ASIO Music Player Plugin (1 Viewer)

What functionality would you like to be added?

• VST plugin support

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • WinAmp DSP plugin support

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • BASS DSP support

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Last.fm support

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Visualizations

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patricon

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Spain Spain
Symphy, as always, thanks for your great plugin. I have a question, when using visualizations among PureAudio, how can i calibrate the synchronization with the sound? there is a slider for compensating the latency, but what is the best way to adjust this with some accuracy?

regards,

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I assume you use ASIO4ALL with those devices. Those 8 channels actually represent the 7.1 analog outputs. s/pdif should then be tapped somewhere from channel 1 and 2, which are left and right channel. Only few devices with native ASIO drivers have seperate asio channels for s/pdif, those channels will most likely have names indicating they are spdif.

Yes, I'm using ASIO4ALL, but I can't seem to get it to work. When I enable your plugin with First Ch as Channel 1 and Last Ch as Channel 2, I continue to see "NO DATA" at the receiver over the SPDIF. Do you have any idea as to why this doesn't seem to work in Vista? Someone has reported that this card doesn't output anything below 96 kHz in Vista for some strange reason. So, if your plugin supported a MINIMUM sampling rate or 96 kHz, perhaps I could get this to work? (The maximum MINIMUM sampling setting in your plugin is 48 kHz). :D

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Symphy, as always, thanks for your great plugin. I have a question, when using visualizations among PureAudio, how can i calibrate the synchronization with the sound? there is a slider for compensating the latency, but what is the best way to adjust this with some accuracy?

regards,

It's just a matter of listening and looking. It is not as critical as the lipsinc in movies, but after awhile you will see if the vis response is later (or earlier) then the music you hear. On my HTPC+LCD TV i use it at -50, and on my dev machine 0 is sufficient. So start at zero and adjust a little if needed.

Yes, I'm using ASIO4ALL, but I can't seem to get it to work. When I enable your plugin with First Ch as Channel 1 and Last Ch as Channel 2, I continue to see "NO DATA" at the receiver over the SPDIF. Do you have any idea as to why this doesn't seem to work in Vista? Someone has reported that this card doesn't output anything below 96 kHz in Vista for some strange reason. So, if your plugin supported a MINIMUM sampling rate or 96 kHz, perhaps I could get this to work? (The maximum MINIMUM sampling setting in your plugin is 48 kHz). :D

I have no experience with Vista, but i get the impression Vista and sound is a bad combination for some...

What goal are you trying to achieve? If you want to play DTS, it's never gonna work with any device that does resampling. It needs to able to output at 44100 directly. If it's just to feed your stereo with mp3 etc, i would try to use windows waveout instead of ASIO. Maybe that gives a signal on spdif, resampled or not.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    I have no experience with Vista, but i get the impression Vista and sound is a bad combination for some...

What goal are you trying to achieve? If you want to play DTS, it's never gonna work with any device that does resampling. It needs to able to output at 44100 directly. If it's just to feed your stereo with mp3 etc, i would try to use windows waveout instead of ASIO. Maybe that gives a signal on spdif, resampled or not.

I think it's just poorly written WDM Vista drivers that, for some reason, find the need to resample more frequently than drivers from the same manufacturer written for XP. Yes, my goal is simply to get non-resampled sound from FLACs and MP3s. But, yeah, directsound works fine. You say WaveOut? I don't think that that would make any difference from DS, as they are both emulated over new Vista audio pathway, the WASAPI.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    UPDATE: I flashed my Chaintech to the eeprom of a Prodigy and finally I have bit perfect playback with this inexpensive card in VISTA as confirmed by playback of dts wave files. Auto-switching of sampling rates between music PCM files and movie works as well. :eek:

:D

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ...But, yeah, directsound works fine. You say WaveOut? I don't think that that would make any difference from DS, as they are both emulated over new Vista audio pathway, the WASAPI.
    You're right. I have the tendency to talk about waveout while i actually mean directsound. This plugin plays over DS when in "Windows device" mode.
    UPDATE: I flashed my Chaintech to the eeprom of a Prodigy and finally I have bit perfect playback with this inexpensive card in VISTA as confirmed by playback of dts wave files. Auto-switching of sampling rates between music PCM files and movie works as well.
    Interesting, what drivers do you use in this setup?

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm using the Prodigy 7.1 drivers from Audiotrak. The only thing that doesn't seem to work quite right is the Shoutcast plugin. I can play the first stream, however, I can't seem to switch to another stream, nor any music files. They simply don't play. I have to restart the entire MediaPortal in order to play more music.

anvandarnamn

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just want to say thanks for this great plugin !!!

getting flawless bitperfect audio with my onboard soundcard!

btw; hope to see this in MediaPortal 2 ;-)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm using the Prodigy 7.1 drivers from Audiotrak. The only thing that doesn't seem to work quite right is the Shoutcast plugin. I can play the first stream, however, I can't seem to switch to another stream, nor any music files. They simply don't play. I have to restart the entire MediaPortal in order to play more music.

Most likely cause: The samplingrate of the second stream you tried to play is not supported by the ASIO device. I got the same problem when trying a stream that was 32000 kHz...

Solution: In the plugin config (Advanced settings/ASIO), you can manually set the minimum and maximum supported rates. Set minimum to 44100 and try again. PureAudio will then resample anything below 44100 up to 44100.

Most setups using ASIO4ALL probably do not support rates below 44100, so more users might have the same problem. I don't have a suitable way of autodetecting yet, so you have to set it manually. If you don't know what values to use, just set minimum to 44100 and maximum to 48000. That should work on most setups(Audigy/Creative ASIO users: both 48000!).

btw; hope to see this in MediaPortal 2 ;-)

That might take awhile.... I just accepted a new job, so development of this plugin will be somewhat slow the coming months.

I'm currently trying to get this plugin to work together with the last.fm radio plugin. I'm not sure if that will ever be 100% succesfull, i'm having a lot of issues...
    After that DSP support will be added, i don't expect any problems there though.

When that's done, i'll look into MP II possibilities.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom