Anyone using an Eee Box? (1 Viewer)

ssin

November 17, 2008
My experience

Hi all,
i've buyed an eee box (black) 3 days ago. That my contribute to this thread:

1) asus eee box consume form 21 Watt (wireless off) to 26 watt (Wireless on, working on hdd, hd film running). Incredible!
2) it has 4 usb plugs. 2 back and 2 front. I've tried to attach simultaneously a tv card (usb) and an IR plug (usb) on back, failing because the tv card is too large. Same on the front.
3) the blue light on start button is too powerful. Can't sleep on night if eee box is in the same room without something covering it.
4) everything works fine form me. even HD 720p. I've a sharp 32".
5) Very fast startup.
6) In stand by and when if off (yes, off) it consume 8 Watt (obviously if connected to energy) so for me the best solution is to keep it on 24/24 as a little server when i'm not at home.

In conclusion i think i've spent well my money.

pnyberg

Portal Pro
August 21, 2006
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi all,
i've buyed an eee box (black) 3 days ago. That my contribute to this thread:

1) asus eee box consume form 21 Watt (wireless off) to 26 watt (Wireless on, working on hdd, hd film running). Incredible!
2) it has 4 usb plugs. 2 back and 2 front. I've tried to attach simultaneously a tv card (usb) and an IR plug (usb) on back, failing because the tv card is too large. Same on the front.
3) the blue light on start button is too powerful. Can't sleep on night if eee box is in the same room without something covering it.
4) everything works fine form me. even HD 720p. I've a sharp 32".
5) Very fast startup.
6) In stand by and when if off (yes, off) it consume 8 Watt (obviously if connected to energy) so for me the best solution is to keep it on 24/24 as a little server when i'm not at home.

In conclusion i think i've spent well my money.

Point 4, Are you referring to Live TV (h.264) or a saved movie on HDD?
Thanks!

Jean-Marc

Portal Pro
February 28, 2007
Home Country
France France
Hi everybody, very interesting topic..

...so that I now plan to use 1 eeebox as a front end in every bedroom!

I have 3 questions for those who are using it with MP:

1- Is it noisy when streaming, for example, an HD 720 video or live SD TV? Or is it fanless?
2- Do you use it with USB remote?
3- I don't need a TV in the bedrooms because an (about) 20"" screen is enough. So do you have any recomandation for the associated LCD screen (with included sound) ?

Thanks in advance!!

ssin

November 17, 2008
I were talking about HDD saved films.
I 've tried with HDD (D:\DATA - eee box HDD default partition) and with external USB 2.0 HDD (maxtor 1TB). No problems even with HD720 divx in mkv format.

Until now:

1) I've tried to attach simultaneously:
  • DAZZLE (pinnacle) TV DVB-T Hybrid Stick (using an USB male-female 50cm extention) because stick is too large to fit with another one plugged in the same side
  • Maxtor HDD USB 1TByte
  • USB IRda plug for my remote EZ@HOME controller
  • Exagerate BT adaptor for PHONIX PBT-10 headset

The result is that consumption grows up to 24-28 Watt even with TV or film on.

2) I've found a lot of problems with BT adaptor. asus recognize it, recognize phonix but no service available so i can't use headset. So probabily it's my fault.

3) Actually i'm using the (quite) perfect EZ@HOME remote controller because the other one that i've bought months ago (hauppauge remote MC 226) works only with VISTA or Microsot Media Center (no XP). Why "quite"? Because it's too heavy (it has a laser control and a trackball built-in) and has a very bad disposition of arrows buttons. Also i actually can't generate any words so chatting in skype4mp is impossible for me.

4) MP works well with HDD in films section. I've tried to remove and re-attach "on the fly" the usb connector and MP update automatically film's list, screenshots and imdb entry.

5) windows XP hasn't the perfect screen resolution for my SHARP LCD 32". Code is Sharp LC-32P55E. But i've solved with MP :)

6) When asus goes to stand-by i can't return to normal mode. Actually the only way form me is to force OS restart.

Thank all and sorry for my english.

I've slept since last 3 days with eee box on (while downloading). You can ear something but it's NOT enough to avoid your sleep. 26DB is less than a fly in the opposite side of your rooms. For me the real problem was the incredible powerful blue light on start button! It's like a lighthouse! First night i was walking in my apartment shouting: "arrgh my eyes!! my eyes!!!" :)

TranceManNZ

Portal Pro
July 30, 2006
Thanks ssin for your review.

@TranceManNZ - now when you are avoiding rtsp - how is Live 720P, h.264 broadcast working for your eee box?

Thanks in advance..

Got it all working and tested with both CoreAVC and PowerDVD codecs.
To date the best result is with using PowerDVD. Still doesn't run perfect with the odd glitch. Also as the eeebox is no power house, using any gui overlays is rather slow.
With CoreAVC the channels start playing heaps faster but I can not manger to get the sound insyc. Not sure if this is a audio codec issue or just the fact that the little box doesn't have enough power.
I will do so more testing this week and monitor cpu load.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom