Almost ready to build HTPC - Input anyone? (1 Viewer)

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I posted this on 8/18/06, but due to the maintenance on the forums some posts were not able to be imported. Here it is again:

A HUGE thank you to everyone that assisted me in my HTPC hardware selection!

As of today (8/18/06) I have officially purchased all of these items. As a note for other buyers interested, I paid a final price of $1,478.27 USD (that includes tax and shipping).

My budget started at $1,000 but I began to realize that it needed to be $1,500 in order to include a good case and power supply, the tax and shipping.

THANKS EVERYONE! I will post pics of my build in a new thread.

HTPC Build Specs:
    Final total: $1478.27 USD (includes shipping and tax)
    PURCHASED!!!
    Green = Already own

Software: MediaPortal 0.2.0.4
    Case: Silverstone Lascala LC17
    CPU: AMD Athlon 3800+ 64 X2 Dual-Core
    DVD R/W: LG GSA-H10N
    Floppy Drive: NONE
    Hard Drive: Western Digital WD5000KS 500GB SATA II (smaller OS partition, 2nd partition 64K clusters)
    Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 800
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E
    Remote: Microsoft MCE remote (comes with Nvidia DualTV card)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V (The MSI 7600GT recommends 400W minimum)
    Keyboard: At a later time
    Mouse: At a later time
    Sound Card: Onboard
    Video Card: MSI Geforce 7600GT (NX7600GT-VT2D256EHD)
    TV Capture Card: Nvidia DualTV MCE
    HD Capture Card: Vbox Cat's Eye DTA-150
    DVI-HDMI Cable: 10 ft. DVI to HDMI cable
    CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 (Cheaper than Zalman 8000 and cools just as good)

TV: Pioneer 50" Plasma PRO-1110HD
    Satellite Box: DirecTV HTL-HD Receiver
    Remote: Sony RM-AV3000

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    I'm sure I could figure this one out but I'm feeling dorky :)

I've received MOST of my hardware. The case will be delivered today, the Vbox 150 tomorrow, and the NVidia DualTV card on Saturday.

A horrible order for things to come in since I won't be able to record most shows without the NVidia DualTV card.

Should I:

A. Wait to fully build the system until I get ALL the hardware, then do everything.

B. Get the OS, etc patched WITHOUT installing the two Capture cards and wait to configure MP when I have both cards.

C. Stop being a dork :D

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2005
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    im the knid of person that would build the computer now and get xp installed ect

and technicaly your not suposed to put the tv cards in your computer untill xp is installed as there can be problems with drivers.

but really its up to you

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    On my drive home I decided I'm gonna get all the base stuff installed and make sure I can get everything configured to work outside of MP and the cards that I won't have.

I'm still waiting for UPS to deliver the case, so I'm helpless until then ;)

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2005
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    when i first built my HTPC i didnt have a case

i built it in a cardboard box

but my htcp only cost £100 then and i burnt my fingers on the heatsink so i wouldnt recomend it.

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    :mad: I can't belive it...

I fired up my HTPC I just built. It saw all the memory, CPU, etc. I could see all this on my plasma...

Before I did anything, I went to Asus' website, got the latest BIOS for the M2N-E, put it on a USB flash drive, updated it and now...

NOTHING! :mad: No POST, nothing. The fans turn for 5 seconds, then the whole system just powers off. I can't even try and re-flash the BIOS chip.

I was THAT close to getting the rest started. So frustrating... Asus has to send me a new BIOS chip now...

Sure does suck.. No more BIOS updates for me!

gdp

Portal Member
    August 20, 2005
    From the Asus website, about your m/b:

" ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
    The ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3 allows users to restore corrupted BIOS data from a USB flash disk containing the BIOS file. This utility saves users the cost and hassle of buying a replacement BIOS chip. "

So, I think there is surely a way to fix your board by yourself...

natrlhy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 2, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Home Country
    That's the method I used... :) the USB flash drive had the 0304.BIN file on it, I selected it, it updated then it won't post now. $5 to ship a new one so I can't complain too much. Asus said the BIOS updates are "at your own risk". I hope to get it today or tomorrow.

EDIT:

Well ain't that somethin'! Now they don't even HAVE the 0304 BIOS update on their support site.. Only has 0203 now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom