Almost ready to build HTPC - Input anyone? (1 Viewer)

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've been thinking of only using 1 WD5000KS as the OS and data drive after talking to folks on the mediaportal IRC channel.

Since I only have 1 DirecTV HD receiver, I've also been thinking I have no benefit of a DualTV or PRV-500-MCE card. The PVR-250 looks like it will service my needs since I have no intention of getting cable any time soon or recording analog TV.

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Watch out for the spinpoints they run really hot, I have two both of them are about to have coolers attached, My HTPC is in the basement so the noise factor isn't an issue, but if you're making a living room setup you may want to reconsider these drives.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Efros said:
    Watch out for the spinpoints they run really hot, I have two both of them are about to have coolers attached, My HTPC is in the basement so the noise factor isn't an issue, but if you're making a living room setup you may want to reconsider these drives.

I had heard that the Samsung SpinPoint T133 (300Gig) drive was suppose to run quiet AND cool.

Where did you hear that it ran hot? I was going to get myself one.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Don't rely on temps given by applications - read reviews etc.

WD250-16MB/SATA300 (for instance) is reporting to high temps.

natrlhy: Thx - nice to be able to help...

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    mzemina said:
    Efros said:

I had heard that the Samsung SpinPoint T133 (300Gig) drive was suppose to run quiet AND cool.

Where did you hear that it ran hot? I was going to get myself one.

didn't hear it mike I can feel it!, drive is hot to touch, almost too hot.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Sounds like I'll be steering clear of the Spinpoints then... I guess they are quiet, but they run hot...

So it's down to the WD5000KS then. Others have said that the Seagate 7200.9 and .10 SATA II drives are loud.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    So I've narrowed down my selection for a TV Capture card once again:

Hauppauge PVR-250
    Nvidia DualTV (I like the output reviewed at HTPCnews.com. Very vivid and punchy)
    AverMedia Purity 3D MCE 250

Any preferences here?

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    After receiving input from another member they are suggesting to ditch the VFD and go with the Silverstone LC17. I really don't mind this since I read good things about the LC17. I'll be posting an updated build list soon.

Also on another board, someone suggested that I check to make sure my plasma can be connected to my PC with the DVI to HDMI port. This freaked me out at first since I just assumed it would work.

I connected an old PC with a Radeon 9200 card and it wasn't working. I then connected my main system with an Nvidia Ti 4200 card and I was able to see the system post and boot over the DVI-HDMI cable. So it turns out my 1110HD plasma CAN be connected to a PC through one of it's HDMI ports. There were overscan issues when connected to my Nvidia card, but this can be adjusted with the Nvidia tools.

I'd suggest other users check this before buying their HTPC setups (unlike me!)

I haven't bought my components yet cuz I'm so indecisive... Altough I did finally buy the Vbox DTA-150 (it's been out of stock everywhere but J&R has it now for $65).

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Must admit to being a fan of AKASA (pun not intended) range of fans.

have three in mine for main ventilation and do not hear them (from a distance of 2 metre's. But they are the 120mm version and they are temperature controlled for speed (another advantage for a big case)
    Just not as cool as a nice SKY+ type unit. but i can fix it. :D

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    Since I've changed my case to the LC17 and it doesn't come with a remote, what are my options for a good remote that is very compatible with MediaPortal?

I've read that the Microsoft MCE remote is pretty compatible.

Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom