AMD e-350 For client and server (1 Viewer)

fyx

Portal Member
March 28, 2006
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi fyx,
I work with the E-450 platform including DVB-C HDTV, Blu-Ray and a PicoPSU plus external power brick. However, I also wait on the "next Step" especially in terms of CPU-power. As of today, AMD made their new lines of low energy consumption processors, the A & E-Series Kabini and Temash APUs available. Perhaps the A4-5000 (TDP 15W) or the A6-5200 (TDP 25W) may bring a boost in combination with an energy efficient motherboard.

Totally,
I have just been doing a good bit of reading on them, the A4-5000 sounds like it might be the best fit for power consumption (but the A4-5200 would be ok as well with my current plan to either use the same power or less). Might have to wait a few months before they are available but that works ok with my upgrade path for the 2nd half of this year. The new atom's look to be too far out at this stage to catch my eye which is a shame. Not to worry, the e350 has been a great low power setup thus far.

Topi

Portal Member
October 26, 2012
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Some advice from me:
You can get a way faster micro-ATX or micro-ITX HTPC for a similar price by using the following

• AMD A6-5400K CPU
  • Cheapest mATX or mITX FM2 Motherboard (eg. asrock a75)
  • Cheapest 2x2GB DDR3 1600/1866 or 1x4GB DDR3 1600/1866 (eg. kingston or patriot)
Thanks kiwijunglist for the advice with AMD A6-5400K CPU which seems to be a good value, though it is a really powerful CPU/iGPU. However, when it comes to passive cooling, AMD A6-5400K (TDP 65W) compared to AMD E-350 (TDP 18W), AMD A4-5000 (TDP 15W) or the AMD A6-5200 (TDP 25W) seems to be tricky to cope with the thermal output.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes those new CPUs will be great for small form factor htpc once they are widely available and the price has stabilised. You could easily run them passive in a low airflow case. I think the current low wattage cpu's eg. AMD E350 are a bit slow in the GPU department, but hopefully these new ones will be better. I think the AMD A4-5000 (15W) and A4-5200 (25W) will be good, not sure about the others due to their lower GPU clock speeds. E1-2X00 only supports 1333 speed ram, so would avoid that in favour of E2-3000 which supports 1600 ram and has a faster gpu clock. - These are all educated guesses of course.

Last edited:

fyx

Portal Member
    March 28, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A4-5000 it is, now just have to wait for the silicon to be available (hopefully integrated into a itx board)

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    I also have a E350 based Board and must say that I have serious issues with FullHD. My setup is as outlined in this thread. Codecs are only LAV with "DXVA2 native". MP displays FULL-HD unusable and interesting enough, latest VLC has the same problems(VLC GPU Acc. enabled).
    The file to display comes from my cable provider in the format (according to „Mediainfo“)
    7 680 Kbps, 1 280 * 720, AVC , High@L4.0

Heard on a forum with issues around the REALTEK HDMI drivers and a recommendation to use only AMD ones. Does anybody know about that ?

I would be happy if some of you guys that have a working E350 setup would test play one of my MP recorded files. I would provide a link with the video file (recorded from ARTE HD, 350MB) as a private message due to copyright fears.

Best regards
    Gerd

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What kind of issues?
    Heavy stuttering with both video and audio.

Dropped frames around 40-50 in one min, jitter around 9-11.

Could clock the RAM only to 1333.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom