Anyone using a PDA or Mobile as a remote? (1 Viewer)

cheetah05

Portal Pro
April 9, 2006
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I do have a good remote that I use most of the time (Imon), but sometimes I use my Nokia 6230i as a remote. I use Puppetmaster for that (just google on Puppetmaster). You can use it for almost every BT-java phone. Somewhere on this forum the must be a puppetmaster-keymap for MP as well.

Thanks, I will look into this when i get my bluetooth dongle.

Thanks again.

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
Yeah that was the program i was thinking about but i don't think it is in development anymore and i don't think it would work for me since my pda doesn't run windows mobile. i am very interested in this idea though and would love to help any way i can.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    cheetah05 - take a look at this thread. The only downfall is that the two guys who have been working on that project have been around the forums for awhile - so we don't know the status!

Interesting, I am looking into creating my own version of this, but I know absolutely nothing about media portal and how it deals with data, so I am hoping someone will give me some information on how that works for sections like the music section.

I am also worried, that with v0.3 being put into development, that the program i create will become obsolete.

I would suggest working a plugin that is less complex first - then if I where you, I would be on IRC and chat with developers asking questions like: if any methods you maybe using could be going away with the next version.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Thanks for the responses. I have some some work in .NET framework before (VB.NET), but I haven't a clue about things like the Compact .NET framework and developing for PDAs.

NeoLuddite - Since I am not the greatest of programmers, I am only able to work in .NET, so if you can't get the Compact .NET framework on your PDA, your stuck as this is the only effective way of achieving exactly what is needed.

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I've been using "Bluetooth Remote control" which works on any java enabled bluetooth phone.
    It works well though it is commercial not freeware.
    I just configured it to send keystrokes (Up, Down, etc) to MP and also to start MP.

Cheers,

Nick Name

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    I've been using "Bluetooth Remote control" which works on any java enabled bluetooth phone.
    It works well though it is commercial not freeware.
    I just configured it to send keystrokes (Up, Down, etc) to MP and also to start MP.

Cheers,

Nick Name

Excellent, thanks for the info, care to share your keystroke settings, if you can?

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Sure here you go cheetah05.

Just "Import" it. It's only very simple but it does enough to drive Mediaportal i.e. Up & Down through menus, press <ENTER> to play & select stuff and Stop to stop Videos, etc. playing.
    Note: You may want to make another option to run a program so you can start Mediaportal.

Enjoy,

Nick Name.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Right, guys I have decided to try and create my own PPC remote for media portal.

So far I have got to the stage of providing basic functionality for a remote like changing sections, but its not on the pocket pc framework yet.

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    I am currently working on the EPG guide (basics of it) and was wondering how people thought it should work.

Should I show whats currently on for all the channels and have the options for whats on later/earlier.

Or should i show it one channel at a time with a list of whats on that channel?

Baring in mind that eventually i want to have the ability to set recordings and maybe reminders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom