Status
Not open for further replies.

arjen

Portal Member
February 24, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
GREAT APP.

However I do have a problem. Everything works except WOL over the 3G. Wifi WAN works and LAN works. Is this a bug in AMPdroid, or is this some other issue?

Arjen

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Did you know windows has seperate firewall options for private vs public network. make sure both boxes are ticked.

arjen

Portal Member
    February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Did you know windows has seperate firewall options for private vs public network. make sure both boxes are ticked.
    Yeah did that. The firewall is off for public and private network. Firewall is completely off. I even made rules in the firewall for AMPdroid and other AMPdroid related applications. Nothing worked. If I use another WOL app everything works over 3G.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ok, i havn't tried ampdroid over 3g, but that was something that came to mind, looks like you've already tried that. sometimes the router has different port forwarding settings for LAN/WAN. Are the ports open on this http://www.canyouseeme.org/

arjen

Portal Member
    February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    thnx for the tip. Tried it and all my ports were open (4322 and 8017).

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Not all routers (actually not many) will pass remote WOL.

I don't believe any netgears do (unless you run custom firmware). The two issues routers have is that WOL is broadcast, and you need a static ip/arp binding. If your router can handle these two requirements you should be fine.

Another option/solution is routers have a web page that allows you to wake local devices - not as slick though

J.

Ps - I run a draytek router which supports WOL passthru

arjen

Portal Member
    February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi there,

Not all routers (actually not many) will pass remote WOL.

I don't believe any netgears do (unless you run custom firmware). The two issues routers have is that WOL is broadcast, and you need a static ip/arp binding. If your router can handle these two requirements you should be fine.

Another option/solution is routers have a web page that allows you to wake local devices - not as slick though

J.

Ps - I run a draytek router which supports WOL passthru
    Thnx for the quick replies.

My router can handle both and I have a static IP. Not sure what you mean with arp binding though. My router is a thomson TG712. Strange though that only over de mobile phones 3G it is not working and only in AMPdroid. I have another app installed called Wake On Lan actually turns on the PC over 3G even if i send it over port 9 (witch is blocked on the router).

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I am puzzled by what you are saying trying to do?

You say WOL doesn't work over 3G, but you say you have installed an app and it does work? I assume you have installed the app on your phone (and your phone is not using wifi)

Static IP is completely separate thing.

Unless you server/HTPC has a public address, then you will need to configure your router to have the MAC address of your server/HTPC

J.

Lardy

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I had this issue. I had setup port forwarding to send udp/port9 traffic to my HTPC and it worked sometimes, other times not. My home router is a D-Link DSL-G604T, which it turns out doesn't support forwarding WOL packets very well. The issue was that sometimes my router had an arp entry for my HTPC and other times it didn't. The only way to ensure it always had one, was to set a static arp entry. This however doesn't survive a reboot of the router, but I can live with that as it doesn't happen very often. Here are my notes:
    • Access modem via browser at http://10.1.1.1:8080/
    • Tools tab>Admin>Remote Telnet Management
    • Enable and set IP & Netmask details of computer that will telnet to modem
    • $ telnet 10.1.1.1
    Trying 10.1.1.1...
    Connected to 10.1.1.1.
    Escape character is '^]'.

BusyBox on (none) login: admin
    Password: ********

BusyBox v0.61.pre (2007.05.09-12:40+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

# arp -s 10.255.255.254 FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
    # arp
    Address Hwtype Hwaddress Flags Mask Iface
    10.1.1.11 ether E0:CB:4E:24:F9:26 C br0
    10.255.255.254 ether FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF CM br0
    • Configure port forwarding on modem for UDP port 9 to 10.255.255.254
    • Note: Static ARP entry will not survive modem reboot
    This results in the address 10.255.255.254 becoming a pseudo broadcast address for the WOL packet on my LAN. Create a port forward for upd/port9 traffic to this address, send your WOL packet with the MAC of your HTPC's NIC to your routers external IP, and Job done.

Last edited:

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello,
    I don't know if it has been asked allready,

but I was wondering if you are planning to add gestures to the app, so you can slide with your finger to the menus.. I was using the Couchpotato app for the iphone, but I have bought a galaxy S3 so I like to use this app.. Gestures are working much better than buttons so I hope you will add this! :)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom