Anyone else find it slow? (1 Viewer)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    This is why we have introduced the grouping by alphabet on the Top Level of the views.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the standard views for artist/album Arist group on the first letter.
    so you don't see all your 2000 different artists at once, which could lead to performance problems.

instead you see letters # (which includes all numbers), A-Z.
    selecting "A" ahows only artists starting with a, maybe 200 or so, which is displayed quite fast.

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi hwahrmann, thank you for this tip because I didn't know this but I wonder: is this not only influencing the representation of a list or does it also improve browsing?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    well the amount of data returned is far less than querying the whole set of the database.
    so we have a lot less of items to be inserted ino the item list of the GUI and thus it is faster.

EddieGlitter

Portal Member
    February 12, 2009
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Hi hwahrmann, thanks for the tip. Media Portal music is now running like a dream. Oh, if we only all knew these little tips. Thanks very much. Now all I need to do it get the ESC key on the keyboard working on my remote. Then I'm going to build my 2nd box. Life will never be the same. Any tips here ?

BadSeed

Portal Member
    February 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Is this the final word on the slow library, to use an index so the top level has 26 results?

I like to have all my artists in the top level so I can browse by remote until something catches my eye, being greeted with an alphabet is not very aesthetic.
    I am sure I am not alone in this.
    Anyway, I have 426 artists in the top level and the library is so slow it is unusable. The response from the db is atrocious.

I use the AlbumArtist view(with the index level removed) and all the music files are located on a NAS device. I would have thought that after the db was created there shouldn't be any delay in browsing.
    Why is it so slow, Meedio used a database for the same thing and browsing/scrolling was instant.

The answer that you should look through each alpha character individually doesn't seem too practical to me, I mean some artists may have 40 or more albums many band names may have the same initial letter.

Is there anyway we can speed it up? Is there any settings in the thumbnails config which will speed it up?
    I am mainly using Shoutcast for music as my Music library is too frustrating at the moment.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I have all my music on the NAS as well and if i have > 1700 AlbumArtists and for me the response is fine, taking into account that a lot of data including covers is shown.

So, yes. This is the final word.
    Don't know what we can do more on that

BadSeed

Portal Member
    February 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks for the response.
    Looks like having:
    A
    B
    C
    etc

Is the only way I can have a more responsive system, I will have to live with it.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom