Anyone else find it slow? (1 Viewer)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
If I understand Cheetah's question, I would also like an answer. By default, it seems that "My Music" starts on the last view used. However, this can take a long time, if it was last in a share or a track view. How can I tell My Music to always start in the "Artist" view, for example?

Thats what I meant yeah....

EddieGlitter

Portal Member
February 12, 2009
Brisbane
Home Country
Hi, I have recently built my own media pc and I'm using Media Portal. All up, things are working well, but I also find the music very slow. I have updated to the latest version of MP. I have over 90GB (19,000 files) of music stored on another PC (650gb HDD, 4gb rm) I am running my music, picture & movies over a wireless network. Movies play fine, infact you wouldn't know they were running from another PC. However, the music is an issue. It plays nice, but after you have found a track'played it and then go it view the libary again, it is very slow, up to 2 mins to fresh the list. I have built a database, but I didn't want the tracks on 2 machines and this didn't speed this up. I have scanned the forum for correct setting, but there seem to be so many, use sharded, don't use sharded, don't use tags etc. None of this seems to speed things up. At the end of the day I just want to store my music on my main PC and stream everthing to my music system via MP. But I can't find the correct answers for setup or will it always be this slow. I have used Codeware's MYRSS Tunes to play across the network to my childrens Wii. This works very well. If I can't speed up MP by the standard setting, can I point it to read the MYRSS database ? Please help. I love MP, but for music it need to be faster. Thanks Eddie

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi EddieGlitter,

Have you tried to connect the 2 machines with a networkcable instead of wireless?
    Even though you're browsing the same machine, there's a difference between starting to play 1 movie file and streaming the remaining part as needed or browsing for a directory/folder with a lot of files.
    By connecting them through cables - via a switch/router, or a crosslink/crossover directly between 2 pc's - you can eliminate your network as a possible cause. I would think your problem lies there.

Regarding your music: are you having not to much files in 1 directory?
    In the beginning I didn't really have a system for arranging my music (+15000) and with the version of MP I was using then, I also had that delay when opening a folder.
    Now, I have about 26 folders with the genre and in there I have arranged everything, either sub-genre or artist/name of the band. If I have more then 1 cd from that artist/band, I subdivide that folder again with the name of that cd and in case of a double cd, I subdivide that folder again with CD1 & CD2.
    Something else, I had started to use spaces in filenames but after some time, I replaced them with underscores.
    In case of 'single files' - one or a few files from an artist/band, I always create a '1_various' folder (mark the 1 and underscore to put it at the top), that way the structure is not cluttered and I never have to search for something.
    On my system, browsing really goes fast now.

I hope this helps,
    P.

EddieGlitter

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Hi Peter, unfortunatey going to cable isn't an option as my network hub and main pc are in the study 15 metres away. Thanks for your comments regarding folders, this option had crossed my mind. Sort my folders by gene or artist. I was hoping that I could link mymusic to the MYTUNES RSS server as this runs very fast compared to the MP link. Or I was hoping that maybe there was a setting or tick box that I had missed that would make things faster. I will keep tryinging. Eddie

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Could you not, just as a test, move one of the pc's nearby the other one?
    As long as your not sure whether it's your wireless connection that is giving you a headache, I would not search elsewhere for a solution/improvement.

It's a pity that your experience is somehow influenced by this lag.
    When I started using MP I also had some drawbacks which made me doubt of the usability in every day life but since my system runs smoothly and with the latest versions of MP where the response to the remote has increased, I would not want to miss it anymore.

Oh yeah, I don't think that having tags or not makes a difference in terms of speed, but maybe someone else can comment on this.

Like I said, just give it a try by moving one pc temporarily close to the other to be sure about your network connection so you can eliminate that. It's the easiest thing you can do yourself, it just takes some time but in case you do make sure you've got the right networkcable.

EddieGlitter

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    OK, I'm going to move the Media pc back into the study and try running it next to the main pc, wireless and cable, just to see the difference. I will also setup some folders based on music style & or alpha. I will let you know how I go.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    What is the number of items in the folder(s) where you stored your music?

EddieGlitter

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Hi, I am using iTunes to load all my music. There are around 2166 folders, split by artist. MP is set to point at music/iTunes. The tree then displays all the folders. This is the bit that takes a long time, especially after playing a track or track list under an album or artist. It appears that it wants to re-load the complete list, not just refresh it.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I should have asked this first :sorry:
    Guess that this is your biggest problem, the amount of items (folders/files) in 1 level and I doubt that there is a way to improve this without a change of the structure.

Maybe someone else here can comment on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom