Anyone using an Eee Box? (1 Viewer)

squidina

Portal Member
August 5, 2005
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking at putting a client in our bedroom, but I need to make it as unobtrusive and quiet as possible. I was looking at building one in a Silvertek LC19 case, but my wife is not convinced by the size of the box ( nor the cost of what I was thinking component wise if the truth be known ).

I saw one of the Eee Box ( EeeBox specs ) machines the other day and I think this looks like it may fit both budget and WAF as it can essentially be hidden behind the TV. I don't need any HD capable hardware at the moment, so I thought this may provide a good stop gap until we upgrade the TV.

Is anyone using one with MP currently, or does anyone have any opinions on this machine? Will it have enough grunt to stream video and live TV from my server? I'd ideally like to be able to stream everything off the server, including my Foxtel connection, but I'm concerned this box may not have enough processing power for it.

Thanks in advance -- Stuart

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I'm sure it will stream SD just fine, but forget HD, even 720p kills my netbook whick is based on same hardware (Atom 1,6)

Neither the CPU or the chipset has any built-in hardware-decoding of H.264, and the CPU isn't powerfull enough to do it in software.

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    I'm sure it will stream SD just fine, but forget HD, even 720p kills my netbook whick is based on same hardware (Atom 1,6)

Hmmmm... that sounds positive. I don't use HD at the moment as our money seems to be spent everywhere else than on the TV in the bedroom. My current plan is that when we do come to upgrade the TV, I'll probably replace the pc at the same time to take advantage of it.

Thanks for your input, it gives me a bit more confidence I'll be able to do what I hoped.

Cheers -- Stuart

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    interesting, I read a review of one a few days ago and the reviewer said it had no trouble at all with 720, but 1080 totally failed.
    Maybe streaming 720 takes just that little bit too much extra...

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2006
    Ok, quick update . . .

I have been running an eeeBox in the bedroom for a couple of weeks now. Very sexy little unit. Goes nice with my 32" Sony LCDTV.
    The eeeBox comes with XP Home (bummer huh). I installed all MS updates and Media Portal RC3.
    The performance is pretty good for such a small box. I have tested a lot of video content, SD avi, 720p mkv and DVD. All these format stream to the eeebox just fine when using LAN. I did some testing using WLAN but the 720p mkv did not stream good at all.
    Streaming SD Def satellite TV looks mint.
    A couple of days ago I decided to overclock the eebox using BIOS settings (very easy to). I overclocked both CPU and Graphics core. The box is still running as stable as ever and I have noticed a small performance gain in Media Portal.
    Another thing that does work mint is hibernate. I am using a spare MCE remote I had lying around.

So, all in all the eeeBox is pretty good. I wouldn't use as a main client but for the bedroom it is just mint.

Just keep in mind that dual cores will not be far away.

If anyone wants to know anything about the eeeBox, ask away and I will try to answer.

Bartmannz

October 1, 2008
    I using one in the bedroom as client too. No problems with playing anything so far.

I don't have an N wireless Router but I know from testing my G wireless is only good for streaming non HD content. My house is doesn't seem to like wireless unless its line of sight, so the bedroom is wired to the LAN now.

One thing that stands out is how PERFECTLY the EEE PC goes into and recovers from standby. The included XP home is fine, its not like its being used for anything other than to load MP.

Its a great little box, perfect for this sort of thing, its as good as silent and uses next to no power. I only wish MP had a better way of setting a sleep timer than using the 'alarm' plugin.

squidina

Portal Member
    August 5, 2005
    That's great news, guys. I haven't yet taken the plunge as "real life" has unfortunetly gotten in the way of my media routing dreams.

I'll probably take another look at the EEEPC at some point, but it's good to know at least some people have it working perfectly.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I have an MSI wind, which also has an Atom 1,6 ghz, and while 720p mkvs kinda work with coreavc and deblocking off, it is really on the edge and there are def. dropped frames, even on low bitrate mkvs. Forget 1080p. If you have 720p with a bit higher bitrate it also gets unwatchable.

So no, they are not HD capable :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom