Allow MediaPortal to be installed on windows 10 Technical Preview (1 Viewer)

Shadowless

Portal Member
January 19, 2009
Home Country
Mouse Control seems to be fine at the moment, not sure why it was laggy, could have something to do with what I was running at the time. I think I meant to say it wa sa bit laggy but didn't come out right.

The Clock in Media Portal doesn't work unless you restart it to get correct time. It stopped at some point while I was watching TV, and then watched a few dvds, and the time stamp didn't move. So that's one issue that's popped up. :)

Everything else works fine (so far) :p

Last edited:

DavidW

October 3, 2014
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Successfully installed this new build in place of the patch posted by Galaphile. Installation went smoothly without any errors and everything working fine - including the Clock (so far). Thanks for this quick update - Win 10 definitely an improvement over Win 7 that I used to run on this laptop. :)

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I did an upgrade install in windows technical preview x86 over windows 7 on an ancient (2001) laptop. The technical preview ran, but had terrible video performance. So I modded an old Vista driver so that it would install, and give me similar video performance as when the machine was running win 7.

Hence, for everything that follows, I am running win technical preview with a modded graphics driver. (recipe for disaster ...)

The originally installed MP 1.7 would not start. I then did an upgrade install of the patched version of 1.9. Received an error that the database was NOT successfully upgraded.

Tried to run MP 1.9. Came up successfully, but would not play videos (error message saying video could not be played). Encountered BSODs while navigating. BSODs came seem to be related to graphics card driver /service.

A lttle investigation showed that the LAV filters had not been registered. I manually downloaded and installed the LAV 0.63 filters.

Videos now play. However, still getting BSODs occasionally while navigating (not watching videos). Applied registry patch for Video_TDR errors and things seem to work.....

For me, possible open questions

1. why did the database fail to upgrade,
    2. why did the LAV filters fail to register?

Great work to the MP team!

Mark

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think we shouldn't use your system as a reference when i read what you need to modify to get the Preview running (but still with issues), but in regards to your questions:
    1. why did the database fail to upgrade,
    More users have reported issues with this, and the upgrade path will be reverted from our installer(s) as of 1.10 Pre Release. Our Wiki describes how to use MySQL 5.6 with a manual install.

2. why did the LAV filters fail to register?
    No idea, system logs might give you more info i assume.

For everybody else that installed this, and hopefully have been using it: all good so far?

T

tekguru

Guys thought it might be worth adding to this thread. I was running the new 1.10 build of Mediaportal and made the mistake on performing an upgrade of the preview to build 9879, within minutes I was getting blue screens of death with KS.SYS being referenced.

In the end I ended up reinstalling build 9879 with a fresh install and all was good - PC finally built and stable. Then I came to install my last app - MediaPortal 1.10 - and yet again BSOD time and another fresh install of Win 10 preview. This tiem I'm leaving MP off until wiser and braver folks than me can work out what the issue is :)

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    if the client application such as MP can crash the OS to BSOD, then it just a reminder that OS itself is a preview, so OS itself or drivers need to be fixed. thare is no way to force system to get BSOD except writing device driver, and MP isn't a device driver :)

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    .... upgrade of the preview to build 9879, within minutes I was getting blue screens of death with KS.SYS being referenced.

In the end I ended up reinstalling build 9879 with a fresh install and all was good - PC finally built and stable. Then I came to install my last app - MediaPortal 1.10 - and yet again BSOD time and another fresh install of Win 10 preview. This tiem I'm leaving MP off until wiser and braver folks than me can work out what the issue is :)

I have not yet received 9879, but based on my experience with 9860 and 9841, there seems to be some system bus level driver issues on some hardware.

I am running on an old laptop and a Hypervisor VM on Modern hardware. In the VM, both versions and the upgrade run flawlessly. On the laptop, 9841 ran ok (including MP). After the upgrade, I got BSODs all over the place. Fresh install of 9860 on the laptop and the BSODs mostly went away, but the computer suffers from hardware waits and locks to the point that it is virtually unusable.

ks.sys is a kernel module that will crash when there is an i/o driver issue or conflict. I would guess that this may be a microsoft or driver issue and not a MP issue.

T

tekguru

IT may be a kernal driver issue but it does not occur until MP is installed so something in here is causing the issue, maybe one of the third party addins?

So far the new install without MP has been rock solid but it does suffer from occasional waits which render it useless. I had to use the command line to shut it down last night.

The prior build was great but this one has me considering going back to Win 8 Pro...

mtp3

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I am just installing the new build now - i'll see if it is any better than 9860...

Also, I think the problem might be with hardware acceleration for video. On my laptop, bare metal, enabling hardware acceration for flash video causes a bsod. In the VM everything, including MP, works

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom