"An Unknown Error Has Occurred" message when attempting to tune All subchannels of 1 TV Station (1 Viewer)

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am running MePo 1.32 X86 on
    Windows 11
    Ryzen 9 7900X
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    1TB NVME Boot Drive
    4TB NVME Data drive
    RTX 3060 12GB

I have two, HDHomeRun Dual (HDHR4-2US) tuners. Whenever I try to tune any of the four subchannels of one channel in my area, I get a MePo Popup which says "An Unknown Error has occurred" - see attached screenshot.

As far as I know, all the other channels tune properly in MePo, and when using the HD Home Run software, I can tune these MePo problematic channels without problems.

I am attaching logs gathered when running MePo through the Media Portal Watchdog.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Attachments

• ChannelTune-UnknownError.png
      ChannelTune-UnknownError.png
      1 MB
    • MP_Logs_SKYVIEW_23_12_18_14_11.zip
      1.3 MB
    Last edited:

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    I am running MePo 1.32 X86 on
    Windows 11
    Ryzen 9 7900X
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    1TB NVME Boot Drive
    4TB NVME Data drive
    RTX 3060 12GB

I have two, HDHomeRun Dual (HDHR4-2US) tuners. Whenever I try to tune any of the four subchannels of one channel in my area, I get a MePo Popup which says "An Unknown Error has occurred" - see attached screenshot.

As far as I know, all the other channels tune properly in MePo, and when using the HD Home Run software, I can tune these MePo problematic channels without problems.

I am attaching logs gathered when running MePo through the Media Portal Watchdog.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

From the log:
    Code:
    dvb:  LockInOnSignal could not lock onto channel - no signal or bad signal

You can try to increase 'Tune' timeout parameter.

Attachments

• settings.JPG
      settings.JPG
      82.1 KB

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried a few values for the scan parameter that were greater than the value of 4 that was in there, and I ended up at 20. It made no difference.

In the TV Server Config app, I went to "TV Channels" -> "All Channels" selected the various problematic channels, then clicked "Preview" and all the channels play fine by doing that. See the attached screenshot.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the MySql error that comes up when I first start the TV Server config app (to me, it does not make sense that it would since all or most of the other channels tune properly)? See the attached error screenshot.

Lastly, I'm attaching a new set of logs that I grabbed with the Watch Dog after the successful channel "Preview(s)" just in case that might help.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• tv-channels-preview.png
      tv-channels-preview.png
      1.4 MB
    • mysql_data_error.png
      mysql_data_error.png
      42.8 KB
    • MP_Logs_SKYVIEW_23_12_18_20_26.zip
      1.3 MB

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Thanks for your reply.

I tried a few values for the scan parameter that were greater than the value of 4 that was in there, and I ended up at 20. It made no difference.

In the TV Server Config app, I went to "TV Channels" -> "All Channels" selected the various problematic channels, then clicked "Preview" and all the channels play fine by doing that. See the attached screenshot.

Is it possible that this has something to do with the MySql error that comes up when I first start the TV Server config app (to me, it does not make sense that it would since all or most of the other channels tune properly)? See the attached error screenshot.

Lastly, I'm attaching a new set of logs that I grabbed with the Watch Dog after the successful channel "Preview(s)" just in case that might help.

Thanks again.

The problem with the MySql is actually caused by MediaPortalIptvFilterAndUrlSourceSplitter plugin. The extension has been updated recently to support MP version 1.32. So please install the latest (x86) version.

After deep examination of the logs I have found some weird channel mess.
    Here is the SetupTv attempt:
    Code:
    Comet   Freq:-1 ONID:5 TSID:2185 SID:7 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:9  phys:9  maj:31 min:3 mod:Mod8Vsb //comet
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:5 TSID:2181 SID:7 PMT:0x70 FTA:True LCN:21 phys:21 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //fox
    Antenna Freq:-1 ONID:4 TSID:2185 SID:6 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:9  phys:9  maj:31 min:2 mod:Mod8Vsb //antenna
    TBD     Freq:-1 ONID:8 TSID:2187 SID:8 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:22 phys:22 maj:31 min:4 mod:Mod8Vsb //tbd

and now from your MP client:
    Code:
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:1 TSID:2189 SID:3 PMT:0x30 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //wuhf
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:1 TSID:2189 SID:3 PMT:0x30 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //fox
    Comet   Freq:-1 ONID:3 TSID:2189 SID:5 PMT:0x50 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:3 mod:Mod8Vsb //comet
    Antenna Freq:-1 ONID:2 TSID:2189 SID:4 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:2 mod:Mod8Vsb //antenna
    TBD     Freq:-1 ONID:4 TSID:2189 SID:6 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:4 mod:Mod8Vsb //tbd

There are tunning differencies. It seems like you have duplicated channels in the list. Please, can you post your exported data from the TvSetup?

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    The problem with the MySql is actually caused by MediaPortalIptvFilterAndUrlSourceSplitter plugin. The extension has been updated recently to support MP version 1.32. So please install the latest (x86) version.
    Thanks. The MePo team ought to give you a "Gold Star" for excellent support. :) That worked. Note that I did not have the plugin enabled in the TV Server Configuration app, however, I did have it installed in the Media Portal Configuration app, so I updated it there.
    After deep examination of the logs I have found some weird channel mess.
    Here is the SetupTv attempt:
    Code:
    Comet   Freq:-1 ONID:5 TSID:2185 SID:7 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:9  phys:9  maj:31 min:3 mod:Mod8Vsb //comet
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:5 TSID:2181 SID:7 PMT:0x70 FTA:True LCN:21 phys:21 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //fox
    Antenna Freq:-1 ONID:4 TSID:2185 SID:6 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:9  phys:9  maj:31 min:2 mod:Mod8Vsb //antenna
    TBD     Freq:-1 ONID:8 TSID:2187 SID:8 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:22 phys:22 maj:31 min:4 mod:Mod8Vsb //tbd
    The short story is that the stations in our area recently switched to ATSC 3.0 with ATSC 1.0 still supported for a few years yet. Channels were moved around, and these channels from the Setup TV attempt are correct, while the channels on phys 28 are the old station assignments. Nothing exists on physical channel 28 in our area anymore.
    and now from your MP client:
    Code:
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:1 TSID:2189 SID:3 PMT:0x30 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //wuhf
    FOX     Freq:-1 ONID:1 TSID:2189 SID:3 PMT:0x30 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:1 mod:Mod8Vsb //fox
    Comet   Freq:-1 ONID:3 TSID:2189 SID:5 PMT:0x50 FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:3 mod:Mod8Vsb //comet
    Antenna Freq:-1 ONID:2 TSID:2189 SID:4 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:2 mod:Mod8Vsb //antenna
    TBD     Freq:-1 ONID:4 TSID:2189 SID:6 PMT:0x0  FTA:True LCN:28 phys:28 maj:31 min:4 mod:Mod8Vsb //tbd

There are tunning differencies. It seems like you have duplicated channels in the list. Please, can you post your exported data from the TvSetup?
    As I said above, these channels on physical channel 28 no longer exist in our area and it makes sense that this is what is causing the error.

Something seems to be amiss between the TV Server and the MePo client where the client stations have not been properly updated. Seems like there might be an issue there?

I'm attaching the TV Server export as you requested.

In my opinion, after several channel rescans over the years since I've been using MePo, the channel list is a "mess" with duplicates and such.

My preference would be to delete all the existing channels (over individually picking and choosing which channels to delete) as long as the MePo Client channels get deleted also, and then do a fresh scan - even though that will mean some work to get the channels lined up in XML TV and under TV Mappings, and assuming that the MePo client channels would also be updated with the "fresh" scan. I do not see a way of deleting all the existing channels and then rescanning that is obvious to me.

Since there might be issues with channel scanning/rescanning/TV Server\Client synchronization, what is your recommended approach to either getting the MePo client synchronized with the TV Server and/or deleting all the existing channels and starting out "fresh" again?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• export.zip
      35.2 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    after several channel rescans over the years since I've been using MePo, the channel list is a "mess" with duplicates and such.
    When you perform a rescan, you should always select Enable channel movement detection, as this avoids the creation of duplicates, where possible. There are some types of channel change that TV Server cannot detect, and those do result in duplicates.

In the UK it is necessary to rescan every few months (because they keep changing things), and occasionally duplicates result. I deal with this by sorting the channel list numerically (using the first tab on the "TV Channels" panel in "TV Server Config"), and then examining it for two channels with the same number (they will now be adjacent in the list). I then use the "Preview" button to determine which of the two channels is the non-working one, and delete it. This avoids non-working channels accumulating in the list.

My preference would be to delete all the existing channels
    If your channel list is messed up, this is the easiest way to fix it. But remember that you lose all of the following:
    • Selection status of channels (deselected channels will become selected again).
    • Channel renames (channels revert to their broadcast names).
    • Recording schedule (you will need to recreate this, which is not easy for TV series that are between seasons, and so not in the current broadcast schedule).

as long as the MePo Client channels get deleted also
    I have not used an MP client, but as far as I know the MP client obtains all of its TV info dynamically from TV Server (i.e. the MP client does not maintain a cache of TV channels).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    When you perform a rescan, you should always select Enable channel movement detection, as this avoids the creation of duplicates, where possible. There are some types of channel change that TV Server cannot detect, and those do result in duplicates.
    Thanks for your reply.

While "Enable channel movement detection" is an option for DVB, it does not appear as an option for the HDHomeRun tuners. Please see the attached screenshots.
    In the UK it is necessary to rescan every few months (because they keep changing things), and occasionally duplicates result. I deal with this by sorting the channel list numerically (using the first tab on the "TV Channels" panel in "TV Server Config"), and then examining it for two channels with the same number (they will now be adjacent in the list). I then use the "Preview" button to determine which of the two channels is the non-working one, and delete it. This avoids non-working channels accumulating in the list.
    It would seem that this is the only option that I have to rectify the issue. I'll give it a try.
    If your channel list is messed up, this is the easiest way to fix it. But remember that you lose all of the following:
    • Selection status of channels (deselected channels will become selected again).
    • Channel renames (channels revert to their broadcast names).
    • Recording schedule (you will need to recreate this, which is not easy for TV series that are between seasons, and so not in the current broadcast schedule).

I have not used an MP client, but as far as I know the MP client obtains all of its TV info dynamically from TV Server (i.e. the MP client does not maintain a cache of TV channels).
    I have not looked at the xml export from the TV Server myself, but I know from @Pablik that the TV Server is tuning the correct channels, and the MePo client is not. The question seems to be Where is the MePo client getting the incorrect channel data from? I'll look at it at some point in the next week or so. Unfortunately, my time is limited and I doubt I will be able to get to it as soon as I would like to. I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• DVBChannelScan.png
      DVBChannelScan.png
      169.2 KB
    • Channel_Scan.png
      Channel_Scan.png
      166.4 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    While "Enable channel movement detection" is an option for DVB, it does not appear as an option for the HDHomeRun tuners.
    Sorry for the bad advice, but I have not used HdHomeRun tuners or the US ATSC system. :(

Actually, SiliconDust do sell a version of their network tuners for DVB-T in the UK, and I suspect that the ability to detect channel movement is related to the broadcast system (i.e. DVB-T compared to ATSC), and not related to the tuner type (i.e. a PCI-Express tuner compared to a network tuner), but this is just a guess.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Sorry for the bad advice, but I have not used HdHomeRun tuners or the US ATSC system. :(
    Honestly, I would rather receive bad advice than no advice at all, and its something that I might have done myself. Your advice about how to sort and handle the channels in "TV Channels" is something that I did not think of (and I'm a programmer by profession:eek:) and is very good advice, IMO. I was concerned that deleting channels might make things worse, but using "Preview" is also great advice. Thus, thanks for the advice given; IMO, MePo is one of the best open-source projects especially when people need help.
    Actually, SiliconDust do sell a version of their network tuners for DVB-T in the UK, and I suspect that the ability to detect channel movement is related to the broadcast system (i.e. DVB-T compared to ATSC), and not related to the tuner type (i.e. a PCI-Express tuner compared to a network tuner), but this is just a guess.
    That could very well be.

I hope to get back to this soon. Its somewhat befuddling. Hopefully, a good housecleaning of channels will clean it up. I will look at the xml to see if the channels on physical channel 28 are still in there, and go from there as that should give a clue as to what is going on.

Thanks again.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Finally got back to posting to this thread. @CyberSimian I had a chance to use your method of deleting duplicate channels, and it, in general, worked. There were two stations that had multiple copies of the channel, and when I deleted one, it deleted all of the other copies of the channel, too. Thanks for the advice.

The only "issue" that I see remaining is that if I repeat a channel scan, some channels - apparently the same channels each time - get duplicated necessitating a manual deletion of these duplicated channels.

If anyone wants more info, it may have to wait due to other things I have to take care of ATM.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom