on server/client I can
    help with testing.

tasty carp

Portal Member
    February 18, 2006
    Was thinking along the same lines but I was thinking I would setup the server as the "master" that recorded everything with the "slave" unit being a lower spec machine on my main telly only there to view the programs stored on the server...the "slave" unit may not even get a tv card.

Havent tested this but was thinking there would be no need to sync database like this and I would just watch from my videos, but would be interested if something like this came up.

RoyN

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2006
    Im tinking of doing the same thing...

In my case I wanted to put some dreambox sat recievers in the main cabinet, and stream tv to the other locations as well as have video and audio stored always on the main server, being accessed from other rooms...

Also, when ripping a CD I wanted to have it stored in the same central server being then available to the other units...

Finally, I would like to have digital audio and video to every tv... I guess MP can already do all of this, except the dreambox part... I have seen some plugins discussed for this and I'll try it out once I get my dreambox - however, since the plugins havent been release I will have to try and make one, but I need to checkout how the DB works afterall...

I thik this is a very nice implementation as it will allow users to have only 1 network connection in each room, no need for a cable reciever in each room... also, 5 tv recievers could be shared by 10 rooms, for example...

smande00

Portal Member
    March 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    I just recently installed MediaPortal and would like to accomplish the same exact thing (multiple "thin" clients and a single "master" with a tv capture card). I took a VERY quick look at the database source code in CVS and offhand I think this could be implemented by sharing out a single directory on a "server" that contains the db files. Then an additional configuration variable would need to be added to point to the central database location.

This would have the effect of enabling all MediaPortal machines on your network to access and update a single "database", which is much simpler, in my opinion, than trying to synchronize multiple machines whenever new media is added to your library.

As a disclaimer it should be noted that I've never developed with SQL Lite before and I can't say if it will support data access over a network share. Can anyone more familiar with the code and SQL Lite comment on the feasability of this approach? Otherwise, I'll try and play with it a little this weekend and post my results.

RoyN

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2006
    Hey m8,

I would really appreciate your efforts... I cant see why it wouldnt work... It would be nice to be able to configure the path to the databases, such as \\server\share\folder\ or at least a "local path" (which I imagine should be able to handle a network mapped drive without trouble)...

This should make it much easier for users of distributed systems to add media, do IMDB searches, etc...

if this doesnt work out I was going to investigate some way of mirroring the DB on all machines, but that could lead to problems, and wouldnt be as nice as being able to have ALL locations reading and writing to a same DB...

One thing that needs to be cleared is whether sqlite has any protections in place for this kind of multi-user stuff, I guess it should have, at least basic protection...

Please try it out and then if it works contribute it to CVS! :)

ps. if you need testing help shoot me up a private message, id love to help you out

smande00

Portal Member
    March 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Well good news, I just ran an initial test and was able to connect to and view movies in a network shared sql lite database. Also, the SQL Lite homepage claims that it supports ACID transactions so concurrent access to the database shouldn't be an issue either.

I'll keep posting as my progress continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom