ASIO Music Player Plugin (1 Viewer)

What functionality would you like to be added?

• VST plugin support

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • WinAmp DSP plugin support

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • BASS DSP support

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Last.fm support

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • Visualizations

Votes: 25 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    Thanks, great work !!!! This PlugIn is exactly what I was looking for.
    Just one thing left: If I change to TV, after listen music (using visualisation), the OSD is flickering constant - skin independent.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

felo

Portal Pro
    October 9, 2007
    In Hell.
    Home Country
    Hi!
    I have a problem, and is not sound related.
    When i enable the plugin, i go to my Music and pick the first song in a folder, it just scroll down to the botton and plays nothing.
    I try diff skins but nothing, do you think could be svn related?

Cheers! :(

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks, great work !!!! This PlugIn is exactly what I was looking for.
    Just one thing left: If I change to TV, after listen music (using visualisation), the OSD is flickering constant - skin independent.

Does this happen if you start TV while the music is still playing? If so, please try pressing stop first and then go to TV. If this workaround solves the problem, i think i know how to fix it.

Symphy

Olli0815

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2006
    No, it appears when I stop the music before (my music, home, basic home).
    I am using TVE3 - single seat (at least on this PC as it acts as the TV server, too).

Anybody else who has the same issue??

Olli

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just one thing left: If I change to TV, after listen music (using visualisation), the OSD is flickering constant

:oops:

Ok I've found the problem. Happens always, so you're probably not the only one. You have to restart MP to get rid of it. Fixing it won't be hard, so a bugfix release will be available soon.

Symphy

Telstar

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello Symphy.

On my test computer the audio quality (in Vista) with MP using asio bass player is already better than WMP. This plugin could only make me a happier audiophile.

I'm (still) building a HTPC and it will not use any internal soundcard, but an external USB DAC/Amplifier.
    I think m-Audio makes a usb ASIO driver (not free i think). If someone has an usb soundcard or DAC and can try your plugin it would be great.

Second point, i planned to use foobar with an upsampling plugin (both are free). Will this work? I haven't tried yet.
    My source files are mostly bit-perfect FLAC ripped from the CDs I own.

Oh another thing, I really like the crossfade of BASS player so I would like that feature to be implemented (as optional) in the future.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ...I think m-Audio makes a usb ASIO driver (not free i think). If someone has an usb soundcard or DAC and can try your plugin it would be great.
    Hi Telstar,
    M-audio makes great equipment, but definately not for free :rolleyes: Because their products are targeted towards musicians, ASIO support is not going to be a problem. Personally i use an AudioPhile 2496 over ASIO (non-USB), solid like a rock. However, another user experienced problems using an USB device, allthough it was not m-audio and using asio4all drivers. You can find the posts regarding this upwards in this thread.
    ...Second point, i planned to use foobar with an upsampling plugin (both are free). Will this work? I haven't tried yet....
    No experience with foobar. I have considered adding an oversampling option to my plugin (actually build a prototype). My audiophile handles 88200 and 96000 without problems, but i have my doubts if doing this actually improves anything. Adding it is pretty simple though. Through the BASS library i have 8 point sinc interpolation available. So if you're interested...
    Oh another thing, I really like the crossfade of BASS player so I would like that feature to be implemented (as optional) in the future.
    You're the first to bring this up. Personally i don't see the point at all, but who am i :) If many ppl ask for i might concider implementing it. But for now i'll work on better DTS/AC3 passthrough functionality, last.fm and DSP's.

Regards,
    Symphy

Telstar

Portal Pro
    October 18, 2007
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hello Symphy,

Thanks for the reply!

M-audio makes great equipment, but definately not for free :rolleyes: Because their products are targeted towards musicians, ASIO support is not going to be a problem. Personally i use an AudioPhile 2496 over ASIO (non-USB), solid like a rock. However, another user experienced problems using an USB device, allthough it was not m-audio and using asio4all drivers. You can find the posts regarding this upwards in this thread.

I like m-audio soundcards but i find their loudspeakers horrible.
    Anyway, since i dont need 5.1 or 7.1 setup for now, i went usb route because putting the DAC outside of the pc (for how silent my HTPC will be there still can be interferences). USB (or firewire) should attain the most pristine audio quality. Some example of the current offer:

-Benchmark Media DAC1 ~1000$
    -Aqvox USB D/A mkI ~$900 and mkII~1200$ (does upsampling to 24/192)
    -Bel Canto DAC3 ~$2500 (this one does upsampling, but requires an amplifier)
    -Bel Canto S300iu (no upsampling but includes excellent class D dual mono amplification) ~$2500
    -Empirical Audio Spoiler USB TubeDAC ~$5600
    Many more will be released from many high-end audio equipment manifacturers.

Besides the excessive price of the Spoiler, they provide a throughtful analysis of using audio through usb from a computer source, of which some is exposed in this review on 6moons:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/empirical/offramp.html

I considered the above as opposite to buying a soundcard of the calibre of Lynx, RME and EMU (that with all given respect are superior to the m-audio audiophile) either internal or external AND a high-end amplifier.

About implementing audio over USB in windows, this is what I found out:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=20557
    and literature over empirical website.

No experience with foobar. I have considered adding an oversampling option to my plugin (actually build a prototype). My audiophile handles 88200 and 96000 without problems, but i have my doubts if doing this actually improves anything. Adding it is pretty simple though. Through the BASS library i have 8 point sinc interpolation available. So if you're interested...

Foobar plugin (not sure the name) allows SOFTWARE upsampling to 24bit/96khz (192 soon hopefully). Any dual core cpu can handle that with low cpu usage and no cost. The quality should be better than any soundcard internal DAC, including your m-audio audiophile. My DAC does not upsample, so I will go for the software route. From what I have read going from 16/44 to 24/96 improves A LOT with a cd-like source (and a sufficiently good config). I suggest you to do some experiment with upscaling and check into foobar and its plugins.

Are you developing in XP or Vista? ASIO is the only way to play music in XP, but in Vista k-muxer is less distorted. I'm intrigued by the Vista room correction that may be somewhat implemented in MP. For movies I will accept the use of virtual dolby surround.

Crossfade is secondary, I like it only when using my playlists, but not for listening of a given cd.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ok with that kind of equipment an AP2496 can never compete :D

Thanx for the supplied links, will have a look at it.

The BASS library my plugin is based on has some limitations. Samplingrate max 96000. The 8 point sinc interpolation algorithm is nothing special these days. I cannot handle 24 bit audio directly, but floating-point instead. So i can have the 16 bit converted to floating point, upsample and feed it to the device. In case of ASIO, it is then translated to 32 bit integer for most ASIO devices. I have no control over how these conversions take place though, or i should toss parts of the library and build them myself.

I develop only on XP currently and have no experience with Vista yet.

Implementing crossfading is gonna be quite a lot of work (i did not take that in account when designing, i focussed completely on gapless), that's why i'm holding it off for now :)
    All i can give you is doubling the samplingrate and floating-point right now.

There is a foobar plugin available for MP, but it cannot be combined with my plugin somehow, only one external player is used at a time.

Regards,
    Symphy

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom